gOD Sent Christopher Hitchens to Hell

monty16

because he loved him!

[RichardDawkins.net comment:] Predictably, the death of Christopher Hitchens has resulted in some truly foul responses from certain quarters of the religion of love that is Christianity. Responses that only underline the sheer contrast between the courageous, erudite, loyal, generous and humane colossus that was Hitch, and the ignorant, fearful, hate-filled, shrivelled ugliness of people whose brand of religion has posioned their natural compassion and taught them to look down on a man who was their superior in every conceivable way.

This video is one of the best/worst examples. Feel free to link to others in the Comments below. Comments such as these illustrate perfectly why Hitch so raged against the demeaning and dehumanising effects of religion, and why it is so important for all of us to work tirelessly to keep up his good work now he's gone.

And if anyone wants to post on this thread saying, 'Oh, but these people aren't true Christians and they've misunderstood what Christianity's all about' - please don't bother. It's them you need to tell, not us.

It can't be said any better than this. Go to Richarddawkins.net to see the video. And do it today!

Edited by monty1

I hereby lay claim to the record on this forum for having the most number of views without any other member posting on the thread. 44 so far!

Well, there's really not much anybody can add, Monty! Are there religous intolerant wingnuts? Yes, of course there are.

Do you have to be religious to be an intolerant wingnut? NO!

So how is being religious even relevant to the discussion?

Well, there's really not much anybody can add, Monty! Are there religous intolerant wingnuts? Yes, of course there are.

Do you have to be religious to be an intolerant wingnut? NO!

So how is being religious even relevant to the discussion?

Maybe because they sent him to hell? :)

Well, there's really not much anybody can add

Yep. This thread is pretty irrelevant. So there's some people that didn't like Hitchens. So what? That's equally as impressive and as relevant as the Christian groups that held pray for Hitchens days after he was diagnosed with cancer.

Like I said in a previous Hitchens thread regarding his passing. He was the only prominent intellectual athiest around. Unfortunately, now we're left with clowns like Dawkins.

If you consider that I will soon own this forum Shady, you may be able to understand why I wanted to lay claim to a title as soon as possible.

If you expect to "own" this forum you had better pull up your socks fast, Monty! So far you are doing a very poor job!

Do you hate bitter,hate filled people,or,do you simply think all Christians are bitter and hate filled?

I would say that the christian community is heavily weighted with bitter, hate filled people Jack. And again, I have to reply to this inane and ridiculous question because it's necessary to make the point of my not suggesting 'all' christians. Had you not suggested 'all' then I wouldn't have had to even bother. Try not to waste my time Jak.

I would say that the christian community is heavily weighted with bitter, hate filled people Jack. And again, I have to reply to this inane and ridiculous question because it's necessary to make the point of my not suggesting 'all' christians. Had you not suggested 'all' then I wouldn't have had to even bother. Try not to waste my time Jak.

The most trouble I've ever had on this board was any faith based discussion with virulent atheists...

And angry,hateful lot filled with thier own pseudointellectual hubris...

Pride before the fall,and all....

Guest American Woman

Maybe because they sent him to hell? :)

The religious sent him to hell? Wow. Such power.

As was pointed out, religious people also prayed for him, and mourned his death.

Hitchens insistence that his beliefs are the truth is no different from the religious extremists who claim their truth is The Truth. He was just as vocal, just as intolerant, and he was just as judgmental of believers as those who claim he is in Hell.

While we are on this earth, 'what we believe is true.' All we have is our truth, our belief, and everyone who insists that they know what the actual truth is, and intolerantly, judgmentally puts that view forth in such a manner, are all in the same category.

So what we believe is true - for us - until we die. Then what is, is.

As was pointed out, religious people also prayed for him, and mourned his death.

Hitchens insistence that his beliefs are the truth is no different from the religious extremists who claim their truth is The Truth. He was just as vocal, just as intolerant, and he was just as judgmental of believers as those who claim he is in Hell.

While we are on this earth, 'what we believe is true.' All we have is our truth, our belief, and everyone who insists that they know what the actual truth is, and intolerantly, judgmentally puts that view forth in such a manner, are all in the same category.

You can have your own beliefs, but you cannot have your own truth.

Hitchens didn't so much try to have others accept his truths as he wanted others to reject Christian lies and fantasies. He did that in the name of making the world a better place and a more peaceful place. If you are a practicing Christian who takes the bible literally then you are simply wrong. If one choosed to live their life as a lie then that's their business but they have no business teaching children the lies too before those children are old enough to separate fact from fiction. Those children who are indoctrinated will live their entire lives in the dark. No caring and rational parent would do that to a child if they first stopped and considered what they are doing to the child and the person for life. It has to be a form of child abuse.

