Apple Corporation is Bad for Technology

People think Apple is better. But as I said, you're paying for a logo.

Samsung is actually up there with the iPhone as a trendy device to have.

Also the ease of use is a factor. But with that you also get a restrictive platform that doesn't really let you experience the medium the way you want to. The closed market nature of iOS is the main reason I never see myself switching.

Oh and Android still holds a Global majority of smartphones.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understanding this when others don't is why Apple is eating everyone else's lunch. A company selling a list of specs as their rationale for buying their products does not understand the product category. These are devices that you interact with in every facet of life, it's how they work and how they work together that makes the difference.

Whose lunch is apple eating? They hold a small and declining share of the smartphone market.

The only reason specific iPhones have the market share they do is that Apple releases one or two models a year while other makers make devices for people's different needs. But as mentioned earlier, even Apple knew they couldn't hack it by releasing one phone and one iPad a year.

Now they have the iPad mini the iPhone c. Rumours are this year they'll have a 4.5" iPhone and a Phablet iPhone.

Edited by Boges

• 1 month later...

Despite being lax on security and failing to fix a known security problem for months Apple is managing to avoid the criticism it deserves in the iCloud naked photo hack. Instead, the online community seems more content to blame those that take photos in the first place. That's like blaming the victim of a pickpocket for even having cash on them.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/09/celebrity_photo_hack_blame_apple_for_its_disregard_for_user_security.html?wpsrc=fol_tw

iCloud security is an oxymoron.

Apparently these passwords were obvious and the hacks were targeted. It's not like someone is going to be able to hack everyone's nude selfies.

More due diligence should probably be taken. Like an extra level of security.

Again, not blaming the victim!

Edited by Boges

Apparently these passwords were obvious and the hacks were targeted. It's not like someone is going to be able to hack everyone's nude selfies.

More due diligence should probably be taken. Like an extra level of security.

Again, not blaming the victim!

Why shouldn't we blame the victim? It's not like it's a shocking idea that phones can be hacked, or computers for that matter. Now for most of us the threat is trivial. Who'd want to hack my cell phone anyway? But if you're a famous and beautiful actress you have to consider the threat is pretty serious. Yet these women still took naked pictures of themselves with their cell phones and then had pretty lax password protection in place.

Edited by Argus

Why shouldn't we blame the victim? It's not like it's a shocking idea that phones can be hacked, or computers for that matter. Now for most of us the threat is trivial. Who'd want to hack my cell phone anyway? But if you're a famous and beautiful actress you have to consider the threat is pretty serious. Yet these women still took naked pictures of themselves with their cell phones and then had pretty lax password protection in place.

Cloud storage can be used to backup and access all sorts of information other than personal pics. I find it odd that Apple is getting a free pass on this despite knowing of security problems for months. Apple essentially allowed hackers unlimited login attempts to check passwords.

Despite knowing about the problems for months Apple managed to fix the security oversight within days of the naked selfie story breaking. This suggests that they know their oversight could be a public relations problem. Anyway, if the celeb photos were taken from OneDrive, Google Drive or DropBox accounts I am willing to bet the companies would be facing more criticism. Especially, if they also had such lax security standards.

Cloud storage can be used to backup and access all sorts of information other than personal pics. I find it odd that Apple is getting a free pass on this despite knowing of security problems for months. Apple essentially allowed hackers unlimited login attempts to check passwords.

Despite knowing about the problems for months Apple managed to fix the security oversight within days of the naked selfie story breaking. This suggests that they know their oversight could be a public relations problem. Anyway, if the celeb photos were taken from OneDrive, Google Drive or DropBox accounts I am willing to bet the companies would be facing more criticism. Especially, if they also had such lax security standards.

If iCloud had unlimited attempts then that's pretty bad.

I don't believe Google has that, never had a problem signing into my Google account so I don't know.

I do know when you have to retrieve your password for (hotmail/outlook/one cloud) they implement a second stage of security where you are texted a number to access the password.

Edited by Boges

If iCloud had unlimited attempts then that's pretty bad.

I don't believe Google has that, never had a problem signing into my Google account so I don't know.

I do know when you have to retrieve your password for (hotmail/outlook/one cloud) they implement a second stage of security where you are texted a number to access the password.

Google, Microsoft and Yahoo all throttle login attempts after a certain number of incorrect entries have been made. They also promote 2 stage security. Apple has a 2 stage option, though it's almost hidden has never been promoted and is not even enforced. Ridiculous. My guess is someone made the call that appropriate security is intrusive to the Apple user experience.

What's the big deal about public disclosure of nude selfies or sex videos anyway ?

The digital narcissists are getting exactly what they wished for.....why the concern and "shame" now ?

It's still private material. Can't weep too hard for them though. They're still rich and famous and their employment prospects haven't been injured like one Anthony Weiner.

It's still private material. Can't weep too hard for them though.

I sure don't. Many years ago, I had a girlfriend who wanted me to take some "private photos" of her, because "you're only young once". She had it all planned out....I would use an old school Polaroid Land camera (600 color film) so no negatives or photo processing would exist after burning. I refused, cautioning her that such photos could come back to bite her on her bare ass and other parts. Her mother was very impressed with my decision !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Happy iPhone Day!

Apple shows its lack of innovation by releasing a phone with still only 1 GB of RAM. They do introduce Notification Widgets, NFC and a larger screen. All things widely available by it's competitors for years now.

After years of iSheep claiming that a 3.5" or 4" screen was optimal for smartphone use (anything larger doesn't fit in a pocket or should be utilized by a tablet) the new iPhone will come it both 4.5" and 5.5" sizes. So basically an iPhone Note. Samsung should Sue!!!!

Oh and they'll release an iWatch. Smart watches are nothing new but lets watch iZombies foam at the mouth over technology that's been around for years now.

Really? People still go crazy over Apple junk? I guess if brand recognition is your benchmark then Apple is the go to company. Now lets see them line up for that Beats garbage they'll be selling.

The media certainly fans the flames. I heard on the radio someone speculating that the only reason Smartwatches aren't popular is because Apple won't have one. It's like the iPod all over again.

• 2 weeks later...

You want a legit issue? How the hell does Apple release an update that messes up your ability ​to make phone calls on your phone???

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/apple-pulls-ios8-software-update-for-iphones-after-phone-call-complaints-1.2022698?hootPostID=c05224466f3f0af458653a26f2e1880e

I'm pretty sure anyone stupid enough to sit on their Galaxy Note or S4/S5 would probably have the same issue. People are dumb. Don't sit on your plastic phone.

It's not sitting more than putting in a pocket. Plastic doesn't really bend, it breaks. Cnet is saying that it's because the iPhone is made of thinner aluminum.

Apologists are saying that people shouldn't be putting phones in their pocket. If not there, then where?

I don't use a case. Cases make the phone considerably thicker and therefore much less comfortable in a pocket. What's the point of manufacturers shaving millimeters off their phone thicknesses if you are then just gonna throw a fatass case on it anyway?

Anyway, not using a case, I've had my Galaxy Note 3 in my pocket every day for close to a year now and it remains completely unbent, unscratched, and undamaged.

Edited by Bonam