RW Authoritarians Rolling back Cannabis decriminalization in Canada

kairos

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corporations live of this correlation vs causation stuff. It's not good for you.

Potheads are useless people. They are lazy, lack ambition... Except to legalize pot.

Anecdotal here.

HA. Over the past 15 years I had gone back to school graduated with honors in one course, just shy of it in another, and now been employed in this position for the last 8 years. Allowed me to pay off my loans and build my music production studio in my apartment.

If you were lazy before, you will be lazy on the pot. I have gotten a little lazier over the years, but that is because now I am in my 40s. Age can have a factor in it.

Nice trolling attempt though.

People you know?

wink.png lol

I don't actually smoke pot because I can't be bothered sneaking around and trying not to be caught at my age. I also wouldn't want to lose my entire career over a recreational drug. All reasons why pot should be legalized. Why can I go get completely wasted on alcohol, puking my guts out sick, and be fine, but turn into a criminal for buying and smoking weed then having the munchies and passing out? It's stupid. Edited by cybercoma

Nothing like a good ol' ad hominem to show how worthless your argument is. Some of the smartest, most educated, and most productive people I know smoke pot.

Anecdotal here.

HA. Over the past 15 years I had gone back to school graduated with honors in one course, just shy of it in another, and now been employed in this position for the last 8 years. Allowed me to pay off my loans and build my music production studio in my apartment.

If you were lazy before, you will be lazy on the pot. I have gotten a little lazier over the years, but that is because now I am in my 40s. Age can have a factor in it.

Nice trolling attempt though.

Nope. I've personally seen many young minds, get into pot and completely drop off the map when I was in high school.

Not only that, I hear all of the stories from my teacher friends. Was an A student ... got into pot... doesn't show up for class, doesn't complete work. I trust their experience.

I trust the personal experience from my recovered drug addict friend, seeing the pot smokers waste away(living in their mother's basement) while others eventually smartened up and got out, pot heads refuse to believe there was any harm in smoking up every day.

Sure, some might not be affected. A smart person who smokes a joint now and then socially... vs. the reality of widespread, common place use. To legalize it, is to enable widespread, common place use.

I don't even argue against fully legalizing it, go ahead. Tax it and pay for my services.

Once it's allowed in the general public, then we can actually do proper controlled studies. Less of this politically motivated study (For or against) crap. I'll let the habitual users be the guinea pigs.

But this BS dream that there is absolutely no risk in doing so, is annoying.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

To legalize it, is to enable widespread, common place use.

On what do you base this ridiculous notion? There is already widespread "commonplace" use. It is unregulated and freely available in every junior high school and to every other person who wants it. Legalization would enable a means to prevent its access by children, much like alcohol is successfully not being sold in junior high schools today.

Nope. I've personally seen many young minds, get into pot and completely drop off the map when I was in high school.

Not only that, I hear all of the stories from my teacher friends. Was an A student ... got into pot... doesn't show up for class, doesn't complete work. I trust their experience.

I trust the personal experience from my recovered drug addict friend, seeing the pot smokers waste away(living in their mother's basement) while others eventually smartened up and got out, pot heads refuse to believe there was any harm in smoking up every day.

Sure, some might not be affected. A smart person who smokes a joint now and then socially... vs. the reality of widespread, common place use. To legalize it, is to enable widespread, common place use.

I don't even argue against fully legalizing it, go ahead. Tax it and pay for my services.

Once it's allowed in the general public, then we can actually do proper controlled studies. Less of this politically motivated study (For or against) crap. I'll let the habitual users be the guinea pigs.

But this BS dream that there is absolutely no risk in doing so, is annoying.

I've known a lot of absolute geniuses who have smoked pot working as technical researchers developing cutting edge technologies. Since well over 50% of Canadians have smoked pot, you can't claim they are only the failures. Quite the contrary in highschool I was part of a special technology program and the people who smoked pot weren't stupid dumb, they were smart adaptable thinkers. Likewise Ive known successful business people who smoked pot, the bottom line here is, it is all about lifestyle. Being a lazy pot head is a stereotype, you can smoke pot and not be immobilized by it, quite the contrary many people socially smoke pot to enhance their social life and be MORE active, not less. Like alchohol it removes inhibitions and allows people to approach the thought process from a different angle. Fact is you don't need to smoke pot to be lazy, plenty of people are lazy and don't smoke pot.

