Why we plan to fight Ford’s Star boycott

Shwa

Why we plan to fight Ford’s Star boycott

It is good to see the Star stand up to the bully and now take the fight to him. This whole freeze out has been completely mismanaged by the Ford cadre when they could have used it to their advantage. But when you have the Mayor's office unilaterally deciding that the city's largest newspaper should be left out of press releases and such, I believe that freedom of the press is compromised.

And what is the hissy fit all about?

The ban has been in place ever since Ford won the mayoral race more than a year ago. It stems from Ford’s rage over a piece the Star ran during the campaign about his conduct as a football coach.

There is no purpose served in rehashing the details. However, the Star has always stood by the story, noting it was carefully checked by our lawyer before publication.

Candidate Ford was furious and filed an immediate notice of libel, which is entirely and appropriately his prerogative. But he never followed up, as required, and his suit has now lapsed.

So Ford filed for libel, the Star called his bluff - again - and now he is being a big baby about the whole thing.

Really? By publishing news stories about him in their news paper? Why, how dare they! :D

I'm sure even you'll admit they go much further than that. (Unflattering pics, publishing Heather Mallick columns about him, hounding him at his cottage during Gay Pride Week etc.)

BTW regarding the football player story in question.

The Global and Mail actually did some real journalism and interviewed the kid and he denied the Star report.

http://www.daylife.com/article/048kdpw6VReOl

Apparently you need to subscribe to the Globe to get the full story. :huh:

Why should Rob Ford go to court and spend money out of his own pocket to prove his innocence when he can easily shut them out. It's not like anyone believes he did what the Star accused him of.

I'm sure if the integrity commissioner says he has to pass on press releases to the Star I'm sure he will do the minimum required of him.

Edited by Boges

Here's a better source.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/informer/mayor-may-not/2010/07/28/allegations-that-rob-ford-struck-a-student-are-total-bunk/

Remember those allegations reported (somewhat timidly) in the Toronto Star that a long time ago in a field far, far away, Rob Ford had yelled at and possibly even struck a student he was coaching in high school football? It seems the story is all bunk, as the Globe and Mail has found the young man in question, and he explicitly denies any violence. Jonathan Gordon, now a member of the Canadian Forces, gave his version of events in today’s Globe.

Coach Ford had yelled at the team for failing to meet his expectations, Mr. Gordon recalled. “The way he worded things, I didn’t like it.”

Mr. Gordon returned for the start of the second half anyway. Instead of playing hard, he let pass an opposing player he could have tackled easily, and then started walking off the field.

“Ford lost his temper, started yelling at me,” he said. “I took my helmet off, threw it off the field [and] basically told him he ‘can go fuck himself.’ We got into a heated argument. We were pretty close, face to face and then we got separated by the assistant coach [Peter Bowman] and that was it.”

Gordon is probably not the first person of any age to want to use that kind of language with Ford. The best part of the article is Gordon’s addendum: “Trust me, if he had slapped me, I would have beat the crap out of him. No word of a lie.”
Edited by Boges

I'm sure even you'll admit they go much further than that. (Unflattering pics, publishing Heather Mallick columns about him, hounding him at his cottage during Gay Pride Week etc.)

BTW regarding the football player story in question.

The Global and Mail actually did some real journalism and interviewed the kid and he denied the Star report.

Did you read the original Star article? The Star never claims Ford hit or slapped the player. They simply reported the claims of others who did.

Ford was coaching at Newtonbrook Secondary School in North York in 2001 when he had a confrontation with a young player over poor performance on the field, say two witnesses who spoke with the Star on condition of anonymity.

Chris Spence, director of education for the Toronto District School Board, confirmed a dispute between a student and Ford was dealt with internally, although he was not aware of the details.

“Something did happen and they decided that he was no longer welcome to coach at Newtonbrook,” said Spence, himself a former pro football player who was not director of the board at the time.

Witnesses interviewed by the Star disagree on whether there was a physical confrontation between Ford and the student player.

Ford, one of his players and an assistant coach at the time deny any physical contact took place. But a parent and another player say Ford aggressively manhandled the student in anger.

Link

Why should Rob Ford go to court and spend money out of his own pocket to prove his innocence when he can easily shut them out. It's not like anyone believes he did what the Star accused him of.

It's believable enough, given his history.

Edited by Black Dog

They still published the article without going to the only source that matters: The guy he supposedly assaulted.

That's the kind of journalism you see for a trashy gotcha tabloid. Someone said something about someone so we'll go to press with it because we don't like the guy.

Well apparently Ford didn't read the article either and when his bluff was called he folded up his tent faster than an OCAD student at the St. James Occupy.

