State to ban direct sales of Tesla cars

Texas is not North Carolina. Title and deliver the cars in Texas if they want. Tesla is not above state law.

No one said it is "above the law"... it is about the state creating monopolies and not allowing competition. It is not for reasons that you state. Taxes are collected... cars are registered... you are creating silly red herrings for the sake of arguing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that consumers should be given the choice. But the question of whether Tesla can 'afford' to set up a dealer network is immaterial since they could cut a deal with a local dealership. Tesla is choosing to market directly because wants to increase its profits. I suspect the main reason for the proposed ban is the dealers are worried about other car markers getting the same idea which could destroy their entire business model.

Whether or not they could cut a deal with a dealer is irrelevant since they should be free to have a different business model. You even agree with that, and yet you are still arguing the point!

Let consumers decide which business model they would prefer to deal with... why should there be government interference to this degree in cars but not in book sales?

No one said it is "above the law"... it is about the state creating monopolies and not allowing competition. It is not for reasons that you state. Taxes are collected... cars are registered... you are creating silly red herrings for the sake of arguing.

Nonsene...you just don't like being "argued" with. The state has a vested interest in regulating motor vehicle sales. Buying "gray market" Euro cars back in the 80's presented the identical problem. Tesla makes more money selling carbon credits.

Let consumers decide which business model they would prefer to deal with... why should there be government interference to this degree in cars but not in book sales?

I agree - but I say the same for cheese and milk, retail stores, alcohol or any other category where small local operators are protected from competition at the expense of the consumer. Edited by TimG

I agree - but I say the same for cheese and milk, retail stores, alcohol or any other category where small local operators are protected from competition at the expense of the consumer.

Agreed...ain't nothing special about Tesla. It is illegal in my state for a dairy farmer to sell me milk straight from Bessie's teats.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I agree - but I say the same for cheese and milk, retail stores, alcohol or any other category where small local operators are protected from competition at the expense of the consumer.

Sure... then why are you arguing about Tesla if you agree with my post? lol

Agreed...ain't nothing special about Tesla. It is illegal in my state for a dairy farmer to sell me milk straight from Bessie's teats.

So do you agree with the regulations about banning sales of Tesla in NC?

So do you agree with the regulations about banning sales of Tesla in NC?

I agree that each state can/should regulate such sales as they see fit in the public interest. Tesla can lobby to stave off such laws, but it probably won't work. Hell, it is illegal in some states to sell cars at dealerships on Sunday.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I agree that each state can/should regulate such sales as they see fit in the public interest. Tesla can lobby to stave off such laws, but it probably won't work. Hell, it is illegal in some states to sell cars at dealerships on Sunday.

What if it is not in the public interest? How would direct sales marketing hurt the public interest?

Not being open on Sunday is idiotic.

Sure... then why are you arguing about Tesla if you agree with my post?

I didn't. I pointed out that there are myriad of local laws that restrict competition in order to benefit local suppliers and I was wondering if you were against them all or if you were arguing for special treatment for Tesla because it is the darling of environmentalists. Edited by TimG

What if it is not in the public interest? How would direct sales marketing hurt the public interest?

Not being open on Sunday is idiotic.

Gee...I don't know...maybe ask the Attorney General in North Carolina. His/her office will have to field the complaints from disgruntled customers who can't get timely service or warranty repair in state because Tesla has a "new business model".

Gee...I don't know...maybe ask the Attorney General in North Carolina. His/her office will have to field the complaints from disgruntled customers who can't get timely service or warranty repair in state because Tesla has a "new business model".

If someone is concerned about the service of a vehicle, avoid that particular car company!

But the law is not protecting the car manufacturers. The law is protecting local car *dealers* which are tiny compared to Tesla. Tesla is an out of state WalMart of car *dealers* competing with the local ma and pa shops.

There is no argument that you can use to support Tesla's right to do business that does not apply to WalMart and vice versa.