Edited by shortlived

Those of us who have been perpetually chronic for the past 30 years without consequence believe your annoyance is based on the fact our lives are filled with more pleasure than yours.

If the "more pleasure" you have to brag about is smoking a mind-altering drug... you're life isn't filled with as much pleasure as you might like to imagine. There are far far finer things in life than smoking a joint.

If the "more pleasure" you have to brag about is smoking a mind-altering drug... you're life isn't filled with as much pleasure as you might like to imagine. There are far far finer things in life than smoking a joint.

Like posting on political message boards on the internet about how the 50% of Canadians that have or are having a fun time smoking cannabis should be punished under the law.

If you took a list of substances that are known to cause adverse health effects such as:

1. Alcohol
  2. Cannabis
  3. Heroin
  4. Tobacco
  5. Prescription drugs
  6. Steroids
  7. Food additives like nitrates
  8. Sugar
  9. Red Meat
  10. LSD

And you looked at the relative dangers of some of these substances. You might see that some of these substances can be quite dangerousbut are completely uncontrolled. And others which evidence shows are relatively much less harmful, are illegal and people who imbibe them are zealously persecuted.

If you reviewed the list and their effects on people and the way they are controlled (or not), you might well come to the conclusion that there is no rhyme or reason to any of it, that all of it is the effect of government bozos who can't get their shit together.

But you'd be wrong.

Because if you looked at it from a standpoint of understanding vested political and economic interests, it actually makes a lot of sense. There are plenty of financial interests (organized crime) and political interests (enforcement agencies) who have a lot tied up in keeping illegal drugs illegal. Of course, the pharmaceutical industry likes having a monopoly on substances that doctors will prescribe. The tobacco and alcohol industries both deny that they market to kids but they both lie. Why they should be permitted to advertise at all is a complete mystery. Let's put that question to the big media conglomerates. And when it comes to sugar, red meat, processed foods and harmful food additives? Don't mess with the food industries.

It's all very simple when you follow the money.

It's funny how it's often the same people who champion 'economic freedom' - low tax, laissez faire economics, will then turn around and defend the state's right to come into your home and dictate what substances you can and cannot put in your body. Eat all the red meat you want, guzzle those big gulps but don't have a joint. I would prefer that the state support the science that provides me with information to support my choices, enact laws that ensure what people are selling me is what they claim it is and let me decide what I want to do.

Those same people who support prohibition will cloak their fascistic tendencies by claiming that it's all about keeping drugs out of the hands of kids. In fact, if you care about the efficacy of policy, you would know that it's easier for teens to get pot than beer.

Prohibition is a failure on every level. It is the nanny state in the worst sense of the term. It creates and enriches criminal organizations. It helps drive demand by creating a 'forbidden fruit'. It creates a market where the products are unregulated and often adulterated. And, worst of all, there is no evidence it actually decreases consumption or availability.

When I was in high school. I told this drug dealer that pot should be illegal. He was mortified, in fact he got angry. He said no it should be illegal, the system is great how it is, there is a firm distribution already in place and he's an integral part of it. Iow he was worried about being put out of business by cannabis being legal.

Its the same thing for the corporate drug peddlars the pharmaceutical industry, the alcohol and tobacco industries and their whores in government, mostly in the Conservative Party of Canada.

Edited by kairos

I'll believe in drug control when drugs are hard to come by, clearly, we can't prevent drug use, money would be better spent regulating, legalizing, and helping those who can't control their usage, i believe that the vast majority of those people are already addicted. A two tiered aproach to soft and hard drugs is probably the best way to go, yes some types of marijuana have been made stronger, but then, whisky is stronger than beer, not everyone drinks whisky.

For the record, the only drug i use is alcohol, but not because i have an irrational fear of marijauna.