Winnipeg police chief touts prayer to help combat crime

betsy

Not interested in your interpretation of what I say.

First, grow some thicker skin. I was kidding.

And as for "interpreting" what you're saying. I'm not interpreting anything. I'm taking exactly what you said, that God does not leave physical evidence, and applying it to intercessory prayer. That's the topic of this thread, isn't it? So I'm not twisting your words at all. If God doesn't leave any physical evidence that can be measured in any sort of way, then prayer does not work because there would be evidence that it did, an outcome would be influenced or changed. You said that it's just my opinion that there's no evidence of prayer being effective. Well, according to your last post, evidently you believe that there's no evidence either, since God doesn't leave any physical evidence. Don't get mad because you're inconsistent.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

First, grow some thicker skin. I was kidding.

Your "jokes," and the responses they garner, don't amuse me. So take your demand that I "grow some thicker skin" and shove it - well, I'll let you figure that out for yourself. :)

Guest American Woman

I'll let the fact that you're attacking me here, instead of the arguments I've made stand on their own.

I 'll let the fact that you think I'm attacking you speak for itself. laugh.png

What makes you assume the unicorn is a supernatural being? 

It could purify water and heal the sick..... Stuff that Jesus could do.... Sounds pretty supernatural to me!

The unicorn is actually a wild ox.

How did the bible get it wrong? Misinterpretation perhaps? What else was interpreted incorrectly in the KJV? I thought God didn't make mistakes....

Guest American Woman

How did the bible get it wrong? Misinterpretation perhaps? What else was interpreted incorrectly in the KJV? I thought God didn't make mistakes....

God didn't write the Bible.

God didn't write the Bible.

Apparently, it is the word of God. If God didn't have a hand in his own holy book, but was the creation of man, then it is open to misinterpretation, exaggeration, lies, etc,etc,etc.

Guest American Woman

Apparently, it is the word of God. If God didn't have a hand in his own holy book, but was the creation of man, then it is open to misinterpretation, exaggeration, lies, etc,etc,etc.

It's also open to mistakes and personal bias in the translations.

Guest American Woman
Personal attacks are against the Forum Rules and Guidelines, but it's nice that you admit you're breaking them.

Stop putting words in my mouth. Seriously. And then back off. I'm not interested in your responses ...

By the way, it's not America that Canadians don't like: it's Americans.

...and I'm especially not interested in your total and complete misrepresentation of what I say.

It could purify water and heal the sick..... Stuff that Jesus could do.... Sounds pretty supernatural to me!

Well I don't know what you've been reading Squid, or what you've been watching - let me tell you, comic books and cartoons don't count as a rebutt.

I'll ask you again: as an evolutionist, don't you think it possible that the unicorn did exist eons of years ago and had evolved into something else?

rolleyes.gif

I think it's just you who got it wrong.

OMIGOSH!!! LOOK!! UNICORNS!

Honking Their Horn: 10 Amazing Real Unicorns

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2010/09/21/honking-their-horn-10-amazing-real-unicorns/

I'll ask you again: as an evolutionist, don't you think it possible that the unicorn did exist eons of years ago and had evolved into something else?

In a mystical sense, no.

Speaking in evolution terms in which unicorn strictly means a horse with one horn with no special properties, yes.

I can recall an extinct creature that bears some resemblance to a horse with a single horn.

Elasmotherius.

Some creatures look like a unicorn from a distance - Oryx and Eland.

In 2008 there was a case in Italy regarding a roe deer with a genetic disorder giving it only a single horn.

Edited by Sleipnir

I think it would be interesting to discuss what people believe and why and to speak of personal experiences from all all angles, religious and non-religious, but experience shows that a respectful discussion of that nature is impossible.
I always enjoy that type of discussion but they are impossible in this type of format. I also agree that many atheists are as ignorant as fundamentalists. However, I am guilty of belittling the beliefs of others.

I respect the people just not the beliefs. So in person I choose my words with care, state that I disagree and why, but I don't equate religion to childhood beliefs or mental conditions. On the other hand I feel the amount of political power possessed by religion is very dangerous to our well being. Religion is harming education, medicine, science and human rights. In my opinion, freedom of belief must be protected but religious political influence has to be drastically reduced.

We're not supposed to question someone's religious beliefs. WHY? We don't have to keep quiet when someone believes that Elvis is still alive. It's a crazy idea and it is therefor ridiculed in public. Should belief that the earth is less than 10,000 years old be any different? Should we let 23 states beat children to the point of bruising in schools because the Bible allows it? Should we let religious politicians rewrite history and science books in a handful of states?

