Western provinces decide to promote sustainable development

At the top of a list of topics released in a lengthy communique after the meeting Tuesday was progress on Redford's plan for a Canadian Energy Strategy - a "strategic, forward-thinking plan for sustainable energy management and development that will advance the common goal of ensuring that Canada is a recognized leader in sustainable and secure energy production, supply and transportation including east-west and northern electricity transmission."

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/technology/Western+provinces+come+together+single+united+voice/6699164/story.html#ixzz1wM7JNIZj

Well this is a start.

It looks like we're going to have a long-term national discussion on how to properly develop the oilsands.

Edited by mentalfloss

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a start?

The moderators generally like someone to add something to a first post to kick off the discussion.

From the rules:

All posts must contain some aspect of an argument or attempt to stimulate discussion. Simply posting a URL to an outside source or posting statements that are only one or two sentences long will not be tolerated and the post will be deleted.

:lol: the most illuminating/salient comment coming out of the related Western Premiers conference:

Manitoba Premier Greg Selinger: "The word sustainability means we are all committed to ensuring our energy, whoever it be marketed to, has a good reputation"

soooo... politically "sustainable"... attempting to risk manage international boycotts/sanctions/tariffs given a lack of environmental regulation/oversight!

Oh, I see. I thought we simply weren't able to post entire articles. Okay.. I'll edit something in then.

Thanks....

I do see the reason for that discussion rule: it frames our discussion here and gets things started. From your OP now it seems like you believe that this is a significant shift in the direction from the Western Provinces.

Let's see what others here say.

This should read "Western Provinces decide to promote Buzzwords". Nothing against the West the East is just as bad if not worse but with out action this is just politics.

The irony being that if it wasn't for Mulcair, they wouldn't be scrambling to change their tune.

So much for being divisive.

Edited by mentalfloss

And it will be talked about until the end of time. The question is who is actually going to do something?

Something is always being done. I'm sure it doesn't ever go as far as some would want, but then, it's all about balancing economic development and environmental concerns. Sustainability is a matter of degrees.

Not to this extent. I think exposure to the issue exploded since Mulcair's dutch disease comments.

You mean the attention the media pays has increased. I've been hearing about sustainable development constantly for a decade in Manitoba.

It almost feels like you're trying to say that it took someone from the east to finally open the eyes of the ignorant westerners.

Edited by Smallc

You mean the attention the media pays has increased. I've been hearing about sustainable development constantly for a decade in Manitoba.

It almost feels like you're trying to say that it took someone from the east to finally open the eyes of the ignorant westerners.

It is almost as if for the last 10 years one would say Manitoba was run by the same party Mulcair is in. No that couldn't be?

It is almost as if for the last 10 years one would say Manitoba was run by the same party Mulcair is in. No that couldn't be?

Brad Wall has also talked about sustainable development for years, as have successive BC Premiers. Alberta's last two premiers have also started numerous initiatives. This isn't a partisan issue.

Well this is a start.

It looks like we're going to have a long-term national discussion on how to properly develop the oilsands.

What possible use could the word sustainable have in any discussion about developing a non-renewable resource like oil? It surely can't refer to BC's salmon or the salmon habitat Alberta's sludge-pipe is going to be bulldozed through, not in the wake of Ottawa washing it's hands of it's responsibility to protect salmon.

we want all sectors to do well

This is just straight up bullshit.

What possible use could the word sustainable have in any discussion about developing a non-renewable resource like oil?

This is just straight up bullshit.

yes, clearly... the mammoth tarsands expansion, its 'get it out now, get it out fast' unbridled development, is the epitome of buzzword bingo, non-renewable resource "sustainable development"... for the generations to come!!!

Not to this extent. I think exposure to the issue exploded since Mulcair's dutch disease comments.

Incorrect. This meeting has been schedfuled for about a year.

The focus has nothing to do with Mulcair, and a lot to do with Alison Redford. She campaigned for both leadership and the Alberta election on the need for a national energy strategy, and this meeting will kickstart it. Next stop: the upcoming Federation meeting this summer.

Note also that Mulcairs comments were not on the agenda.

Note also that the gutless Mulcair picked a day when he knew Redford would be out of province (out of country actually) to accept her invitation to visit Alberta and the oil sands for a few minutes. Tommy is a real consensus builder.

Actually he is just following the tradition of St Jacques, who always had different things to say publicly depending on whether he was in Quebec or those rare times he came to AB.

Why would you go to someones "House" to discuss the hygene or cleanlyness when the owner isnt even there? This seems like cowardess to me or possibly a media ploy where hes assure "kiddy gloves"..

:rolleyes:

Incorrect. This meeting has been schedfuled for about a year.

The focus has nothing to do with Mulcair, and a lot to do with Alison Redford. She campaigned for both leadership and the Alberta election on the need for a national energy strategy, and this meeting will kickstart it. Next stop: the upcoming Federation meeting this summer.

Note also that Mulcairs comments were not on the agenda.

Note also that the gutless Mulcair picked a day when he knew Redford would be out of province (out of country actually) to accept her invitation to visit Alberta and the oil sands for a few minutes. Tommy is a real consensus builder.

Actually he is just following the tradition of St Jacques, who always had different things to say publicly depending on whether he was in Quebec or those rare times he came to AB.

Note also that the gutless Mulcair picked a day when he knew Redford would be out of province (out of country actually) to accept her invitation to visit Alberta and the oil sands for a few minutes.
Why would you go to someones "House" to discuss the hygene or cleanlyness when the owner isnt even there? This seems like cowardess to me or possibly a media ploy where hes assure "kiddy gloves"..

:rolleyes:

I understand Alberta has, wait for it... a Deputy Premier, a Minister of Energy, a Minister of Sustainable Resource Development, a Minister of the Environment, a Minister of Economic Development, a Minister of Aboriginal Affairs, a Minister of Forestry, Lands and Wildlife, a Minister of Industry & Commerce, a Minister of Infrastructure, a Minister of Mines & Minerals..... will they all be standing in for the, apparently, irreplaceable Redford? :lol:

And they have 35 cent wings at the hooters too! And your point is? Redford has been his biggest target and she has faught back with remark that Mulcair hasnt even closed on yet. His timing reflect sheer cowardess and the lack of ability to entertain her questions... Mulcair might as well strike up a debate at the Hooters..

I understand Alberta has, wait for it... a Deputy Premier, a Minister of Energy, a Minister of Sustainable Resource Development, a Minister of the Environment, a Minister of Economic Development, a Minister of Aboriginal Affairs, a Minister of Forestry, Lands and Wildlife, a Minister of Industry & Commerce, a Minister of Infrastructure, a Minister of Mines & Minerals..... will they all be standing in for the, apparently, irreplaceable Redford? :lol:

And they have 35 cent wings at the hooters too! And your point is? Redford has been his biggest target and she has faught back with remark that Mulcair hasnt even closed on yet. His timing reflect sheer cowardess and the lack of ability to entertain her questions... Mulcair might as well strike up a debate at the Hooters..

No one is a Target. There is no targets for someone wanting to speak of good policy. Redfords ideas are surly shared among those in her government I am sure they can Share them with Mr. Mulcair. This is a discussion not a war no matter how many times Conservatives try to divide this county as East vs. West, French vs. English, Rural vs. Urban this is about talking what is best for the whole country. Get over yourself.

Edited by punked