So when do they ban Amazon? There is no argument you can support to deny Tesla's right that doesn't apply to any other internet retailer. Don't get me wrong, there is no way I would buy a new car off the internet without being able to deal face to face with the manufacturers authorized representative and have any issues dealt with by them, locally.

Guest Derek L

How new is "new" ? Car sales are highly regulated in the U.S. with federal and state laws.

Exactly……..the whole Tenth Amendment and Interstate Commerce Clause comes into play here………At the end of the day, Tesla just needs register with the State and name a Tesla distributor within the State and have a “dealership” no smaller then 96 square feet……….Translation: Have a person with a permanent booth (and a car) situated within a shopping mall somewhere in the State……….

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/DMV/DMV%20Documents/Vehicle%20Dealer%20Regulation%20Manual.pdf

As to Tesla's "online business model", they already have stores across the United States:

http://www.teslamotors.com/findus

And if North Carolina isn't worth the effort for Tesla, I suppose the handful of future Tesla owners within the State can just drive across the State line into Virginia where Tesla already has a store.........I mean, Tesla has sold under 100 cars in the State, already skirting State laws, if they think they have a market, put up a shingle......If Peugeot or Rolls Royce can make ago at North Carolina, why can't an American company?

Free market be damned... consumer choice be damned.... I guess that's what they call "business-friendly politicians"...

Of course there is no free market. You are experiencing State intervention that is not directed at Wal-Mart, which you feel should be restricted, but one of your favoured corporations and you seem upset?

The question of a free market includes all enterprises engaged or it is not a free market. Because you don't like Wal-Mart doesn't mean you should demand it be regulated or restricted. Because you like Tesla doesn't mean it should be able to operate freely when other businesses can't. That is crony capitalism and is somewhat fascist in nature. In a free market you can choose to not shop at Wal-mart and choose to buy a Tesla automobile.

You are experiencing State intervention that is not directed at Wal-Mart, which you feel should be restricted...

Where did I ever say this? You are lying. Nice try.

Where did I ever say this? You are lying. Nice try.

You basically said Tesla's marketing should not be interfered with yet you do complain about Wal-mart and believe it should be interfered with because it destroys Mom and Pop businesses.

Is that not what you believe?

...yet you do complain about Wal-mart and believe it should be interfered with because it destroys Mom and Pop businesses...

Show me where I said anything at any time about interfering with Walmart.... This comment is being pulled straight out of your bum-bum.

I asked if this was your belief

You basically said Tesla's marketing should not be interfered with yet you do complain about Wal-mart and believe it should be interfered with because it destroys Mom and Pop businesses.

No, it isn't what I believe.... but it was off topic and idiotic, so I chose not to bother answering your irrelevant accusations that you pulled out of your ass.

Thank you very much.

I don't believe it was off topic however as the concern is about State intervention in the market.

This is not like Walmart coming to town at all.... this is more like ma and pa coming to town to compete against Walmart and being banned from doing so.

The sheer hypocrisy of so-called "free market" Republicans voting for this is amazing. And Democrats who claim to be for consumer protections are equally as full of crap. When was the last time a car dealership ever protected the consumer?

So you don't think Ma and Pa shops should be protected from Wal-Mart. Boy, I was way off. Why did you bother to mention that this Tesla marketing plan was more like Ma and Pa shops coming to town?

Anyway, Republicans and Democrats are not being hypocritical and are not full of crap as you believe because they reject your pet ideas about what should or should not be marketed. They probably voted on the basis of existing State law as others on the thread have already pointed out.

The difference between Wal-mart and Tesla is that Wal-mart attempts to comply with existing regulations, Federal and State, but certain factions deem they should be blocked to protect existing businesses. In the Tesla case, Tesla is attempting to violate existing law that protects existing businesses and those same factions deem they are unfairly blocking them.

It seems you just want your cake and eat it too.

Edited by Pliny

Why did you bother to mention that this Tesla marketing plan was more like Ma and Pa shops coming to town?

TimG made the comparison that they are like Walmart in an earlier post.... Did you not read the thread?