European Cup vs. Stanley Cup

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you miss the point, 5yr olds can't do that but you can find entire teams of 5 yr olds that can skate, skating isn't that difficult to learn...

And my point is that 5 year old soccer players don't have David Beckham's skill-set.

Maybe so,however,most folks in baseball usually send college players to AA to get the "college baseball" out of them...

AA is'nt exactly "elite"...

True, but you won't really be an elite batter in NCAA college batting .250 will you?

There are power plays in the finals what are you talking about?

Hes basically right. Traditionally the refs try to not decide big games... theres less penalties in a huge series, and less at critical times late in games, during overtime, etc.

Now though I just think its plain inconsistant. Hockey is one of my favorite sports and Iv been a fan for a long time... But the NHL is the worst run and worst officiated sports league on the plant. Its getting really hard to watch. No spirit.. no heart... no emotion... no intensity. It looks like they are all best friends out there.

What's an elite timbit??

Do you have to pay extra for those???

Usually the 5 year old kid of a former pro hockey player.

Have you priced out what it actually costs parents for their kids to play elite hockey these days? Oh yeah, you have to pay a lot extra for those! :D

Hes basically right. Traditionally the refs try to not decide big games... theres less penalties in a huge series, and less at critical times late in games, during overtime, etc.

Now though I just think its plain inconsistant. Hockey is one of my favorite sports and Iv been a fan for a long time... But the NHL is the worst run and worst officiated sports league on the plant. Its getting really hard to watch. No spirit.. no heart... no emotion... no intensity. It looks like they are all best friends out there.

When an NHL ref gets kicked out of the league for betting on games he is reffing, then those refs might be bad. But right now, basketball has the crown and Tim Donaghy is the king.

Edited by Shwa

Usually the 5 year old kid of a former pro hockey player.

Have you priced out what it actually costs parents for their kids to play elite hockey these days? Oh yeah, you have to pay a lot extra for those! :D

I know a kid who plays JV football and plays some sort of rep level hockey...His Mom told me they've paid over $2000 for him to play....And get this...

They made this 14 year old kid sign a "contract" that he would'nt play any sport,other than hockey...

Rep football costs $500 all in...

Guess which way he's headed??

ive watched the last 20 stanley cup finals and remember penalties called in the ones i can remember

I know a kid who plays JV football and plays some sort of rep level hockey...His Mom told me they've paid over $2000 for him to play....And get this...

They made this 14 year old kid sign a "contract" that he would'nt play any sport,other than hockey...

Guess which way he's headed??

I did a calculation once on the amount of money this woman was paying for her elite hockey son to play, it was thousands of dollars in the winter, thousands in the summer, camps, travel, hotels, etc. In the 10 years this kid's parents were paying this out so that maybe one day he could get a US college scholarship, they could have paid for a decent US college education outright.

The trouble is, the kid was an excellent lacrosse player and could have gotten a scholarship had he stuck to it. Ontario Rep lacrosse = $500.00 per season.

Folks, hockey is very expensive.

To sign with my brothers AAA team is $2300 , then there are arena fees for entry for all other than players, sticks running from $100-$250 a month, so far there have been 4 tourneys, Flint Mich,Some Christian College tourney down Mass way (Mercyhurst maybe) and Pennsylvania.

To come is the christmas tourney and since they have qualified there is the Silver Stick tourney in January.

DO the math for those 4 tourneys, gas food hotel entertainment.

All told about 60 games then playoffs.

$5000 + and in many cases almost $10,000 every year.

All players above House league sign contracts, 2 yr contracts was the norm and has been forever.

I signed them waaaaaay back in the day.

It was a little cheaper to play elite, however we played 60 games, 5 tourneys (one on West Coast in Van City or St,Louis each yr) and then playoffs right thru to the finals.

Yup!

Ne thankful you dont have swimmers.

Seems swimming and figure skating are not volunteer jobs, they are paid. A freind has 3 daughters in swimming, in excess of $5000 per child.

Coach gets paid, hotel and expenses paid.....my brother is a AAA coach and doles lots of his own money but does not get free anything.

(well he gets free tape....and I steal it from him alllll the time)

Edited by guyser

I did a calculation once on the amount of money this woman was paying for her elite hockey son to play, it was thousands of dollars in the winter, thousands in the summer, camps, travel, hotels, etc. In the 10 years this kid's parents were paying this out so that maybe one day he could get a US college scholarship, they could have paid for a decent US college education outright.

The trouble is, the kid was an excellent lacrosse player and could have gotten a scholarship had he stuck to it. Ontario Rep lacrosse = $500.00 per season.

ya that's true, with new equipment tournament fees, hotels, an easy $500-1000 per kid for soccer per season...and there are actually very few scholarships given out and they're usually not that generous when they are... Edited by wyly

:unsure:

Folks, hockey is very expensive.

To sign with my brothers AAA team is $2300 , then there are arena fees for entry for all other than players, sticks running from $100-$250 a month, so far there have been 4 tourneys, Flint Mich,Some Christian College tourney down Mass way (Mercyhurst maybe) and Pennsylvania.

To come is the christmas tourney and since they have qualified there is the Silver Stick tourney in January.

DO the math for those 4 tourneys, gas food hotel entertainment.

All told about 60 games then playoffs.

$5000 + and in many cases almost $10,000 every year.

All players above House league sign contracts, 2 yr contracts was the norm and has been forever.

I signed them waaaaaay back in the day.

It was a little cheaper to play elite, however we played 60 games, 5 tourneys (one on West Coast in Van City or St,Louis each yr) and then playoffs right thru to the finals.

Yup!

Ne thankful you dont have swimmers.

(well he gets free tape....and I steal it from him alllll the time)

my yougest is a swimmer but luckily he has no interest in competition so Y is good enough and not club swimming with fund raising and such...
Seems swimming and figure skating are not volunteer jobs, they are paid. A freind has 3 daughters in swimming, in excess of $5000 per child.

Coach gets paid, hotel and expenses paid.....my brother is a AAA coach and doles lots of his own money but does not get free anything.

20 yrs ago a competitive level figure skater could cost a parent 20K per year...I know woman who was a national level skater, her mother had to get a full time job just to pay for the skating...

And my point is that 5 year old soccer players don't have David Beckham's skill-set.

hmmm that contradicts your earlier post
True. But a kid can learn to kick, head, knee and 'chest' a soccer ball much easier than learn to skate.
so which is it...first you claim skating is more difficult to learn now you're telling me 5 yr olds don't have beckams skill set...which confirms what I'm telling you, skating isn't that difficult to learn, doing what beckam does is far more difficult...

I dismantled your injury rant...thread is doing just fine B)

soccer allows players to come into the game if there is an injury ..so its not like they play short a man or men

in hockey you only have an extra goalie on the bench so if a player gets hurt you have to play down a man or two

which puts extra pressure on other players and they end up playing a lot more minutes

hmmm that contradicts your earlier post so which is it...first you claim skating is more difficult to learn now you're telling me 5 yr olds don't have beckams skill set...which confirms what I'm telling you, skating isn't that difficult to learn, doing what beckam does is far more difficult...

Does a 5 year old need David Beckham's skill-set to play soccer?