$1.4b per year in Cdn. taxpayer subsidies to Alberta oil sands

jacee

It's still not as profitable as oil, the wind energy is a way for the energy companies to soak the government

Right but the reason oil is so profitable is because prices are skyrocketing.

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/541045/667177.png

This is hardly a good thing for either the economy or consumers. Rising and volatile oil prices are already an impediment to global economic growth.

Meanwhile...

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/12-14/wind-power-cost.gif

The cost of wind energy is dropping as fast as the cost of oil is rising.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right but the reason oil is so profitable is because prices are skyrocketing.

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/541045/667177.png

This is hardly a good thing for either the economy or consumers. Rising and volatile oil prices are already an impediment to global economic growth.

Meanwhile...

http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/12-14/wind-power-cost.gif

The cost of wind energy is dropping as fast as the cost of oil is rising.

I was interested in popping up a turbine or two and wanted to see how that would pencil out. I attended a presentation at the u of s about it and that was the end of that idea. So much red tape, the roi was pitiful, I was better off to do nothing.

So you want others to provide "accurate statistics" because, as you freely admit, your opinion is based on "guessing?" :blink:

Let me try some "guessing:" that bucket of dumb you keep dipping into is bottomless right?

As I said, I don't have access to a computer right now. I'm posting from my phone. Pretty sure ny numbers are fairly accurate but I'm not about to start looking through statscan pages on my blackberry. Are you afraid to pull the statistics because you know I'm right? For the record I'm from ontario and I don't really care about the childish arguing about provinces, but I do care about pointing out the truth about ontario's "diversified" economy.

And why so mad bro? Calm down, no need to insult people who have different political beliefs than you. Not very tolerant are you?

Lots of energy companies ARE creating wind energy divisions, and the ammount of turbines built is increasing every year.
With the kind of get rich quick schemes available in Onatrio- paying wind power producers more or less guaranteed 15% to 18% ROI, they'd be nuts not to get involved.

But let's not lose track of who is actually paying the big ROI: ordinary consumers.

As I said, I don't have access to a computer right now. I'm posting from my phone. Pretty sure ny numbers are fairly accurate but I'm not about to start looking through statscan pages on my blackberry. Are you afraid to pull the statistics because you know I'm right? For the record I'm from ontario and I don't really care about the childish arguing about provinces, but I do care about pointing out the truth about ontario's "diversified" economy.

And why so mad bro? Calm down, no need to insult people who have different political beliefs than you. Not very tolerant are you?

I'm not mad at all, in fact I get a lot of chuckles out of your posts, because they tend to be absolutely ridiculous. Chill bro and when you get your computer back, you can do proper research to back up your absurd notions. No rush. :D

I'm not saying I didn't, pot shots get responded with pot shots in kind.

I think pot shots, rivalries and competition are all good things and can be fun. Heck, I'll have a kid living in Cowtown in a few months. (although I did say that she would have to start drinking heavily now to kill enough brain cells to be able to fit into the Calgary blue-blood society. She said she'd simply watch a few episodes of Dallas instead and learn enough to fake her way through.) :D

I think pot shots, rivalries and competition are all good things and can be fun. Heck, I'll have a kid living in Cowtown in a few months. (although I did say that she would have to start drinking heavily now to kill enough brain cells to be able to fit into the Calgary blue-blood society. She said she'd simply watch a few episodes of Dallas instead and learn enough to fake her way through.) :D

Get ready for culture shock, at least it isn't in Saskatchewan, that's one step further

If you like wasting wood when oil and gas is more efficient, then have at it. Do you know how that wood is cut, with oil and gas, and lots of it. Unless you have a team of Clydesdales and a giant bowsaw, that wood is cut with our best friend oil from Alberta.

You have fun splitting wood, I'll have fun with my geothermal that comes with free air conditioning.

No, at would be govern,net caving in to hippies is why wind power is popping up. If it was profitable, suncor have wind farms all over the place instead of throwing money at the oil sands.

Is 11 dollars more expensive than 3.58? That's what nat gas futures are, sounds cheap to me, especially with oil at 100 dollars.

I am quite certain you spend thousands less on oil and gas than I do, but my return on that will most likely destroy yours.

