Welcome to Rusanada

Seems like a slippery slope. I dont think an employer should be able to engage in slander or libel, but they should be able to make negative statements about their employer as long as they are true.

And government is different than the private sector as well, because those civil servants are also tax payers.

While they are on the job, they are an employee, plain and simple once they take of any uniform and go to the bar they can badmouth whoever they want as long as they don't go around identifying themselves as an employee of this department and then engage in negative comments.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While they are on the job, they are an employee, plain and simple once they take of any uniform and go to the bar they can badmouth whoever they want as long as they don't go around identifying themselves as an employee of this department and then engage in negative comments.

Why shouldn't they identify themselves as an employee as long as they make it clear they don't speak for their employer. There should be consequences for lying, making statements that can't be reasonably substantiated and leaking information that should be kept confidential but that's all.

Government already has total control over what its MP's say and they now want to cement that control over the civil service as well. This is not healthy IMO.

The comparison to private companies is not valid. Private companies have competitors and loose cannon employees can adversely effect their customer base and possibly the company's existence, none of which applies to government. The worst that can happen is an embarrassed government. Far from a bad thing in many cases. This is all about controlling the message.

How far do you extend this muzzling of government employees?

The rash of sexual harassment cases in the RCMP is a result of the kind of policy you advocate. Why should a member have to resign in order to go public and get some justice in spite of the very people who are supposed to lead them? In spite of the notoriety they are getting, the RCMP's handling of the Ron Day case is a disgrace and ultimately might prove to be another nail in the coffin of the RCMP in BC.

Should returning Afghanistan vets be threatened with sanctions and possible loss of benefits if they speak out about the way they are treated? Where do you draw the line?

My guess is that many of you who advocate this policy would be all over a union that tried to muzzle its members and rightly so, but that union executive was also democratically elected to represent those members.

Edited by Wilber

Really? You think that if the TPS was investigating the PM or someone close to the PM for corruption they could be silenced? Or that the RCMP cannot be discrete about their investigations?

I can tell you I know for a fact that it occurs.

I know who was involved (there are maybe 3 or 4 higher + the very highest) and what the issue was.

The evidence disappeared and the one who had the goods was scared right out of town. It is not the end of the story and when it comes out (if) people will be surprised, not to mention disgusted.

It would make any prior political scandal pale in comparison.

I can tell you I know for a fact that it occurs.

I know who was involved (there are maybe 3 or 4 higher + the very highest) and what the issue was.

The evidence disappeared and the one who had the goods was scared right out of town. It is not the end of the story and when it comes out (if) people will be surprised, not to mention disgusted.

It would make any prior political scandal pale in comparison.

So what is the evidence you have for this fairy tale?

Any reasons as to why I shouldn't trust the police you would like to share with us?

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=3739f300-c08e-4e69-8554-7aa28219d1cf

The Commons public accounts committee is holding an emergency in camera session today after shocking testimony yesterday on Parliament Hill about corruption, cronyism and coverups at the force's highest levels concerning the RCMP pension plan.

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=3739f300-c08e-4e69-8554-7aa28219d1cf

The Commons public accounts committee is holding an emergency in camera session today after shocking testimony yesterday on Parliament Hill about corruption, cronyism and coverups at the force's highest levels concerning the RCMP pension plan.

So do you mean all of those police officers are corrupt and/or corruptible or is it just a few?

Signals, you trust the government and the RCMP too much..there's something wrong with you

Like what? What is wrong with having trust in the government and the RCMP? And keep in mind there are police officers outside the RCMP as well... the actions of the RCMP do not reflect on TPS, OPP, or any other organization.

Like what? What is wrong with having trust in the government and the RCMP? And keep in mind there are police officers outside the RCMP as well... the actions of the RCMP do not reflect on TPS, OPP, or any other organization.

OPP, TPS, and any other police organization are just as corrupt.

YEah I agree that while you are on the job, you need to do whatever your employer is paying you for, and follow any lawfull instructions they have given you.

as long as they don't go around identifying themselves as an employee of this department and then engage in negative comments

I dont see identifying yourself as an employee as a problem as long as you make it clear that you are not acting or speaking in any official capacity.

YEah I agree that while you are on the job, you need to do whatever your employer is paying you for, and follow any lawfull instructions they have given you.

I dont see identifying yourself as an employee as a problem as long as you make it clear that you are not acting or speaking in any official capacity.

Many people hear what they want to hear, when I'm in uniform or when people know I am serving in the military rarely do they grasp or care it my opinion, they take it as the department policy.