NEW EI rules

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question, do you think with all the things going down over the EI and coming down on seasonal workers and others that the feds should give up EI and transfer it to the provinces and territories and let the them handle it. So so much differences in labour in the provinces and I think giving the control over to the provinces and territories would be better. Thoughts?

It seems to me that the Tories are going after the seasonal workers more than any one else with the new rules. Depending at one's location that may not be fair, after all, what is there to do in the Martimes in the winter or the farm? Could be that the government is starting to see more people drawing from EI than putting in and that would take away from their revenues? These new rules could create a really mess for the people, both the people giving the EI out and the people who are hoping to get it. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ei-rules-takes-aim-frequent-users-force-workers-144639800.html

do you consider it "fair" if seasonal workers routinely seek EI rather than look for other employment?

For how many weeks is it 90% of what you earned? These rules may very well force IT workers into the Christmas tree farms. You better go back and look at the rules. Don't worry though because the government fired everyone at service Canada so they will never be able to enforce them. The are just for you, to help you feel the government is listening to you.

70% of what you earned will force people into poverty. If I earn 30,000 a year 70% of that is 21,000. This is to depress wages so companies can walk away with more money. Heck you want a raise? How about instead I lay you off then offer you the same job at 90% don't want it? Have fun with no EI. Welcome to the new Canada

give me a break - everything is not a Conservative conspiracy

Here's a question, do you think with all the things going down over the EI and coming down on seasonal workers and others that the feds should give up EI and transfer it to the provinces and territories and let the them handle it. So so much differences in labour in the provinces and I think giving the control over to the provinces and territories would be better. Thoughts?

Atlantic Canada and Quebec would then demand more transfer payments to cover it

When has it been tried in the past? And which governments fell because of it?

The temporary layoff question is a tough one. But that doesn't change that seasonal workers are scamming the system. If students can get summer jobs, seasonal workers can get jobs in the off time.

I am a construction worker(seasonal worker),I have not used EI for 15years.I agree that some people abuse the system,but it is a small few. The Government should have used the 50 Billion Dollars they stole from the EI system 4 years ago to fund education. You also have to ask yourself when you go to the store and buy lumber,seafood,bread(grains)produce.............. these items are all brought to you by seasonal workers,would you work at any of these jobs?

Edited by Dee

Atlantic Canada and Quebec would then demand more transfer payments to cover it

Right now,Canada is 8 Billion in the red in the new EI fund but when it gts back into the black, then divide the money up and then all workers EI goes to their provinces not to the feds.

I was watching the senate committee on this Bill and the opposition senators were peeved because they had question about the new rules that they wanted to ask Findley and the Chair said that is was a Budget Bill and all questions were to the minister of finance not to other ministers and the finance minister had come and gone.

I wasn't aware that EI was a broken system.

Have they released the number of people they believe are scammers?

The Conservatives did not campaign on this so it came out of nowhere.

Hopefully it does not go into law.

I wasn't broke until the A/T's took the 57 billion and put 2 billion in the new EI fund and the rest they said went to debt. Myself, I would have put more money into the EI fund.

• 7 months later...

Just listening to a rep. for the Federal Taxpayers, and he said with the new increases in EI premiums, that the feds have collected 21Bil and have only paid out 9 Bil.in EI and that anyone making $47,000 is paying an extra $40.00. So, I wonder what THIS government going to do with the surplus?

Just listening to a rep. for the Federal Taxpayers, and he said with the new increases in EI premiums, that the feds have collected 21Bil and have only paid out 9 Bil.in EI and that anyone making $47,000 is paying an extra $40.00. So, I wonder what THIS government going to do with the surplus?

You know exactly what they're going to do. Blow their own horns come election time when they balance the books by putting out the fires they created.

Actually, Harper will likely blow it on punishing people for being ill instead of treating them. "It's all about playing to the [Conservative] base," said Casey. Like the new EI rules...

The books will never ever be balanced. Treating the mentally ill with the justice department will quadruple the cost. What a bunch of sphincters...how many goddamn times do we have to go down this stupid road? The Conservative base....we're talking what, 12 maybe 13 percent? It's freaking unbelievable just how far this tail can wag this dog. This is democracy?