Pagan Christ & da Vinci Code

Web sites explore 'The Da Vinci Code'

THE PAGAN CHRIST

Is there a connection between these two stories?

I think there well may be, but I am curious what others think.

It is interesting to speculate as more and more scientific historical research opens up our real past history, whether or not eventually Christianity will even continue to exist, as it appears that so much of our so-called Christian history is pure bunk and based strictly on mythology. :blink:

Yes, there’s a connection, MS. Many of those who reject historic Christianity will accept almost anything else, however feeble the evidence. They will say almost anything that detracts from Christian belief.

But there’s another question. What is the connection between this and Canadian Federal Politics? For that matter, would it even fit in the Religion and Politics section?

Web sites explore 'The Da Vinci Code'

THE PAGAN CHRIST

Is there a connection between these two stories?

I think there well may be, but I am curious what others think.

Since the one book appears to be an academic book arguing that Christ is a mythological figure, and the other is a work of fiction based on the premise that Christ was a historical figure, I would say there doesn't seem to be much connection. :P

The DaVinci Code sounds interesting, maybe I will read it sometime, always bearing in mind that it's a work of fiction.

As for The Pagan Christ, from the review on Harpur's own website, it sounds like he's trying to revive the theory that Jesus Christ is actually just a rehashed version of the ancient Egyptian god Horus, which isn't exactly a new idea, and which I believe has been debated thoroughly for a long time by people with a lot more knowledge of the subject than I have. I can't claim to know anything on the subject, but I do believe the theory has been around for a long time and it hasn't been widely embraced or done any damage to Christianity's foundation.

It is interesting to speculate as more and more scientific historical research opens up our real past history,

What "scientific research"? :blink: Certainly you're not referring to either of the links you posted. One's a work of fiction, and the other is based on interpretation of art and mythology, not science.

I read a couple of the DaVinci related links. Dan Brown himself acknowledges that he's written fiction. He does present some interesting information in support of the conspiracy theory that he presents in his novel. However, I read an article from another scholar who disputes the historical accuracy of some of the claims that Brown makes in his book.

whether or not eventually Christianity will even continue to exist, as it appears that so much of our so-called Christian history is pure bunk and based strictly on mythology.    :blink:

I certainly hope Christianity continues to exist. Otherwise, who will keep the Muslims in check? :P

-kimmy

If Christianity continues to exist will be determined only if it is true.

If Jesus was who he said he was, it will exist.

If it is really bunk, well you draw your own conclusion.

As for this it should be under the Religion and Politics heading if anywhere at all.

• 3 weeks later...
THE PAGAN CHRIST ...

It is interesting to speculate as more and more scientific historical research opens up our real past history, whether or not eventually Christianity will even continue to exist, as it appears that so much of our so-called Christian history is pure bunk and based strictly on mythology. 

I finally got a copy of Harpur's "The Pagan Christ" from the library, and read most of it before giving up in disgust. If it were by someone who knew little or nothing about the Bible, I'd simply write it off as ignorance. From someone who was at one point a professor of New Testament in a reputable seminary, I have to call it deliberate dishonesty.

Let me note a few of the most obvious points.

On p. 90 he wrote: "Once again it is absolutely critical to stress that my argument that the Christ of the Gospels had an antecedent in Egypt (and in many other places and cultures as well) is not part of any attempt to debunk orthodox Christianity. Nothing is further from my mind. My aim, instead, is to reveal the truly spiritual nature of the Christos archetype in all of human history and, ultimately, to explain what this will mean to us." If you can believe the first sentence of this, in a book entirely engaged in saying that orthodox Christianity has gone astray in fundamental principle ... words fail me.

On p. 84 "The Creed says that Jesus descended into hell, or (better) Hades, but so too did Horus before him. ... Again, this is imply a metaphorical description of the descent of the divine into matter-into human beings, in fact. As Kuhn sharply observes, 'It has absolutely nothing to do with a literal hillside grave.'" But the Bible speaks specifically of a literal grave cut into the rock. Twisting things by using the Creed's expression of it is simply deceit.

p. 92 "Jesus' nativity will always be associated with the ox and the ass because of the stable and the manger. But these two animals were also with the Egyptian Iusa, ages upon ages before." Of course the Bible never mentions an ox or an ass in connection with Jesus ...

P. 135. "One final detail: in the Johannine account, Jesus makes the surprising assertion that Lazarus is not dead but only sleeping." But on p. 129 Harpur himself quotes the passage from John 11 (King James Version). "... after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead."

I could list more. But this is more than enough to show that the man is not reliable. As one of my friends observed, he makes money out of controversy. The first statement I quoted should be enough to make even a person who knows nothing about the Bible see through Harpur. If, on the basis of this book, you conclude “that so much of our so-called Christian history is pure bunk and based strictly on mythology”, I have some nice fool’s gold crystals I’d like to sell you at $400 an ounce.

And DAC, fool's gold isn't a crystal. It's a mineral: iron pyrite.

Actually...

http://www.minerals.net/mineral/sulfides/p...rite/pyrite.htm

(Isometric) Pyrite can form very well crystallized specimens, which occur as cubes, pyritohedrons, and, less commonly, octahedrons. Crystals are usually striated. Pyrite frequently forms penetration twinned crystals, most commonly in the cubes. Pyrite also occurs massive, radiating, grainy, flaky, mammilary, encrusting, nodular, fibrous, and as groups of small crystals.

Anyway, I think the point of this thread (if it has one) is probably that Syrup is nuttier than a Snickers bar. :D

-kimmy

Perhaps you should petition Greg to move it to the proper place.

BTW, IMR, regarding this:

Wow some of you really hate Christians eh? MS seems to lead the charge. I wonder how your comments would be recieved if you replaced "Christian" with "Muslim". Hmmm one might label you 'intolerant', 'racist', or a 'bigot'. Ah yes the selective tolerance of the left, gotta love it.

Who on earth were you talking to/about?