It's not a protest, demonstration or strike, IT"S ANARCHY!

Guest Peeves

I may disagree, but I will support your right to protest.

It is the defining characteristic of democracy.

It is not the "defining characteristic" of democracy, if there even is one, singular defining characteristic of the concept. You fetishise protest.

Perhaps its that which precludes you from understanding that democracy requires limitation on protest; ie. the prevention of anarchy, in which democracy cannot exsit. Your failure to grasp that is demonstrated in your support for the disruption of other people's businesses, other people's use of streets, other people's desires to go get the education they paid for; other people's rights, in other words. But, like I said, you'd change your mind completely when it was your rights being trampled by protesters you disagreed with.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look the definitions up. Their actions meet the test in many circumstance

Sure...

sedition - an illegal action inciting resistance to lawful authority and tending to cause the disruption or overthrow of the government

Insurrection- an act or instance of revolting against civil authority or an established government

Edited by guyser

It is not the "defining characteristic" of democracy, if there even is one, singular defining characteristic of the concept. You fetishise protest.

What would you call a state that doesn't allow protest?

It wouldn't be a democracy.

What would it be?

Perhaps its that which precludes you from understanding that democracy requires limitation on protest; ie. the prevention of anarchy, in which democracy cannot exsit. Your failure to grasp that is demonstrated in your support for the disruption of other people's businesses, other people's use of streets, other people's desires to go get the education they paid for; other people's rights, in other words. But, like I said, you'd change your mind completely when it was your rights being trampled by protesters you disagreed with.

I would defend your right to protest.

Let me know when your next one is ... :)

But of course, the 1% doesn't protest, do they?

They just hire lobbyists, buy politicians and subvert democracy to their own greed.

The interference with people's rights and with democracy isn't happening in the streets, but in the 'backrooms' as usual.

It's really irritating to them to see that we 'common people' can actually influence governments. They're not used to having any competition in that.

C'est la vie! :)

Edited by jacee

What would you call a state that doesn't allow protest?

Red herring. I didn't say anything about banning protest. Please respond to what I say, not straw men you built.

I would defend your right to protest.

Again, red herring. You would not defend my trampling on your rights as a means of protesting in favour of my cause.

Red herring. I didn't say anything about banning protest. Please respond to what I say, not straw men you built.

Again, red herring. You would not defend my trampling on your rights as a means of protesting in favour of my cause.

The protests are in the evening, after the business day.

You are overreacting just a bit.

So you don't want to ban the protests ... so what are you ranting on about?

so what are you ranting on about?

It's quite clear what I'm saying (your denegration of it as "ranting" being just another example of your propagandism). You defend the disruption of other people's businesses, other people's use of streets, other people's desires to go get the education they paid for; other people's rights, in other words. In doing so, you demonstrate that you don't understand democracy at all; you twist its definition to suit your cause. You would stop once it was your rights being trampled by protesters you disagreed with.

Protest is a form of expression, and expression is integral to democracy (since democracy requires dialogue). However, expression, including its protest form, cannot be (and is not now, nor has it ever been in Canada) entirely unlimited if democracy is to exist; without limitation, the biggest and/or most violent mob gets all the say as dissenting voices are shut up by it (the protesters preventing students who wanted to go to class from doing so or the mob that disrupted classes and threatened and manhandled some of the studends in those classes being a perfect illustration); dialogue ceases, democracy is gone. (I'm not suggesting Quebec is at or even near that extreme point; but it's at the top of a slipery slope towards it, and you're encouraging things to move down it faster.)

Are you at all aware of what Section 1 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms says?

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

those are my brothers and sisters in the streets protesting. you have no right to put these brave people down. who are you? what have you done to make canada a better place? i know nothing is the answer. easy to criticize people who are trying to make a difference in our country from your computer between bites of your corporate big mac.

those are my brothers and sisters in the streets protesting. you have no right to put these brave people down. who are you? what have you done to make canada a better place? i know nothing is the answer. easy to criticize people who are trying to make a difference in our country from your computer between bites of your corporate big mac.

And what have YOU done to make Canada a better place?

And what have YOU done to make Canada a better place?

i help people learn about social justice and i teach people that they are being taken advantage of by big greedy capitalist pigs who step on the small guy. i support CUPE because of all the good they do in educating the people about the evil of right wing economic policies. i do alot unlike you. you cant even form your own opinion.

There is no need to insult peoples imagined eating habits, but what if expecting people to pay their own way is good for the country, do you discount the possibility that there is value in working hard to get ahead? Is there no room in your beliefs for that? Is competition or getting ahead just dirty words to you? You do know that every living thing on the earth has to work for its own survival, why should any of us be any different.

i help people learn about social justice and i teach people that they are being taken advantage of by big greedy capitalist pigs who step on the small guy. i support CUPE because of all the good they do in educating the people about the evil of right wing economic policies. i do alot unlike you. you cant even form your own opinion.

1)How do you help people learn?

2)Unlike you I work for a living, I pay taxes and I provide services to Canada, so that people like you can spew your misguided ideas.

1)How do you help people learn?

2)Unlike you I work for a living, I pay taxes and I provide services to Canada, so that people like you can spew your misguided ideas.

i worked until i hurt my leg so you are wrong there. i am also a student who pays unreasonable tuition while silverspooners like you get mommy and daddy to foot the bill. what kind of services do you provide?

i worked until i hurt my leg so you are wrong there. i am also a student who pays unreasonable tuition while silverspooners like you get mommy and daddy to foot the bill. what kind of services do you provide?

So you do believe that only silver spooners can be conservative? Its not true.

Unlike you I work for a living, I pay taxes and I provide services to Canada, so that people like you can spew your misguided ideas.

Your living comes courtesy of the taxpayer. Just like those on welfare whom you so despise...

Canadian Forces, and you are 100% right, I was born with a silver spoon, In a communist nation. My parents moved to Canada and have worked like dogs to provide for their kids. Everything I have since I was 18 I have earned through a series of factory and warehouse jobs and service in the Canadian Forces. Everything I have I have paid for with labour, I have been hurt multiple times, torn ligaments, muscles and fractured bones and yet I still managed to do my job. You can cry to me about your hurt leg but you seem like an inexperienced little kid who cannot last 5 minutes in the real world without complaining about the big bad conservatives.

Canadian Forces, and you are 100% right, I was born with a silver spoon, In a communist nation. My parents moved to Canada and have worked like dogs to provide for their kids. Everything I have since I was 18 I have earned through a series of factory and warehouse jobs and service in the Canadian Forces. Everything I have I have paid for with labour, I have been hurt multiple times, torn ligaments, muscles and fractured bones and yet I still managed to do my job. You can cry to me about your hurt leg but you seem like an inexperienced little kid who cannot last 5 minutes in the real world without complaining about the big bad conservatives.

your a typical conservative pro-military hack. i fight for equal rights for all. lets buy jets while peoiple starve.

your a typical conservative pro-military hack. i fight for equal rights for all. lets buy jets while peoiple starve.

Oh my god, I am hurt...Another entitled little prick who thinks that everything should be given to him without putting work in to earning anything.

Oh my god, I am hurt...Another entitled little prick who thinks that everything should be given to him without putting work in to earning anything.

A Marxist-Anarchist of all things. Probabaly uses words like proletariat and fascist at least once a day..