Liberal Gay agenda once again pushed on the mayor!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's any question of a militia marching him out to Church St. here. It's about representing people (for some) or basic political opportunism (for others).

As the Mayor of Toronto, he is the official representative of the city. He wants to spend the long week-end with his family (meaning he won't be in town for Canada Day celebrations btw)? Fine. The Pride festival in 10 days.

Okay. But, what other events are there that would be appropriate for the mayor to attend? Many (all?) of the events that take place during the week around the parade are third party, as well.

How about the official proclamation of Pride at city hall?

If it's political, then why are people aghast at the idea the mayor may be making a political statement by not showing up?

Personally, I'm not "aghast". I just want him to be honest about his motives.

Yet the gay activists are using politics as a hammer to force the mayor into complying to their wishes that he attend the gay pride parade as a public display of his acceptance of their lifestyle. Would we accept such strong-arm behaviour from any other group in society?

I dunno, how would you feel about the mayor skipping out on a Remembrance Day ceremony or Holocaust memorial?

Frankly nobody should be forced to do anything in canada.

rob ford has stated he is busy.

he doesn't hate gay people or pride week. he just has more important things such as a family. he is a busy mayor and should take the long weekend to relax and spend time with his family.

Ha ha. The guy who can spare time to call constituents back about leaky pipes and piles of sand can't spare an hour to read a proclamation. Riiiight.

Frankly nobody should be forced to do anything in canada.

rob ford has stated he is busy.

he doesn't hate gay people or pride week. he just has more important things such as a family. he is a busy mayor and should take the long weekend to relax and spend time with his family.

Nobody's forcing him to do anything. He can avoid the Gay Pride Parade all he wants, but people have every right to criticize him for it.

Guest Peeves

Nobody's forcing him to do anything. He can avoid the Gay Pride Parade all he wants, but people have every right to criticize him for it.

Lets put the left wing cards on the fence.

It's only political because the left want to make it political, make it about a pretty much right wing mayor, pretty much about a mayor that has put pressure on unions, on contracts, on the left councilors, that's the politic angle not whether he supports PRIDE or not. Just another way to attack anything right of center.

Just another opportunity for left wing whining.

I didn't criticise our former pinko mayor Miller for attending. That was his choice, and Mayor Mel will hug anyone, biker, gay or shopper. His choice.

Whether any public official attends ANY function should be their choice, if they attend everything THEN it's political.

I suggest that those officials that DO attend are the ones playing politics. Of course some have attended some VERY questionably groups functions.

So long as he's not spouting religious denigration of gays or condemning them, then he is entitle to an opinion just as YOU or I.

Whether any public official attends ANY function should be their choice
It depends. A backbencher or city councillor attending whatever event they want is one thing. Cabinet ministers or the mayor of the city attending an event is an endorsement. Stephen Harper goes to a pro-life rally tomorrow, he's there as a representative of the government of Canada, not just some MP from Calgary. If Rob Ford goes to the Pride Parade, he's there as a representative of the City of Toronto. And when he snubs the event, he does so as a representative of the City of Toronto.

Lets put the left wing cards on the fence.

It's only political because the left want to make it political, make it about a pretty much right wing mayor, pretty much about a mayor that has put pressure on unions, on contracts, on the left councilors, that's the politic angle not whether he supports PRIDE or not. Just another way to attack anything right of center.

Just another opportunity for left wing whining.

Which I suppose is why you've decided to show them by whining even louder?

I didn't criticise our former pinko mayor Miller for attending. That was his choice, and Mayor Mel will hug anyone, biker, gay or shopper. His choice.

Whether any public official attends ANY function should be their choice, if they attend everything THEN it's political.

That doesn't make an iota of sense.

I suggest that those officials that DO attend are the ones playing politics. Of course some have attended some VERY questionably groups functions.

So it's only political when you disagree with the cause. Gotcha.

So long as he's not spouting religious denigration of gays or condemning them, then he is entitle to an opinion just as YOU or I.

He's entitled to his opinion, but as a politician he has certain obligations and expectations. Of course, he's never learned that because he's a really shitty politician.

He's entitled to his opinion, but as a politician he has certain obligations and expectations. Of course, he's never learned that because he's a really shitty politician.

It's not even as a politician. It's the fact that he's mayor and all mayors before him attended. His absence is noticeable. If the precedent hadn't been set, nobody would even notice. However, since the city has endorsed Pride up until his tenure, his absence speaks for the entire city government. Nobody gives a crap if some nobody councillor doesn't show up. The mayor serves a different function.

I dunno, how would you feel about the mayor skipping out on a Remembrance Day ceremony or Holocaust memorial?

