Alberta Election 2012

Can I see the estimates you were going by then? I find it odd how depending on the source the numbers change and was having difficulty finding Stats Canada's 2009 figures.

I believe I was using budget numbers predictions however I found stats can. It appears I was off.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/100428/dq100428a-eng.htm

Edited by punked

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NDP is pro labour.

It's a shame that more workers don't vote in their own interest.

I find it very ironic when I drive down a lower-income street of condo's/townhouses/rentals and see conservative signs up. Conservatives don't serve the interests of those people. Conservatives only start to serve your interests when your wage is getting above 60k.

Alberta has it's own ironic insanity.

The Wild Rose party is pulling votes of Libertarians and Social Conservatives. Albertan social conservatives must not understand the definition of libertarian...

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

The Wild Rose party is pulling votes of Libertarians and Social Conservatives. Albertan social conservatives must not understand the definition of libertarian...

This is why the party is allowing the people to decide moral issues. The PCs lasted 40 years and they had red Tories, blue Tories, social conservatives, and libertarians all under the one tent, it wasn't till they moved closer to the centre that they lost their more conservative members. People don't have to agree on every issue be in the same party.

NDP is pro labour.

It's a shame that more workers don't vote in their own interest.

I find it very ironic when I drive down a lower-income street of condo's/townhouses/rentals and see conservative signs up. Conservatives don't serve the interests of those people. Conservatives only start to serve your interests when your wage is getting above 60k.

So what, you consider $60k priveledged or rich or something?

When I was a kid making $20k a year, I still voted conservative. Why? Because my needs were being met and I didn't particularly care that I was busting my ass off at $10/hour while some guy I knew sat at home in subsidized housing collective welfare and pogey smoking weed all day!

Thus...I voted conservative because my VALUES were better reflected than my financial interests.

Edited by BornAlbertan

So what, you consider $60k priveledged or rich or something?

When I was a kid making $20k a year, I still voted conservative. Why? Because my needs were being met and I didn't particularly care that I was busting my ass off at $10/hour while some guy I knew sat at home in subsidized housing collective welfare and pogey smoking weed all day!

Thus...I voted conservative because my VALUES were better reflected than my financial interests.

I know lots of people on welfare who sit around smoke pot and vote conservative.

They like to go fishing and hunting.

Regardless the funny thing with Conservatives is they like to have whipping boys...and anecdotal evidence....

Wages are down... $60k isn't a ton of money..and Conservatives like lower wages for workers..

This is why the party is allowing the people to decide moral issues. The PCs lasted 40 years and they had red Tories, blue Tories, social conservatives, and libertarians all under the one tent, it wasn't till they moved closer to the centre that they lost their more conservative members. People don't have to agree on every issue be in the same party.

You can't be libertarian and true conservative. Libertarians would be for homosexual marriage.

Can't have that... It just shows how hypocritical people are. "I want more rights and freedom... but that person isn't like me so they shouldn't."

You can't be libertarian and true conservative. Libertarians would be for homosexual marriage.

Can't have that... It just shows how hypocritical people are. "I want more rights and freedom... but that person isn't like me so they shouldn't."

You can have libertarian views without being a libertarian on every issue.

Danielle Smith is pro-choice but from what I understand she's willing to allow the public to decide policy on abortion. I don't see how libertarians and social conservatives couldn't agree on that.

Do they?

Yes, its why they have lowered labour costs even more with the use of Migrant workers..

Here is a little snip of the Chinese workers that the government has increased to the tune of 750,000 migrants IIRC.

Since I know alot of people from your area working in Alberta (they used to work in Ontario) here is where the rest of the workforce is coming from....

----------------------

Sinopec, the contractor owned by the Chinese government, could not be reached for comment.

Someone from the company had signing authority on all of the workers' bank accounts. The workers were living in a camp and could request spending money to buy items from the camp store, said union representative Wayne Prins.

That signing authority could also have been used to take money from the accounts.

On Saturday, Liu Ruijuan, the 26-year-old widow of welder Ge Genbao, said her husband told her he would make the equivalent of $600 Cdn a month. He should have been making $30 an hour, or at least $4,800 a month, plus overtime and benefits, according to the union's collective agreement.

----------

Sun Shumei, widow of electrical engineer Liu Hongliang, said her husband made about $8,800 during the six months he worked here before he died

--------------------------------------------

Most temporary foreign workers in Alberta are hired individually. When Canadian Natural Resources hired the Chinese company to build the tanks, labourers and management included,

-----------------------------

You can have libertarian views without being a libertarian on every issue.

Danielle Smith is pro-choice but from what I understand she's willing to allow the public to decide policy on abortion. I don't see how libertarians and social conservatives couldn't agree on that.

They asked her if she'd ban abortion. She said that she could if she would but she can't so she wont.

NDP is pro labour.

If they were really pro labour, they would not be so vehemently opposed to initiatives that would actually create new jobs, or to companies already providing them. If you're pro labour, you want more labour. If that labour is there to be had in a place like the oil fields, you'd be wholeheartedly in favour of that. If lower taxes can increase the profitability of companies that provide jobs, you'd be all over that too.

Proves my point, they should'nt even be close, but the PC's have gone to far left for albertans.

PCs haven't gone left. Where they have gone is fat, bloated, lazy, full of entitlement and pretty much have been for quite sometime. Its part of the problem of being in Government too long. Their campaign is pathetic, and shows a complete disconnect to the people. They are the Goverment of the Government.

One thing that Earnest Manning realized to late for the Socreds. Was to never have a Federal and Provincial Party with the same name so as to keep the stink of one government off the other.

I expect the PCs to get tossed out and they deserve it. No one can be certain what the next government will bring but as is Albertas History.. they make a wholesale change and start from scratch and stick with it for the next 30 years or more...

I expect the PCs to go into the same history books as the Social Credit in Alberta. I figure they are about to join their PC counterparts in BC, and Sask. Gone forever...

I would consider this election more of a Coup d'état then anything else.

A province with the lowest voter turnout across the country suggests that citizens gave up on Alberta Politicians long long ago.

Baloney. Smith is pro-life.

You don't want libertarians and social cons deciding that in Alberta, be careful what you wish for. Despite what The Grope and Flail says, there are not enough of either in AB to carry any new prolife initiative.

A province with the lowest voter turnout across the country suggests that citizens gave up on Alberta Politicians long long ago.

Yeah, idiots and political losers trumpet that tired old tune all the time. In reality, people like what they have in AB. That's why they come from all over the world to get it. Duh.

Next idiot ccmment: if the 50% who don't vote went to the polls, they'd all vote NDP or Liberal.

Got that source?

Danielle Smith did not say she would ban abortion, but her party spokesman implied they'd delist it. That means people have to pay for it themselves.

Smith has been clear she would not introduce legislation to ban abortion because in her view uit is a federal repsonisibility. It isn't of course in Canada, since abortion is considered a medical procedure and thus a provinical responsibility.

And of course Smith is weaseling bigtime, since legislation is not required to delist anything, the govt can list and delist whatever they wish, more or less, without legislative change.