Quebec superior court prevents destroying gun data

WWWTT

Justice Marc-Andre Blanchard sided with the Quebec government and granted a permanent injunction to the province making it easier for them to create their own registry.

The NDP has always been pushing for the government to help allow the provinces set up their own registry and keep the data.

Will the feds now waste tax payer dollars in court appeals?

WWWTT

Justice Marc-Andre Blanchard sided with the Quebec government and granted a permanent injunction to the province making it easier for them to create their own registry.

The NDP has always been pushing for the government to help allow the provinces set up their own registry and keep the data.

Will the feds now waste tax payer dollars in court appeals?

WWWTT

Provincial registries are pointless. This is the problem with our court system. There's no easy way to track people that move between provinces. You would be surprised at how easy it is to lose track of them.

Provincial registries are pointless. This is the problem with our court system. There's no easy way to track people that move between provinces. You would be surprised at how easy it is to lose track of them.

What percentage of gun owners relocate?

WWWTT

Silly rulings are usually challenged.

I recall my Conservative MP saying that the Provinces need to do a better job on gun control and registeries and not the feds. Its bloated and a waste of tax dollars.

Thus if a Province should want to take on the burden of their portion of the registery, and since their is plenty of Provincial regulation on guns to begin with....

this is hardly a silly ruling.

What court would suggest a Province start a registery from scratch when the data has already been accumulated.

The Feds have put the ball in the Provinces court.

What court would suggest a Province start a registery from scratch when the data has already been accumulated.
I read the judgement. It appears that the registry data was collected with the cooperation of provincial governments. The argument is that since the provinces contributed to the collection they are entitled to a say in its destruction. I cannot argue with the judge's logic. Edited by TimG

Cmon hurry up I'm a busy man!

WWWTT

It's completely irrelevant the number. People do move between provinces and their information gets lost or is outdated. If the registry is not federally managed, the provinces will have a difficult time communicating with each other and sharing information. The number of cases doesn't matter.

I read the judgement. It appears that the registry data was collected with the cooperation of provincial governments. The argument is that since the provinces contributed to the collection they are entitled to a say in its destruction. I cannot argue with the judge's logic.

I can't argue either, Tim. If Quebec wants to make a useless gun registry of its own I say let them!

However, I would prefer they pay for it themselves!

The Quebecois do seem to be far more "heart" people than "head" people. Gun registries would never have stopped that wingnut Marc Lepine from killing all those poor girls.

Heart people always seem to accept symbolic gestures as useful and worthwhile. I have never understood that sort of thinking. However, as a populist I champion everybody's right to be an idiot!

Let Quebec make its own mistakes, just have Quebec fund it herself.

The data is a notorious mess. I suppose the government of Quebec might be entitled to its share of that mess. But, really, it should just start from scratch if it wants a registry. (How it will be afforded is another matter.)

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

Ok. So now that's settled. Québec paid for it, so I suppose you agree with their right to use it now?

Mostly. I'm a bit uncomfortable with a provincial court telling the feds what to do. Still, that's why there's a Supreme Court of Canada, I suppose.

Still, I guess that if Quebec wants to pay for folly, as I had said, I believe that's their right. As a populist I have always believed that people have to be able to make mistakes in order to learn from them.

If someone is "cocooned" from reality when they are raised then they will only turn out inept.

Ok. So now that's settled. Québec paid for it, so I suppose you agree with their right to use it now?

People from all over this country pay for Quebec's entitlement society, should those people have access to Quebec's day care system?

Your argument isn't one. This is a federal issue and Quebec will eventually lose, regardless of all the hopes and wet dreams of anti gun nuts. I suppose Quebec might have liked to see the avro arrow built in Canada, maybe they should take the government to court over that.

Prove it.

So sorry, but in order to do that, the audience,(you), would have to be reasonable and you just aren't. Quebec is no more entitled to this data as they are to any other cancelled federal project, seeing as they have been getting more money from the feds than they have been contributing since just about forever, maybe Quebec owes the feds for creating the registry largely to placate them specifically.

We could call it a registry debt, they can pay it off in installments, of course they wouldn't be using their own money to pay it back, still it's better than nothing. They are used to spending wealth they didn't create on things they don't need and other provinces don't have, the registry debt should be no problem for them, demand that Alberta open up some more oil wells so there is more fed tax money available. Surely they will complain about the environmental disaster, but they will spend the money anyway.

I can't argue either, Tim. If Quebec wants to make a useless gun registry of its own I say let them!

However, I would prefer they pay for it themselves!

The Quebecois do seem to be far more "heart" people than "head" people. Gun registries would never have stopped that wingnut Marc Lepine from killing all those poor girls.

Heart people always seem to accept symbolic gestures as useful and worthwhile. I have never understood that sort of thinking. However, as a populist I champion everybody's right to be an idiot!

Let Quebec make its own mistakes, just have Quebec fund it herself.

Agreed.

People from all over this country pay for Quebec's entitlement society, should those people have access to Quebec's day care system?

People in Quebec pay higher taxes to support day care. If you want, move to Quebec, pay higher taxes and access the day care. Otherwise it will be a very long walk for the 3 and 4 year olds.

Your argument isn't one. This is a federal issue and Quebec will eventually lose, regardless of all the hopes and wet dreams of anti gun nuts. I suppose Quebec might have liked to see the avro arrow built in Canada, maybe they should take the government to court over that.

Could you explain this quote above?