When is enough, enough already!

Topaz

St Patrick's Day, and everyone out celebrating, for some too much. In London On., college students upset a CTV van and set it on fire. The police and the firemen tried to put it out the the young drunk and probably high on drugs, kept throwing their alcohol drinks on it to keep it going. What with these kids or drunks? Isn't it time for them to pay the piper and pay the cost for the van and have their name in the newpapers? What are the parents of these drunks think? What, if anything does the college have responsibilty? http://ca.news.yahoo.com/st-patricks-day-party-mob-sets-fires-battles-102502937.html

St Patrick's Day, and everyone out celebrating, for some too much. In London On., college students upset a CTV van and set it on fire. The police and the firemen tried to put it out the the young drunk and probably high on drugs, kept throwing their alcohol drinks on it to keep it going. What with these kids or drunks? Isn't it time for them to pay the piper and pay the cost for the van and have their name in the newpapers? What are the parents of these drunks think? What, if anything does the college have responsibilty? http://ca.news.yahoo.com/st-patricks-day-party-mob-sets-fires-battles-102502937.html

There's a certain element who will get away with whatever you let them get away with. You'll note the police didn't really do much but stand back cowering in terror that they might have to do something for their $100k salaries. Hardly anyone was arrested, and those who were will, at worst, get a slap on the wrist. There's really no deterrent to violent behaviour of this sort so people don't feel restrained from engaging in it.

Guest Manny

The youth today know that our system is inherently corrupt and the only future we hold for them, is to be yoked up to the same corrupted apparatus we created and inherited, but today it is on public display for all to see. There is no hiding it. In the past there was at least a semlance of fairness and opportunity for all.

This F-U attitude is what they are born and bred on, right from the get-go with liberal laissez faire, anything goes, say what you want, there is no moral compass, no right no wrong, no higher authority. There is no consequence, no afterlife. There is nothing. Only to consume, and be consumed.

Youth have amazing energy and life flowing through their veins. Unfortunately, some of them don't know how to properly and safely take that energy and life and set it loose on the world. These kids should have been in a club somewhere banging their heads to some heavy metal bands or banging a girlfriend. This is just acting like idiots.

I blame the kids and parents. Both obviously stupid. If I ever had a kid and they did that I'd lop their gonads off.

You'll note the police didn't really do much but stand back cowering in terror that they might have to do something for their $100k salaries.

Not that I don't agree with you, but you might want to check those numbers:
2010 SALARY AND BENEFITS

Cadet

$35,410

Cadet Recruit (While attending OPC)

$35,410

Constable – 4th Class A

$49,532

Constable – 4th Class B

$54,730

Constable 3rd Class

$61,931

Constable 2nd Class

$69,837

Constable 1st Class

$80,807

(with 8-16 yrs experience)

$83,231

(with 17-22 yrs experience)

$85,655

(over 23 yrs experience)

$88,080

Source: http://www.police.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Careers/Salary_Benefits.htm

I don't see $100k on the list.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman

The police and the firemen tried to put it out the the young drunk and probably high on drugs, kept throwing their alcohol drinks on it to keep it going. What with these kids or drunks?

The police are there as the kids are throwing alcohol on the fire to keep it going - so an even bigger question is what's wrong with the police?? Seriously.

I blame the kids and parents. Both obviously stupid.

Kids have minds of their own and they don't always do what mommy and daddy tell them to do. Every kid who rebels and/or does anything stupid, especially when they are drunk, doesn't have stupid parents; kids that age likely don't handle alcohol very well.

If I ever had a kid and they did that I'd lop their gonads off.

If they weren't arrested, how are the parents to know what they're doing at that age?

Radio stations in SW Ontario are talking about this and one mother said that apparently each St Patrick Day, is a custom to burn a couch and this has been done for many many years but living on Fleming Street is not a easy because what the students do during the school year. Even though this area is known for out of control situations, this past weekend, has been the worse. There's a different mayor now and he won't take this, like the former mayor. I think some of the students arrested are going to be kick out of school for the year and the CTV could sue them for damages. Maybe they should keep the kids in school so they can get an education to pay for the damages. Police do have a year to get their act together and I think things will be different next year or next time when the students on Fleming Street, decide to burn a couch.

I think what should happen is next year when the new student come to London, the landlord, the school, police and parents, should have a meeting at the college and tell them what is expected from them and get the ones renting the houses to sign a contract for ANY damages in the houses or the street, if they haven't done so. The parents aren't liable, the kids are over 18 and perhaps the landlords could kick them out, if these kids are also doing drugs. The police could explain any new change to the crime bill and scare the hell of out them!

Guest Peeves

Not that I don't agree with you, but you might want to check those numbers:

I don't see $100k on the list.

None of the numbers of course add up to the wages after overtime for court etc. Even O.T. for parking a cop car and officer at a construction site.

Compensation & Benefits

As a full-time employee of the Toronto Police Service you will be entitled to the following compensation and benefits:

Family health plan

Dental plan

Life insurance

Access to employee credit union

Pension plan (OMERS)

Paid vacation

Education reimbursement

Employee and Family assistance program

* Additional details regarding the listed benefits can be obtained upon request

Everything that is mentioned above. Being government workers, in addition to being overpaid and receiving crazy benefits, you will have lots of overtime pay. Note that those are only for the first few ranks, and only the basic salary (no raises - minimum pay). You will have a very strong union which will continue to rip taxpayers off

In 2009, around 400 employees of the Toronto Police Services made more than $100,000 a year. This doesn't include benefits. The highest amount was more than $300,000.

Note that the force is not hiring this year due to cuts in budget raises.

Source(s):

sunshine list

toronto police site

Totally anecdotal but I hear many people talk about the generation of people in their early 20's currently as some of the most lazy entitled people they've ever come across.

Thats what they said about gen-exers 20 years ago. But, not really. Our generations didnt drive up the debt to insane levels at every level of government, but we'll be paying for it for decades after the boomers die out.

Not to say I support what these idiots did in London or in Vancouver last year. With cameras everywhere it shouldnt be hard to find everyone involved and charge them accordingly.

None of the numbers of course add up to the wages after overtime for court etc. Even O.T. for parking a cop car and officer at a construction site.

OT is OT. People are entitled to earn extra if they're willing to give up their personal life and work longer than 48 hrs per week or whatever the contract stipulates otherwise.

Guest Peeves

OT is OT. People are entitled to earn extra if they're willing to give up their personal life and work longer than 48 hrs per week or whatever the contract stipulates otherwise.

I agree. That wasn't your point though. You used half truths.