It's not an easy comparison to make. Remembrance Day and Holocaust Memorial Day are formalized in federal legislation. Non participation of politicians in the observance of those memorials don't appear to be subjected to the same level of repetitive condemnation as Ford for skipping the gay pride parade. This is all hypothetical but my sense is that Ford would not be hounded so intensely by veterans' groups or the Jewish community if he was a no-show and provided an explanation.

It's not an easy comparison to make. Remembrance Day and Holocaust Memorial Day are formalized in federal legislation.

We're assuming all else is equal to to look at the principles at work.

Non participation of politicians in the observance of those memorials don't appear to be subjected to the same level of repetitive condemnation as Ford for skipping the gay pride parade.

Can you provide an example?

This is all hypothetical but my sense is that Ford would not be hounded so intensely by veterans' groups or the Jewish community if he was a no-show and provided an explanation.

I think if a politican blew off such an event to hang out at the cabin (as opposed to an official reason), he'd get a right bollocking from a lot of people. And rightly so.

Because the message is about gay rights. So what political statement does his absence make in that light? That's why people are aghast.

Then that confirms my opinion that people who are aghast overinflate the importance of the parade. There are more meaningful ways to support "gay" rights, if one wishes to do so (and if one is so exclusive with their support for sexual freedoms).

[ed.: sp]

Edited by g_bambino

Then that confirms my opinion that people who are aghast overinflate the importance of the parade. There are more meaningful ways to support "gay" rights, if one wishes to do so (and if one is so exclusive with their support for sexual freedoms).

Poassibly, but there are few more visible. That's the point.

Poassibly, but there are few more visible. That's the point.

Meh. I tend to value substance over image.

Of course, as a politician, Ford should be obsessed with image. But, again, he should also want to portray an image that's appealing to his voters, very few of whom, I'd imagine, will be at or care much about Pride.

Can you provide an example?

I looked for an example where a public figure was chastised to the extent Ford was and could not find any.

I think if a politican blew off such an event to hang out at the cabin (as opposed to an official reason), he'd get a right bollocking from a lot of people. And rightly so.

And as was pointed out by other posters, they are in their right to do so.

[ed.: sp]

Who are you to tell the Gay Community what is and is not meaningful to them?

I looked for an example where a public figure was chastised to the extent Ford was and could not find any.

That wasn't what I was looking for.

And as was pointed out by other posters, they are in their right to do so.

Which was never at issue. Not sure why this red herring is still flopping around on the deck.

Meh. I tend to value substance over image.

And I'm sure Rob Ford does many great things behind the scenes for the gay community. :blink:

Like, if a gay guy needed his sidewalk cleared, Ford would be all over that.

Of course, as a politician, Ford should be obsessed with image. But, again, he should also want to portray an image that's appealing to his voters, very few of whom, I'd imagine, will be at or care much about Pride.

I guess if you believe, as Ford does, that being a politician is simply a non-stop campaign, then yeah sure. I don't think it's a bad thing to hope for someone a little less cynical though.

Guest American Woman
American Woman, on 19 April 2012 - 06:23 PM, said: That's merely your opinion.

Glad you see that you're just throwing around your opinion now because you were presenting it as fact. Happy to help.

Your opinion is just that, while what I said is reality, as was what I had quoted from Black Dog's post. I quote: Pride Week in Toronto is one of Canada's premier arts and cultural festivals and one of the largest Pride celebrations in the world.

"Arts and cultural." There is no "political." As I said, it's entertainment. Gays have won their rights in Canada, and again, this parade does not represent the gay community. If they want to celebrate their pride, good for them; but that's what it is - a celebration, not a political statement.

Your opinion is just that, while what I said is reality, as was what I had quoted from Black Dog's post. I quote: Pride Week in Toronto is one of Canada's premier arts and cultural festivals and one of the largest Pride celebrations in the world.

You ignored the context of my post. I said the overtly political aspect has diminished, not vanished entirely. Incidentally, many gays I know don't participate because it's not political enough.

"Arts and cultural." There is no "political." As I said, it's entertainment.

:rolleyes:

Gays have won their rights in Canada, and again, this parade does not represent the gay community.

You don't know what we're talking about when we use the term political, do you?

If they want to celebrate their pride, good for them; but that's what it is - a celebration, not a political statement.

Yes, if you read the tourist bumf and ignore the entire history of the event then you're on to something. :rolleyes:

Guest Peeves

That is one, granted.

Perhaps he just has a deep-rooted fear of drag queens; they can be quite scary, like clowns. Look at how he reacted to Marg Delahunty, and she's not even a man in a crazy female getup.

Funny comment. LOL, although what proof do we have that she isn't?