Anyway, an effective way to combat radical ideas is through humorous discussion; but, religion has a protective cultural cocoon around it. I think that it is important to strip away that special protection and allow the ideas to be openly discussed. Once the political power erodes, I will have no quarrel with religion at all.

Unicorns came from mythology. Ancient Greece in the 5th century B.C., well before the biblical references. Also, unicorns don't appear in the bible until the KJV version. Oops. Bad translation. Which happens, after all the Translators of the KJV were only human....

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/monsters/a/020810Unicorn.htm

We're not supposed to question someone's religious beliefs. WHY? We don't have to keep quiet when someone believes that Elvis is still alive. It's a crazy idea and it is therefor ridiculed in public. Should belief that the earth is less than 10,000 years old be any different? Should we let 23 states beat children to the point of bruising in schools because the Bible allows it? Should we let religious politicians rewrite history and science books in a handful of states?

There is a difference between respecting someone's personal belief and respecting someone's effort to insert their religious belief in the role of the public system.

I do respect people's personal belief in God, except when it comes to influencing or justifying why they're are committing such actions that affect other people. As well as when it comes to people hijacking science to further their own religious agenda.

Edited by Sleipnir

Considering the new young earth creationist stance is that evolution is real but your god only allows for limited diversification and speciation withing "kinds", don't you think it is possible? If a unicorn fossil was ever found I'm certain the young earthers will label it as part of the horse kind and draw it in to ark pics next to the T-Rex.

There is a difference between respecting someone's personal belief and respecting someone's effort to insert their religious belief in the role of the public system.

I do respect people's personal belief in God, except when it comes to influencing or justifying why they're are committing such actions that affect other people. As well as when it comes to people hijacking science to further their own religious agenda.

I agree completely. I have no problem with personal belief whatsoever.

Unicorns came from mythology. Ancient Greece in the 5th century B.C., well before the biblical references. Also, unicorns don't appear in the bible until the KJV version. Oops. Bad translation. Which happens, after all the Translators of the KJV were only human....

http://ancienthistor...0810Unicorn.htm

Actually, it's not true that the unicorn came from Greek mythology, according to wiki.

Unicorns are not found in Greek mythology, but rather in accounts of natural history, for Greek writers of natural history were convinced of the reality of the unicorn, which they located in India, a distant and fabulous realm for them. The earliest description is from Ctesias who described them as wild asses, fleet of foot, having a horn a cubit and a half in length and colored white, red and black.[1] Aristotle must be following Ctesias when he mentions two one-horned animals, the oryx (a kind of antelope) and the so-called "Indian ass".[2][3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicorn

Therefore, using your own source as the basis.....if you believe in evolution, there should be no problem at all in accepting the possibility that the unicorn may've evolved into something else.

Guest American Woman

....if you believe in evolution, there should be no problem at all in accepting the possibility that the unicorn may've evolved into something else.

The unicorn didn't evolve into anything else - it missed the boat, literally. The unicorns were off frolicking and having fun while the other animals were boarding Noah's Ark. ;)

Actually, it's not true that the unicorn came from Greek mythology, according to wiki.

Ok. Cool. Here is another site that explains this as well. http://www.gods-and-monsters.com/unicorn-myths.html

if you believe in evolution, there should be no problem at all in accepting the possibility that the unicorn may've evolved into something else.

The possibility? Sure, why not? Narwhals are an absolutely amazing creature. An animal with a single horn isn't out of the realm of possibility. Or perhaps it was a single antlered variant of a deer that was mistaken for a different animal. Who knows.

They haven't found any fossil records of any such animal yet.

unicorn may've evolved into something else

Why do you think that it would have evolved into something else? Perhaps it became extinct and never evolved into anything....

Edited by The_Squid

Considering the new young earth creationist stance is that evolution is real but your god only allows for limited diversification and speciation withing "kinds", don't you think it is possible? If a unicorn fossil was ever found I'm certain the young earthers will label it as part of the horse kind and draw it in to ark pics next to the T-Rex.

Hey, I'm not a young-earth creationist....so I cannot answer for them. It's not only young-earth creationists however, who believe the limited diversification within "kinds".....I believe that too.

But I believe that science was given to mankind for a reason. I believe it is God-given, to explain or reveal to us what God wants us to know and understand. Thus, that's one of the points I was trying to make with the Bible facts.

Therefore....I can go where the evidence(s) lead. If evidences show the irrefutable and conclusive fact that we've evolved - macroevolution - I can accept that, too.

Actually, if you analyze Genesis 1....the way some of the statements are worded, evolution is not impossible to reconcile with the Bible. Thus if you refer to the latest article I've posted in the Bible, "The Bible and science are into agreement," there is mention of Genesis in that article.