Doug Ford suggests schools explore UFC-linked program

Shwa

I am still waiting for you to come up with the proof that the NHL, CFL, CBA or any other sporting body has "community programs" to help build character in Toronto school children.

Did you come up with anything yet? Nah, of course you didn't. :rolleyes:

Maybe you could see if the WWF has something in the works?

But that is beside the point. Hockey is not the same type of sport as UFC and linking them in this way, after the Premier just made anti-bullying a priority is disengenuous on your part.

Well fine, precedents can be set. But pick your argument. You're either upset that the Ford's want to bring in Pro Athletes into school or you're upset that he wants to bring MMAers.

Again prove to me MMA has anything to do with bullying. Bullying if far more psychological than physical.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not concerned about bullying as much as I am with the prospect of this turning kids into UFC fans.

UFC is definitely an acquired taste. I like watching some of the PPV's. There are certain fighters I try to follow.

But lots of gyms are teaching MMA for fitness purposes similar to how they have boxing gyms.

Based on the number of participants and the nature of the sport, the injury rate in UFC is much higher than hockey, likey to the point of no compare.

No, but they have died in MMA and that is with a much better thing to compare it to.

And I don't think anyone is going to be using the schools to promote MMA right after the Premier announced anti-bullying legislation either. :rolleyes:

Also, since UFC has only been around since 1993 and hockey has been around for over 150 years, give UFC time.

Prove it. Put up the numbers.

Well UFC is just a popular way to combine different martial arts. It hasn't shaken it's no-holds-bar blood sport image from the early 90's I guess but it's a different sport. There are rules, some fans would consider them restrictive rules.

Boxing has been a popular sport for a long time now. I'm sure had a politician found a way to get Mohamed Ali to come into school and promote good things like leadership, fitness, understanding etc. I don't think there'd be a huge outcry.

Have you seen Ali? The whole reason he's a physical mess is because he's taken too many punches in the face.

It's common for Pro Football players not to make it past the age of 60 because of all the head injuries they take. Many hockey players have died recently and head injuries have been to blame.

Just because MMA is a combat sport doesn't mean the participants can't be role models. I'd imagine many children would benefit from looking up to a guy like GSP.

This is exactly it. The program isn't designed to teach kids how to fight anyway.

Well fine, precedents can be set. But pick your argument. You're either upset that the Ford's want to bring in Pro Athletes into school or you're upset that he wants to bring MMAers

The argument is right there in the OP son. Did you miss it? Again?

Again prove to me MMA has anything to do with bullying. Bullying if far more psychological than physical.

:rolleyes:

Prove it. Put up the numbers.

A total of 171 MMA matches involving 220 different fighters occurred during the study period. There were a total of 96 injuries to 78 fighters. Of the 171 matches fought, 69 (40.3%) ended with at least one injured fighter. The overall injury rate was 28.6 injuries per 100 fight participations or 12.5 injuries per 100 competitor rounds

UFC 139 medical suspensions and injuries: 'Hendo' and 'Shogun' each get 180-day fight freezes

UFC 139, November 19th: 12 fights on the card, 24 fighters - 12 medically suspended due to injury. Uh, that's 50% injured.

Now, seriously, do you think the NHL has a 50% injury rate?

That is in 12 games between two teams of 20 players each for 480 players, do you believe there were 240 players injured?

Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

Well what type of injuries are we talking about? Black eyes eyes and cuts? OR concussions and ACL tears sprained fingers. UFC fighters have a fight once every few months. Their fight is usually only 15 minutes too.

Anyway this issue is currently moot. The event the Star was raging about happened yesterday. I haven't heard reports of MMA riots happening in Toronto schools as of yet this morning. But it's early.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/06/ufc-fights-bullying

TORONTO - Any concerns about UFC fighters being appropriate anti-bullying ambassadors were put to rest at the Rogers Centre Tuesday.

Some 500 kids from Toronto and London, Ont., schools spent the afternoon in a massive classroom listening to some of the biggest names in MMA share their stories of perseverance and experiences with bullying.

Afterward a boy reached out to Toronto Police Sgt. Kevin Hooper — who spoke at the event and helped plan it with the UFC — for help dealing with his own bullying situation.

“That’s the reason for doing this,” Hooper said, after giving the boy his contact information so they could talk more later.

There have been questions raised this week about athletes involved in a violent sport lecturing kids on bullying.

But Hooper said the young victim he met, who is about 10, felt comfortable coming forward after listening to the fighters.

“In my opinion, we hit a home run,” the officer said.

The event — hosted by MMA analyst Showdown Joe Ferraro, who admitted he has been bullied — kicked off the week-long lead-up to UFC 140 at the Air Canada Centre.

Video messages from Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and his brother, City Councillor Doug Ford, were played on the scoreboard.

Both said that bullying will not be tolerated.

Well what type of injuries are we talking about? Black eyes eyes and cuts? OR concussions and ACL tears sprained fingers. UFC fighters have a fight once every few months. Their fight is usually only 15 minutes too.

For gawdsakes, do you even have a clue?

Anyway this issue is currently moot. The event the Star was raging about happened yesterday. I haven't heard reports of MMA riots happening in Toronto schools as of yet this morning. But it's early.

Is that would you were expecting? MMA riots in schools? :rolleyes:

Do they need a "downside" to bash Ford? :) The "downside" is Doug Ford's name is somehow involved. If Doug Ford was advocating Mother Teresa helping out in schools, you can bet they would still be bashing him.

Advocating Mother Teresa in public school is wouldn't be separating church and state. I could see protests happening for that.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people drop Mother Theresa as shorthand for someone who does good work when the real MT was a pretty horrible creature.

Kay.

Why cuz like Hitchens says, she told people to embrace their poverty?

I'm not Catholic and I haven't researched the evils of Mother Theresa so I'll yield to your expertise on this. :huh:

Well it calls your study into question if they can't even get the math correct.

For one, it isn't my study and, for two, unless you read it fully and come back with specific criticisms, you look rather blunty.

For one, it isn't my study and, for two, unless you read it fully and come back with specific criticisms, you look rather blunty.

Not my criticism it's cybercoma's.

I'm not really all that concerned with the instances of injuries in MMA. No one is saying it isn't a violent sport.

The question is, do they have no right telling kids about the peril's of bullying.

Edited by Boges

Right. It's a red-herring.

Not quite, it's distasteful coming from an uncouth and slovenly mind such as Doug Ford's appears to be. He has and endless bucket of dumb at his disposal and he appears to have his hands in it often.

Now, back to those statistics, so UFC has way higher injury rate than hockey, don't you agree? :D

Well UFC is just a popular way to combine different martial arts. It hasn't shaken it's no-holds-bar blood sport image from the early 90's I guess but it's a different sport. There are rules, some fans would consider them restrictive rules.

Boxing has been a popular sport for a long time now. I'm sure had a politician found a way to get Mohamed Ali to come into school and promote good things like leadership, fitness, understanding etc. I don't think there'd be a huge outcry.

Have you seen Ali? The whole reason he's a physical mess is because he's taken too many punches in the face.

It's common for Pro Football players not to make it past the age of 60 because of all the head injuries they take. Many hockey players have died recently and head injuries have been to blame.

Just because MMA is a combat sport doesn't mean the participants can't be role models. I'd imagine many children would benefit from looking up to a guy like GSP.

Erm...If one looks at history,boxing programs used to be available at high schools all over the place...

Admittedly,the sucky-poo's who find anything "violent" abhorrent successfully got alot of high school and college boxing programs killed...

I would prefer a reimplentation of high school boxing teams than UFC/MMA,but that's because I don't really like MMA and I do like boxing...