Hitchens didn't so much try to have others accept his truths as he wanted others to reject Christian lies and fantasies. He did that in the name of making the world a better place and a more peaceful place. If you are a practicing Christian who takes the bible literally then you are simply wrong. If one choosed to live their life as a lie then that's their business but they have no business teaching children the lies too before those children are old enough to separate fact from fiction. Those children who are indoctrinated will live their entire lives in the dark. No caring and rational parent would do that to a child if they first stopped and considered what they are doing to the child and the person for life. It has to be a form of child abuse.

Hitchens rammed his 'truths' about religion down others' throats. He was as close minded about some things as anyone else or you, for that matter. You talk about a better place and a more peaceful place as if it's a rare thing to want such. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wants such a world, he just thinks that to achieve it you need to wipe Israel off the map.

Guest American Woman

Hitchens didn't so much try to have others accept his truths as he wanted others to reject Christian lies and fantasies.

Ummmm. "His truth" is that Christian beliefs are "lies and fantasies." So yeah, he most definitely was out there pushing his truth in as much as Falwell, for example, is pushing his.

He did that in the name of making the world a better place and a more peaceful place.

Again, no different at all than "the religious" who are trying to get others to accept their truth. You think they are doing it in the name of making the world a worse place and a less peaceful place? :rolleyes:

If you are a practicing Christian who takes the bible literally then you are simply wrong. If one choosed to live their life as a lie then that's their business but they have no business teaching children the lies too before those children are old enough to separate fact from fiction. Those children who are indoctrinated will live their entire lives in the dark.

Whatever you say, Mr. Jerry Atheist Falwell. ;)

No caring and rational parent would do that to a child if they first stopped and considered what they are doing to the child and the person for life. It has to be a form of child abuse.

And here we have the atheist version of the religious "you are going to hell if you don't believe my truth." With one, you go to hell. With the other, you are guilty of child abuse.

Same mindset completely. And of course you don't see it, which is just another way your mindset is just like theirs.

Ummmm. "His truth" is that Christian beliefs are "lies and fantasies." So yeah, he most definitely was out there pushing his truth in as much as Falwell, for example, is pushing his.

But Christian beliefs are fiction or as you like to say in criticism of this "lies and fantasies."

Again, no different at all than "the religious" who are trying to get others to accept their truth. You think they are doing it in the name of making the world a worse place and a less peaceful place? :rolleyes:

Yeah. It is different. You don't get to have your own personal truth. If something is true, then it is true for everyone.

And here we have the atheist version of the religious "you are going to hell if you don't believe my truth." With one, you go to hell. With the other, you are guilty of child abuse.

Same mindset completely. And of course you don't see it, which is just another way your mindset is just like theirs.

I agree completely, its ironic how similar the atheist is to the ones they accuse of child abuse. The atheist has just as much faith in their beliefs if not more.

Whatever you say, Mr. Jerry Atheist Falwell. ;)

We need to work together to find some truth. You can't go through life not caring. And so we need to ask ourselves a few questions to start with to lead us in the right direction. Considering that the debate on what is the truth is between creationism and evolution, we could start by asking ourselves some direct questions.

Choose between a billions of years old earth or a young earth around 10,000 years old.

Or if you want to go through life pretending you're the good cop who can be nonbiased then just do that. I for one will just address everything you say as coming from a 'good cop personality'. You will be known as the good cop who supports truth along with garbage to keep the peace.

Myself, I'll continue to speak my mind in trying to ferret out the truth. It would be a pretty boring forum if we all took your good cop approach wouldn't it!

What they believe in is the question. They believe that there is no God. That takes faith.

Some atheists believe there is no God, most just don't believe in God. The important thing, however, is that atheism is simply not believing in God. What atheists believe has nothing to do with atheism.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman

But Christian beliefs are fiction or as you like to say in criticism of this "lies and fantasies."

Ummm. No. It's your belief that Christian beliefs are fiction, yet you promote it as 'the truth,' same as those who push their religious beliefs as 'the truth;' so, as I said, you provide balance to the world.

Yeah. It is different. You don't get to have your own personal truth. If something is true, then it is true for everyone.

Wrong. Everyone gets to have their truth - you get to have your belief that there is no God while those who do believe get to have their belief that there is. Of course there are some insisting that those who don't believe as they do "don't get to have [their] truth," and that's what makes everyone in that camp all the same. Whether one's belief is in God or no God, they are the same in their mindset; all believing they are right, and that everyone should believe as they do - pushing those beliefs in the same judgmental, insulting, threatening, 'I am superior, only an ignoramus would have different beliefs' way - which is what makes Christopher Hitchens, and a few here, nothing more than an Atheist Jerry Falwell. Ironic, it is.

Some atheists believe there is no God, most just don't believe in God. The important thing, however, is that atheism is simply not believing in God. What atheists believe has nothing to do with atheism.

I thought I knew what I was cyber but now you have me all confused. I believe that there is no god or gods and I don't believe in the supernatural. But I also don't believe 'in' gods or the supernatural. Could you help me out a little in understanding what I believe? Or where would I go to find literature to tell me which of your two I am. This may sit o.k. with the good cop but I can't leave it at that.