Australian Federal Election

August1991

Australia is the place where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
That's NZ. But point taken, BBM. Thanx.

Anyone else got something to say?

sure lets have some fun,

As I was entering Sydney international airport the other day, the Immigration Officer stopped me. "Do you have a criminal record?" he asked. "I didn't know you still needed one," I quipped.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have not commented, August, because I am not aware of the issues in Australia. Presumably, domestic issues weighed heavier than Irq.

We may well find the same in Britain and Blair could win again evn though the nation now opposes his Iraq stance.

It might be worth keeping in mind that with ongoing Islamist violence in south-east Asia and particularly Indonesia, the threat of terrorism is considerably more personal for the average Australian than it is to Canadians.

-kimmy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

I've just logged in for the first time in some months. It would take to long to explain why so I'll leave it as a mystery.

Seems you would like a quick answer as to why Howard won the election here. The concensus is that he won based on economic policy. The last Labour government ran the economy into the ground and the current Liberal government has gained a considerable amount of mileage out of it. Even though that was some considerable time ago.

Now my take is that Howard and the Coalition (comprised of Liberal and National parties) won because they pushed peoples fear buttons. They run negative campaigns. People thought the economy would go to hell (despite the fact that all the leading economists did not think it would matter which party was in) if Howard did not win. He was seen as a strong leader and defintely appeals to the conservative. He has never been held in any way accountable for committing troops based on misinformation (not that I making opinion one way or the other on wether or not he should be).

But I think his dishonesty precedes such events. He won the prior election by whipping up hysteria over the "invasion of illegal immigrants" entering Australia via dodgy boats from Indonesia. Just before the election there was a sensation known now as the "children overboard scandal". Photos were released of refugees throwing their children overboard when a Naval boat intercepted them. The government used these photos to paint a further picture of the evil that was occuring etc. Turns out the boat had been on fire and the parents were trying to save their children. Didn't come out until after the election strangely enough. Who took the blame? Not the Prime Minister. Misinformation used for political gain always seems to be the sole responsibility of those further down the chain of command.

But since this isn't a thread that really seems to be of great interest to this forum I should stop rabbiting on. If you are interested try researching the ship known as the "Tampa". (Which is about a different ship but very interesting and related to the governments rather extreme reaction to refugess entering Australia illegally)

One interesting side note however. I was watching a program called Late Line the other night when they were interviewing a former speech writer of George W. Bush. He [the speech writer] claimed that the Australian election had some impact on the American election. It was perceived there that the Australian vote was an indication that Australians were declaring that they would stand up to terrorists just as the Spanish election had indicated the reverse. Not at all how the election was perceived here.

sure lets have some fun,

As I was entering Sydney international airport the other day, the Immigration Officer stopped me. "Do you have a criminal record?" he asked. "I didn't know you still needed one," I quipped.

Interestingly enough you don't need to be a criminal to enter Australia.

Do you need to be a slave to enter the US?

Alot of the convicts sent to Australia were deported for stealing food.

Regardless of the reason that convicts ended up here I assure you that the Australian national character is not "criminal" nor is it defined, or derived from, criminal values, behaviuours or traits.

My year 12 history teacher told me that convicts were sent to the United States. He went on to say that part of the reason that colonisation of Australia was desirable was that convicts could no longer be sent to the US (which was by then independent). Why aren't there convict jokes about America?