Gender Equality in Canada and the US

cybercoma

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've decided to use this thread for interesting Feminist literature that I come across. Even if it means talking to myself. I know the majority of this forum is male, but I think we need to enter into a Fourth-Wave of feminism that involves more men taking action against gender inequality in our society. Things will only change if we all work together. The first step is becoming informed.
There is the "equality of opportunity" and then the "equality of outcome".

Cybercoma, when you refer to "Gender Equality", what kind of equality do you mean?

Or do I misunderstand your definition of the word "equality"?

----

BTW, I looked at the linked threads in your OP, in particular the GoodManThread, and its comments. They struck me like discussions in the Cold War.

IMV, a good life is based on co-operation, not competition. Unfortunately, Leftists don't understand how to foster co-operation. North American Leftists in particular are typically protestant Lutherans or Roman Catholics: they want to correct individuals and make us all better.

North American Leftists, like Lutherans, believe in the perfectibility of man: For them, "We can make humankind better."

I don't believe in such.

IMV, I think rather like the writers of the US Constitution. If we want a good society, let us design a system where even bad people, despite their intent, manage to do good.

Edited by August1991

Man you really have an odd view of sex. We live in Canada, not 18th century Germany. If my wife needs it and I'm really tired I should just tell her to masturbate, eh? So that's how things are at your house...

You didn't need to make this personal.

And I find it a bit alarming that you find it odd that I believe people shouldn't be forced into having sex when they don't want it.

I suppose the Rape Culture is all pervasive though.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman
...I find it a bit alarming that you find it odd that I believe people shouldn't be forced into having sex when they don't want it.

There's a huge difference between "persuasion" and "force" just as there's a huge difference between "persuasion" and "rape."

I didn't want to have sex before lunch since I'm a bit sick with a headache. I just wanted to get my coffee once our sick children went down for a nap. My wife approached me in our bedroom before I had a chance to finish changing out my jammies into day clothes. I knew what she wanted, that look was in her eyes. My first response was that I just wanted to get my coffee, sit at the computer to read some news and relax. She jumped on me, making me fall onto the bed. Then she made me take my clothes off.

She then had her way with me...

When it was done, I put my clothes back on, went downstairs and made my coffee... Then I thought about this thread.

I was just sexually assaulted by my wife. :o

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

There's a huge difference between "persuasion" and "force" just as there's a huge difference between "persuasion" and "rape."

The goal of persuasion is to make someone do something that they otherwise are not open to doing. Making someone do something that is not their will is force. Making someone have sex with you against their will is rape. It's all too common for people to demean women or make them feel guilty for not "putting out", which results in many doing things that they're not comfortable doing. Oh, but the best part, thanks to society being afflicted with the Virgin-Whore Copmlex, is that women are also demeaned or made to feel guilty about putting out too. The Virgin-Whore Complex does not apply whatsoever to men.

I didn't want to have sex before lunch since I'm a bit sick with a headache. I just wanted to get my coffee once our sick children went down for a nap. My wife approached me in our bedroom before I had a chance to finish changing out my jammies into day clothes. I knew what she wanted, that look was in her eyes. My first response was that I just wanted to get my coffee, sit at the computer to read some news and relax. She jumped on me, making me fall onto the bed. Then she made me take my clothes off.

When it was done, I put my clothes back on, went downstairs and made my coffee... Then I thought about this thread.

:lol:

How many guys get "forced" into doing it a second or third or fourth time when we just want to pass out after finishing?

Maybe it's just me... but I'm pretty sure I'm not THAT quick! :lol:

I remember one particularly aggressive girl woke me up in the middle of the night by slapping my face gently because she wanted seconds... B)

RAPE CULTURE!!! MASCULISTS UNITE!! :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

Guest American Woman

The goal of persuasion is to make someone do something that they otherwise are not open to doing. Making someone do something that is not their will is force. Making someone have sex with you against their will is rape.

If someone is persuaded to do it, they are not forced. It's their decision. I'm sure women persuade men to have sex sometimes, too. Do you think otherwise? I'm sure at times they try to turn a man on when he otherwise would not be open to having sex.

It's all too common for people to demean women or make them feel guilty for not "putting out", which results in many doing things that they're not comfortable doing.

Give women some credit. We are able to stand up to men on occasion - and act on our own will. ;)

Oh, but the best part, thanks to society being afflicted with the Virgin-Whore Copmlex, is that women are also demeaned or made to feel guilty about putting out too. The Virgin-Whore Complex does not apply whatsoever to men.

Yeah, women in this day and age feel so very guilty about "putting out" as all men are looking for a virgin and demean those who are not. <_<

You are describing the 50's, not the twenty-first century.

You didn't need to make this personal.

And I find it a bit alarming that you find it odd that I believe people shouldn't be forced into having sex when they don't want it.

Let me get this right. You tell me to go f**k myself. In another thread yesterday you say I'm being condescendingly white. Now all of a sudden you claim sensitivity regarding personal attacks. Riiiight.

Since you find so many things 'a bit alarming' maybe you need to rethink your philosophy of blindly supporting the feminist ideology. And you are dead wrong about getting a quickie as a favor out of your partner is assault. Nobody is forcing anything. That's beyond hilarious, and borders on some kind of puritanical/feminist creed.

Edited by sharkman

Yeah, according to cyber you just got raped. Perhaps he can offer counseling. But it would probably be for your wife as somehow you forced her to rape you.

Let me get this right. You tell me to go f**k myself. In another thread yesterday you say I'm being condescendingly white. Now all of a sudden you claim sensitivity regarding personal attacks. Riiiight.