However, he dropped his blustery lawsuit and the Star is, by far, the largest newspaper in the City. For the Mayor's Office to shut them out is not only doing more damage to his reputation, squatting on freedom of speech, but he is doing a disservice to Star readers.

However, he dropped his blustery lawsuit and the Star is, by far, the largest newspaper in the City. For the Mayor's Office to shut them out is not only doing more damage to his reputation, squatting on freedom of speech, but he is doing a disservice to Star readers.

I don't think this is an issue of Freedom of Speech.

I'm sure you don't like what he's doing. But really has he done anything you've liked?

I guess we'll see how the Integrity commissioner rules. I suspect he might be forced to give them press releases. As if they couldn't get them on their own, aren't they posted on the city's website?

But no one can force him to deal with them directly if he doesn't want to.

I don't think this is an issue of Freedom of Speech.

Using public office to stifle the reporting of issues important to the public is a freedom of press-like issue, which impacts freedom of speech. Can you imagine if if every politician started doing this because some press reported something they didn't happen to like?

I'm sure you don't like what he's doing. But really has he done anything you've liked?

Not true. I thought his appearance on This Hour Has 22 Minutes was simply outstanding. Worthy of a Gemini at the very least.

I guess we'll see how the Integrity commissioner rules. I suspect he might be forced to give them press releases. As if they couldn't get them on their own, aren't they posted on the city's website?

On what grounds could the Inegrity Commissioner possibly force them to give press releases?

No, the snit it 100% all his. Not very mature.

And he doesn't have to. No one is saying Rob Ford needs to go and be interviewed by The Star or support them in any way whatsoever. However, when the City of Toronto issues press releases, otherwise known as notices to the public, they shouldn't keep those notices from the largest newspaper in the city. This is a slap in the face to Torontonians because Ford is being petty and unreasonable. If he wants to boycott The Star and not do interviews with them that's his prerogative, but it's completely inappropriate to keep public notices from the largest paper in the city.

And he doesn't have to. No one is saying Rob Ford needs to go and be interviewed by The Star or support them in any way whatsoever. However, when the City of Toronto issues press releases, otherwise known as notices to the public, they shouldn't keep those notices from the largest newspaper in the city. This is a slap in the face to Torontonians because Ford is being petty and unreasonable. If he wants to boycott The Star and not do interviews with them that's his prerogative, but it's completely inappropriate to keep public notices from the largest paper in the city.

Even Sue Ann Levy, who was pretty much black balled by Chairman Miller said on the radio today that Ford should release these press releases.

Again if he's forced to do it by the integrity commissioner, I'm sure he will. He said on Oakley this morning that it's an issue of like 5 press releases and it's not like the Star doesn't have access to these reports. they're available to the public.

But God Damn The Star is being just as petty about how they cover him.

This is the pic they use today regarding the story

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/d2/a2/0503d2c84bdc86c8097f372e761f.jpg

Edited by Boges

He brings it on himself. Rob Ford is seriously lacking leadership skills.

Brings what on himself.

BTW this is what David Miller looked like when he was first elected.

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/36/f2/8e360c63414da1de7240878b2173.jpeg

I'm going to guess the star didn't publish unflattering pics of him.

Edited by Boges

Mayor Rob Ford to Toronto: Don’t read the Star

Quel surprise. But he has listeners after all and they can rebut in their widely circulated newspaper that everyone reads. Now he is starting to look like a big baby.

“If they don’t like me, fine. So why do you want to talk to me? If you’re gonna write, and twist stories, invent stories, the way they want to, that’s up to them. So I don’t want anything to do with it,” he said.

Ford continued: “The bottom line is, I won’t give them an interview. I do not want to talk to them. If they want to trash me, and do whatever they continue to do, that’s up to them, that’s their prerogative.”

And, of course the Star has posted a link to the original story that has Ford's bloomers all bunched up.

Ford has regularly said he will not budge until the Star makes a front-page apology for a 2010 article he says was false. The article said he was asked to stop coaching football at a North York high school in 2001 after a confrontation with a high school football player he coached.

The article, which Star editors stand by, cited the accounts of two witnesses who said the altercation was merely verbal and two who said Ford made aggressive physical contact with the player. Ford has maintained, as he was quoted as saying in the article, that he never touched the player, who later told another newspaper that Ford was correct.

Point is: why should the Star apologize? Newspapers report "allegations" all the time that are subsequently proven false without resorting to front page retractions or apologies. Why does his Lardship feel he is so special.

Cuz he's Rob Effin' Ford. :unsure:

I suspect he doesn't want to deal with them anyway so he's requesting something he knows they'll never do.