Holy Crap RIM!

The Darling of Canadian business, this company is not. . . well not anymore.

5,000 jobs cut and you're delaying the only thing that'll possibly keep you afloat in BB10, Google is unvealing a new OS every 6 months. :rolleyes:

Way to not deliver for your customers. I don't give this company 2 more years to survive.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/28/rim-cutting-5000-jobs

TORONTO - Research In Motion Ltd on Thursday posted a steeper than expected operating loss, its first in eight years, and delayed the make-or-break launch of its next-generation BlackBerry phones until early next year, in a potentially devastating setback to the embattled company.

RIM said its next-generation BlackBerry 10 devices were delayed because the integration of features and a huge volume of code into the platform had “proven to be more time consuming than anticipated.” Earlier it had said it would release the new lineup in late 2012.

“Wow - what a disaster,” Edward Snyder, managing director of Charter Equity Research in San Francisco. RIM is in a “handset death spiral.”

RIM, which has pledged to slash $1 billion US from its operating costs this year, said it plans to cut 5,000 jobs, or about 30% of its workforce, as its BlackBerry smartphone shipments fell sharply for a second straight quarter.

Its adjusted net loss came in at $192 million, or 37 cents a share, in the three months to June 2. Revenue declined 33% to $2.8 billion.

The company had warned it would post an operating loss but had not provided specifics.

Analysts, on average, expected a loss of 7 cents a share on revenue of $3.07 billion, according to an informal Reuters poll.

A year ago RIM reported net income of $695 million, or $1.33 a share, on sales of $4.91 billion.

Who, in their right mind, would buy a Blackberry as their new phone now? Is there anything that really sets it a part from everyone else anymore? I don't think so.

A Canadian success story has turned into a nightmare. Remember when the owner was going to buy a hockey team? :lol:

Edited by Boges

RIM can go to hell.

They had a horrible and ridiculous corporate structure and have spent more time giving the appearance of having a useful product rather than actually making a useful product.

I've got an idea, idiots. Why not actually make a device that handles web-surfing and multimedia properly, rather than just making commercials to con people into buying your crap products. Nobody's buying it in both senses of the word.

They should have leased out their secured network to other providers a long time ago. Instead, they thought they could keep up with the competition with inferior products and they're paying the price. Since the morons running the show are clearly too stupid to run a technology company that gives customers what they want, the entire business deserves to go down in a burning disaster.

RIM is turning out to be another Canadian Nortel. I recall when I changed to iphone in 2011 I jokingly told my good doctor "the good listener" who bought RIM at $70 he'd better sell - I showed him the good product then, the strange thing he sold his stock off at $65 during that week, took the lost.

RIM is trading after hours @ $7.86 - I won't even day trade this. I give RIM a year to disappear, 1/2 year ago they could have found a buyer...now well, holy crap

Is there anything that really sets it a part from everyone else anymore? I don't think so.

I just switched to an iphone 4s last month and really miss the email and texting of my old blackberry.

It's just ... better.

Faster, easier to look at, easier to type on the keyboard, just better.

But everything else about the iphone is way better than BBY so I'm okay with the switch.

I just switched to an iphone 4s last month and really miss the email and texting of my old blackberry.

It's just ... better.

Faster, easier to look at, easier to type on the keyboard, just better.

But everything else about the iphone is way better than BBY so I'm okay with the switch.

Why isn't there anything out there that can do both? I still don't get it.

In fact, why can't I just say, to the seemingly thin air - "Computer, google me up a car will you, and one with a bar if you please"?

Why isn't there anything out there that can do both? I still don't get it.

In fact, why can't I just say, to the seemingly thin air - "Computer, google me up a car will you, and one with a bar if you please"?

When I was looking into getting a smart/superphone I saw a Galaxy S Slide that has a keyboard built in.

When I went to Best Buy they said it didn't sell well at all. The appetite for actual keyboards isn't really there for the masses.

I actually read that the first BB10 phone (if they ever come out) won't have a real keyboard.

My GS2 has a force-feedback typing so when I touch the button the phone vibrates so it feels sort of like you actually pressed a real button. I was pleasantly surprised by the feature when I first used the phone.

If you want a phone that just does e-mail well then by all means BB is for you.

But the vast majority of people want a phone that does many many things. A phone that surfs the web, plays music, allows you to watch TV, acts as a GPS. You can use it as a flashlight, compass, level, It can identify music and much much more.

If RIM wants to go into the discount phone market and compete with phones that are cheaper and have less features like the last Nokia C3 I had before my current phone purchase then that's fine. But currently they can't come close to competing with Apple and Google.

Edited by Boges