Shooting at the Eaton Centre

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Why didn’t the registry of restricted firearms prevent this? I’ve heard on the news that 12 gun shots were reported, what about the magazine restrictions limiting to 10 rounds? Or the Authorization to transport?

Clearly another reason for CCW in Canada………As it clearly demonstrates (as with the recent shootings in the lower Mainland) “gun control” laws aimed at lawful citizens don’t prevent gun crime.

Edited by Derek L

Clearly another reason for CCW in Canada………As it clearly demonstrates (as with the recent shootings in the lower Mainland) “gun control” laws aimed at lawful citizens don’t prevent gun crime.

Your contention seems to be that looser gun restrictions like in the US will prevent gun crimes. Can you back that up? Seattle just had a shooting, 5 dead. WA has some of the loosest gun laws on the West Coast. How did they help?

Guest Derek L

Your contention seems to be that looser gun restrictions like in the US will prevent gun crimes. Can you back that up? Seattle just had a shooting, 5 dead. WA has some of the loosest gun laws on the West Coast. How did they help?

The “States” gun laws very from State to State unlike Canada, as for the correlation between State law and crime, simply contrast States with “lax” laws such as Wyoming, Vermont and Alaska contrasted with States like California and New York that have laws similar (or more restrictive than Canada) and their gun crime rates………..Would you rather live in Compton or Casper? In one of those cities you can legally own automatic weapons and carry concealed guns, the other not so much, yet the one with the stricter gun laws has one of the highest homicide rates in the United States.

The “States” gun laws very from State to State unlike Canada, as for the correlation between State law and crime, simply contrast States with “lax” laws such as Wyoming, Vermont and Alaska contrasted with States like California and New York that have laws similar (or more restrictive than Canada) and their gun crime rates………..Would you rather live in Compton or Casper? In one of those cities you can legally own automatic weapons and carry concealed guns, the other not so much, yet the one with the stricter gun laws has one of the highest homicide rates in the United States.

A little simplistic,don't ya' think??

Firstly,could you provide a simple total population difference between the combined totals of Vermont,Wyoming,and,Alaska and the states of California and New York...

And do you think the socio/economic climate of Compton is comparable to Casper,Wyoming???

Guest Derek L

A little simplistic,don't ya' think??

Firstly,could you provide a simple total population difference between the combined totals of Vermont,Wyoming,and,Alaska and the states of California and New York...

And do you think the socio/economic climate of Compton is comparable to Casper,Wyoming???

My point exactly……..Crime specifically has differing root causes than lawful private gun ownership.

My point exactly……..Crime specifically has differing root causes than lawful private gun ownership.

Yeah....But it doesn't mean that it fits your idea that everyone should legally allowed to pack heat...

And you didn't answer the questions...

Guest Derek L

Yeah....But it doesn't mean that it fits your idea that everyone should legally allowed to pack heat...

Why doesn't it? Are there mass shootings weekly in Wyoming or Vermont? Have their gun laws caused an increase in crime? Have California’s tough laws curbed gun crime?

And you didn't answer the questions...

What questions?

Why doesn't it? Are there mass shootings weekly in Wyoming or Vermont? Have their gun laws caused an increase in crime? Have Californias tough laws curbed gun crime?

What questions?

Do you really think restrictive or,as it may be,unrestrictive gun laws are the underlying reason for high crime in NYC or LA???

Seriously??

And the questions were a total population of the States of Vermont,Wyoming,and,Alaska (could you pick a few more rural places???) opposed to the states of New York and California?

And do you think there's a huge difference in the socio/economic climate of Compton and Casper,Wyoming?

Edited by Jack Weber

Guest Derek L

Do you really think restrictive or,as it may be,unrestrictive gun laws are the underlying reason for high crime in NYC or LA???

Of course not. It’s a demonstration though that vary levels of gun control (or lack there of) don’t play a measurable effect on crime.

And the questions were a total population of the States of Vermont,Wyoming,and,Alaska (could you pick a few more rural places???) opposed to the states of New York and California?

It’s a moot point, and plays little into factoring when using percentages and ratios. What’s the rate of crime in both cities?

And do you think there's a huge difference in the socio/economic climate of Compton and Casper,Wyoming?

Of course there is. But how is gun control helping or hindering that?

Of course not. It’s a demonstration though that vary levels of gun control (or lack there of) don’t play a measurable effect on crime.

It’s a moot point, and plays little into factoring when using percentages and ratios. What’s the rate of crime in both cities?

Of course there is. But how is gun control helping or hindering that?

None of the arguments support your claim that Canada "needs CCW" because of this shooting.

CCW Overview

Washington is a shall-issue state; Applicants that meet all of the state requirements must be granted a CPL.

To obtain a Concealed Pistol License, you must:

• Be at least 21 years of age

• Be eligible to possess a firearm pursuant with all state and federal laws

• Pass a background check

Sounds like it has pretty loose gun regulations, yet a shooter just took out 5 people in Seattle. You seem to be trying to make the argument that looser gun laws prevent gun crime. Are you? Edited by Canuckistani

None of the arguments support your claim that Canada "needs CCW" because of this shooting.

Sounds like it has pretty loose gun regulations, yet a shooter just took out 5 people in Seattle. You seem to be trying to make the argument that looser gun laws prevent gun crime. Are you?

I think the arguement he's trying to make is that gun restrictions have no bearing on crime...

But his choices for comparison are a little,shall we say,odd...

Wyoming has a population the size of the city of Hamilton,and it's mostly rural.Vermont isn't heavily populated and is relatively mountainous.And Alaska...Why don't we compare the NorthWest Territories and Ontario???

I also think that it's fairly obvious that Derek is a self admitted gun freak (my words,not his)..

Guest Derek L

Sounds like it has pretty loose gun regulations, yet a shooter just took out 5 people in Seattle.

Where any of the five shot in Washington legally armed?

You seem to be trying to make the argument that looser gun laws prevent gun crime. Are you?

No more, or no less then those that claim gun control prevents crime. Are you?

I’d certainly prefer the legal right to carry one of my 1911s or Hi-Powers and be just as well armed as the criminal(s) in a situation such as the OP.

God created man, but Samuel Colt made them equal

I’d certainly prefer the legal right to carry one of my 1911s or Hi-Powers and be just as well armed as the criminal(s) in a situation such as the OP.

Derek,honestly I don't give a shite about guns or your obsession with them...I don't own one and have no need to...

But do you think the relative ease with which one can puchase a hand gun in the US (which are made for killing other human beings) is one of the reasons for the proliferation of illegal gun use?

Guest Derek L

I think the arguement he's trying to make is that gun restrictions have no bearing on crime...

But his choices for comparison are a little,shall we say,odd...

Wyoming has a population the size of the city of Hamilton,and it's mostly rural.Vermont isn't heavily populated and is relatively mountainous.And Alaska...Why don't we compare the NorthWest Territories and Ontario???

I also think that it's fairly obvious that Derek is a self admitted gun freak (my words,not his)..

You’re close Jack, my point is that Government disarmament of lawful citizens does little to prevent (gun) crime, as demonstrated my strict laws in more populist centers of the United States and their inherent crime rates……Clearly crime is an affliction caused by social/economic factors and the regulation of an object made of wood, steel and polymer plays little intro addressing it.

As for CCW itself, it comes down to “allowing” a private citizen the ability to defend him or herself and I’d suppose ties into self defence laws and mantras……….Some might feel comfortable with the state having the sole reasonability in protecting ones person, other’s not so much………Today in Toronto a 13 year old boy was shot, I have a 16 year old son, and would rather the ability if required to protect him and not solely rely upon the police……..I wonder how the parents of the 13 year old feel today?

Guest Derek L

Derek,honestly I don't give a shite about guns or your obsession with them...I don't own one and have no need to...

But do you think the relative ease with which one can puchase a hand gun in the US (which are made for killing other human beings) is one of the reasons for the proliferation of illegal gun use?

It really depends on the State and their laws pertaining to firearm purchases, but I’d find it doubtful that a gang-banger is Compton is going into the local gun shop a purchasing firearms at retail prices…..Just as I doubt the thugs in the Video I posted from Jane and Finch paid $1200+ dollars for their Hks….

……Clearly crime is an affliction caused by social/economic factors and the regulation of an object made of wood, steel and polymer plays little intro addressing it.

That's right...anybody gotta problem with guns in Canada better stop whining about legal or illegal gun sales in another country and solve their problems right at home.

It really depends on the State and their laws pertaining to firearm purchases, but I’d find it doubtful that a gang-banger is Compton is going into the local gun shop a purchasing firearms at retail prices…..Just as I doubt the thugs in the Video I posted from Jane and Finch paid $1200+ dollars for their Hks….

That's not what I'm getting at...

Those hand guns that get into the hands of criminals were,for the most part,legally purchased at one time...I'm assuming...

The fact that they can be easily puchased in large quantities is the most likley reason for the illegal proliferation of those hand guns,yes?

Guest Derek L

That's right...anybody gotta problem with guns in Canada better stop whining about legal or illegal gun sales in another country and solve their problems right at home.

Indeed, it really comes down to personal perception………For some, a law helps them sleep at night, for others .45 ACP Ball.

Who knows, but they had little restrictions on them to be so. Guess you'll be arguing for compulsory carry laws next. None of those will help you if somebody shoots you first.
Crime? I am for restrictive gun laws. They won't do that much to prevent criminals from having guns. But they'll certainly reduce all the deaths by legals guns - from kids, to people having their guns taken away from them, to the Florida shooting etc.

The guy who shoots you first is more equal than you, and no matter what the power of your gun, it won't help you if you're already dead. Or are you a shoot first type person?