Since you find so many things 'a bit alarming' maybe you need to rethink your philosophy of blindly supporting the feminist ideology. And you are dead wrong about getting a quickie as a favor out of your partner is assault. Nobody is forcing anything. That's beyond hilarious, and borders on some kind of puritanical/feminist creed.

1) I wasn't telling you to go fuck yourself. You were speaking in general terms in your original post, then for some strange reason made it personal. Having to "convince" someone to give you action because you feel like you need to get off is using another person as a means to an end. That end could be achieved by masturbating just as well. Having to persuade or convince an unwilling participant doesn't very well consider that participant's thoughts or feelings.

2) Just because I support an ideology that you don't happen to believe in doesn't mean that it's blind support. That's intellectually lazy. You don't agree with feminism, so anyone that does is "blindly following" it. Give me a break.

Yeah, actually you were sexually assaulted if she forced to have sex and you didn't want it, married or not.

However, here's where the Rape Culture makes itself obvious. You think it's a joke. From your mocking tone, you make it obvious that you did want it, so you obviously weren't assaulted. What you're doing is making it seem like those who resist sexual advances really actually do want it. No means yes. They just need a little "persuading".

This is a serious and alarming feature of our culture right now.

Edited by cybercoma

1) I wasn't telling you to go fuck yourself. You were speaking in general terms in your original post, then for some strange reason made it personal. Having to "convince" someone to give you action because you feel like you need to get off is using another person as a means to an end. That end could be achieved by masturbating just as well. Having to persuade or convince an unwilling participant doesn't very well consider that participant's thoughts or feelings.

2) Just because I support an ideology that you don't happen to believe in doesn't mean that it's blind support. That's intellectually lazy. You don't agree with feminism, so anyone that does is "blindly following" it. Give me a break.

Whatever rationalizations you make do not change the fact you made personal attacks. And to protest mine makes you a hypocrite. Your views of sex are indeed strange, as several others have noticed.

The reason I called your support blind is that I have read dozens of your posts on this topic and have a good read on your views. And I find it creepy that you refuse to reveal your sex in your info section, it appears that you have some hang ups in this area, which dovetails with your blind support of anything feminist.

Edited by sharkman

However, here's where the Rape Culture makes itself obvious. You think it's a joke. From your mocking tone, you make it obvious that you did want it, so you obviously weren't assaulted. What you're doing is making it seem like those who resist sexual advances really actually do want it. No means yes. They just need a little "persuading".

I'll bet you're a hoot on a date. Waddya doing next Saturday night?

Guest American Woman

And I find it creepy that you refuse to reveal your sex in your info section, it appears that you have some hang ups in this area, which dovetails with your blind support of anything female.

Cybercoma is a guy - he speaks of his wife.

Yeah, actually you were sexually assaulted if she forced to have sex and you didn't want it, married or not.

And here's where you, once again, go off the rails. You seem to approach sex in a theoretical sense only, and seem to imagine that couples get turned on at the same time when many times it's one partner leading the way. That means that only one partner might be in the mood. The earlier example listed is a perfect example. Sometimes the other partner will be agreable to getting in the mood, and sometimes not. It happens all the time. You and feminists need to get a clue but you are too busy shouting about 'sexual assault'. Well fill your boots, dude.

Whatever rationalizations you make do not change the fact you made personal attacks. And to protest mine makes you a hypocrite. Your views of sex are indeed strange, as several others have noticed.

I didn't protest you you making it personal. All I said was that it was unnecessary. You continued to make it personal by taking my comment "go masturbate" as though I were issuing a command to you, when the post I was replying to was a general abstraction and not a personal anecdote. And even here you continue to make it personal by saying my views on sex are "strange". The only thing that I've said is that people should not be coerced into having sex against their will. I know that may seem strange in our rape culture, but it's actually the ethical position.

I find it creepy that you refuse to reveal your sex in your info section, it appears that you have some hang ups in this area, which dovetails with your blind support of anything feminist.

Interesting. I don't put my gender in my profile, but I have never once hid my gender from anyone nor do I refuse to reveal it.

Although I speak of a wife and AW assumes that I'm a man, I could very well be a woman. However, I don't refuse to reveal my gender. It's just not particularly relevant to discussions on a message board, unless you're one for engaging in ad hominems, and in this case you haven't even asked. You just assume I flat out refuse.

Guest American Woman
Although I speak of a wife and AW assumes that I'm a man, I could very well be a woman.

Since you don't include your gender in your profile, it makes no sense that you would speak of a wife, not a spouse, if you were a woman. Furthermore, you have said that you are a man. ;)

So, if you know that I'm male, why would you make the odd assertion that I refuse to reveal my gender? I don't understand why it's creepy that I didn't put my gender into my profile. Like I said, I don't think it's relevant what the gender of posters are. This is the only forum I've seen that does that.

You think it's a joke. From your mocking tone, you make it obvious that you did want it, so you obviously weren't assaulted. What you're doing is making it seem like those who resist sexual advances really actually do want it. No means yes. They just need a little "persuading".

Remember where this line of discussion started? When feminists tried to inform me that persuading a woman to have sex after a negative indication is sexual assault.

What I think is a joke, is the feminists who claimed that it is sexual assault if you reversed my situation with me making the advance and my wife being tired/just wanting coffee.

But I'm a man... so it is impossible for a female to be the sexual aggressor toward me. If the penis is hard he wanted it.

I keep hearing about this rape culture... but I don't see evidence of it in the numbers.. Aggravated sexual assaults have declined 48% since 1999... The the other levels of sexual assault have declined 32%-20% in the same time.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist