Russia in Syria

olp1fan

There ya go, still want to set up a no fly zone in Syria? With Russia supplying Syria weapons this will ensure NATO does not intervene

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gRiFZOAklLppFIe27RYEf8IVFChQ?docId=CNG.f6d3a9636701d32f2295f7676a30b0bd.791

MOSCOW — Russia has delivered supersonic cruise missiles to Syria despite the violence shaking the Arab country and Israel's furious condemnation of the deal, a news report said on Thursday.

"The Yakhont supersonic anti-ship cruise missiles have been delivered to Syria," a military source told the Interfax news agency without disclosing when the shipment was made.

Russia signed a contract reportedly worth at least $300 million (222 million euros) in 2007 to supply its traditional Arab world ally with a large shipment of the cruise missiles.

Reports said Russia intended to deliver 72 of the missiles to Syria in all.

The deal immediately angered Israel, which fears the weapons may fall into the hands of Hezbollah militants in neighbouring Lebanon.

Russia has since also come under growing pressure from Washington, which wants all military sales to President Bashar al-Assad's regime halted because of his deadly crackdown on Syrian street protests.

But Moscow has defended Assad against global pressure and this week argued that its arms sales were permitted under international law and would continue.

Another Russian official told Interfax that the missiles, which operate as part of the Bastion mobile coastal defence system, "will be able to protect Syria's entire coast against a possible attack from the sea."

Each Bastion system is equipped with 36 cruise missiles as well as truck-mounted radar and other equipment.

It was not immediately clear how many of the missiles Russia has delivered to Syria so far.

Edited by Charles Anthony
merged into "Russia delivering missiles to Syria"

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There ya go, still want to set up a no fly zone in Syria? With Russia supplying Syria weapons this will ensure NATO does not intervene

Yeah...an anti-shipping missile will sure put the fear of Allah into the evil Americans and Zionists. They'd never figure out how to neutralize technology 20 years behind the times.

:lol:

Guest Derek L

Nato is flat broke. Why on earth would you want to start a gigantic war over nothing whether or not you can "curbstomp" your opponent?

What was the financial state of Europe and North America circa 1935? Industrial War is good for the economy.....of the winning side.

Nato is flat broke. Why on earth would you want to start a gigantic war over nothing whether or not you can "curbstomp" your opponent?

I highly doubt Russia will get involved in this if escalates more. Keep in mind what happened in Serbia in the late 90's. To be fair they were much closer to Russia (Due to shared heritage and culture) then Syria ever has been or will be. At most, it will be an angry posture and some angry words before it all calms down. Also I don’t think NATO will get involved in Syria, I think we should let them handle it on their own seeing as everyone was opposed in NATO's interference in Libya

I wonder if those Soviet Russian wonder weapons can "sink" Incirlik.......

Oh, I don't doubt that they work up to a point. Just Western countermeasures still outpace Russian capabilities by quite a huge margin. Against Argentina's navy, I'd imagine they'd be quite a pill...for example. But the RN or the USN? A sheet-load of Wild Weasel-like activity to follow just turning on the thing's radar system.

What was the financial state of Europe and North America circa 1935? Industrial War is good for the economy.....of the winning side.

No war provides a temporary boost to an economy, but only at the expense of the real productive activity, and the expense of peoples money and savings. Most of the allied countries that fought in WW2 still havent even paid off their tabs yet, and the debt and inflation generated by all these wars is a gigantic drain on the modern economy.

Guest Derek L

NATO is planning to point nuclear shield right at Russia what makes you think NATO wants to be friends with Russia?

How many planned interceptors are there versus Russian ICBMs and MIRVs?

Oh, I don't doubt that they work up to a point. Just Western countermeasures still outpace Russian capabilities by quite a huge margin. Against Argentina's navy, I'd imagine they'd be quite a pill...for example. But the RN or the USN? A sheet-load of Wild Weasel-like activity to follow just turning on the thing's radar system.

Honestly I think that the Royal Navy of today would have a hard time with the Argentina.

No war provides a temporary boost to an economy, but only at the expense of the real productive activity, and the expense of peoples money and savings. Most of the allied countries that fought in WW2 still havent even paid off their tabs yet, and the debt and inflation generated by all these wars is a gigantic drain on the modern economy.

If a temporary boost to you is the late 1940s to the end of the century...then yeah...temporary.

:lol:

Guest Derek L

My point, shore based anti ship missiles pose zero threat to NATO airbases in Cyprus and Turkey, nor a SSN in the Mediterranean……..The Maginot Line redux

Guest Derek L

How'd the United States make out after the war?

My point, shore based anti ship missiles pose zero threat to NATO airbases in Cyprus and Turkey, nor a SSN in the Mediterranean……..The Maginot Line redux

I agree. Somebody here was all wet in the panties about Pakistan's cruise missile and how it would whip our Yankee luvin' rear-ends in one shot. I giggled.

Youre assuming these weapons would be used in a naval battle, but if push came to shove its more likely they would be used against merchant vessels.

Edited by dre

Guest Derek L

Youre assuming these weapons would be used in a naval battle, but if push came to shove its more likely they would be used against merchant vessels.

This is true, they very well could be used against a freighter or ferry…….once. Shore based defences have been obsolete for centuries.