Oh and corn fed beef does taste the best, ask any patron at the keg, Moxies or earls.

I might be a dumb ass prairie boy, but I prefer to be a loaded dumb ass prairie boy.

Have fun being a hermit in the bush!

Atta boy! Geothermal :) Who is throwing money? Peter Makay :unsure: ? I love my husky saw! Got a freezer full of Mulie!Worked for the chains years ago, can't stand the food. Your palat will mature if you let it young man. Double check the suncor stuff, I have a feeling there fingers stretch into other energy. Gas will go up and down but mainly up and I don't need it... so you have atter. You're not dumb havn't you seen my spelling! I would by an electric truck if they'ed make it, good god you think I like buying gas! The price here is nuts!!!

I was interested in popping up a turbine or two and wanted to see how that would pencil out. I attended a presentation at the u of s about it and that was the end of that idea. So much red tape, the roi was pitiful, I was better off to do nothing.

Sooo, what kind of mill? How big? Use single home? Energy for sale??? Will the province arrest you if you make your own? I'd rather not have bills when I'm sixty five. Don't you live on the prarie? Hell fire up the solar panels and wind mills. Look up Altamont Pass in California, the cows graze under the mills. Health warning, used to love corn fed beef, but cows will drown in there own mucus on a corn diet without antibiotics. Sucks I know, but the bright side is all they really need is grass and some oats for the winter! Prarie beef! Not feedl lot! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Atta boy! Geothermal :) Who is throwing money? Peter Makay :unsure: ? I love my husky saw! Got a freezer full of Mulie!Worked for the chains years ago, can't stand the food. Your palat will mature if you let it young man. Double check the suncor stuff, I have a feeling there fingers stretch into other energy. Gas will go up and down but mainly up and I don't need it... so you have atter. You're not dumb havn't you seen my spelling! I would by an electric truck if they'ed make it, good god you think I like buying gas! The price here is nuts!!!

Natural Gas yesterday - $3.25 (three year low). Gas (fuel) 99.4 where I live. Wood - $7.95 for a small arm bundle.

Suncor and the rest of the big boys (Shell is the most blatant) promote their "green energies" programs because it's mandated by CAPP. Gotta show the "caring" side of the O&G business if you want government approvals on new production leases.

None of these companies make any "real" money on the alternative fuel markets - barely a drop in a very large bucket. But the better the program sounds, the more little hippies/BC/eastern bastards will fuel their Mazda 3's and Nissan Cube's at those stations. I love it when you see those mickey mouse "wind farms" in southern Alberta...people don't realize that those mark the land as "resources owned" property (and meanwhile we're drilling horizontally underneath with a big Precision Drilling or Nabors Drilling triple). Do you think they're drilling for wind?

(p.s. - how do you think they generate the electricity to power the little kiosk power centers for those morons with electric cars? Hint: either coal or natural gas)

Yeah, so we could find another way to kill off more fish as did BP

Here in Ontario,taxpayers have to subsidize windmills(bird-blenders)and solar panels,with little or no benefit at the end of the day.Actually,I stand corrected.At the end of the day,the people of Ontario will certainly get screwed big time.

At least the oil sands project pumps billions of dollars into the Canadian economy.

I think we should redirect the oil sands corporate welfare to building a lid for Alberta. Maybe then the oil barons will actually try to reduce their emissions. OR we could pipe it into their houses! :lol:

I think we could get much more creative with our corporate subsidies, to better effect than their current role of providing additional profit payouts to Harper's backers.

Hey look ... perhaps it's 'not fair' that the world has woken up to greenhouse gas emissions just when Alberta hits paydirt. Ontario's manufacturing sector didn't have those constraints in its heyday, and nobody cared much what was being shipped out of BC ports til now.

So, ya, I feel some sympathy for the oil boys having their moment stolen from them this way ... but that's reality.

Now if the oil barons stepped up to the plate and put money into new emissions technologies ... at least the taxpayer funds they get for that purpose ... they could yet be the 'white knights'.

The annual reports from my pension fund consistently reflect pressure from the membership to divest from oil sands stocks. The fund is reluctant and prefers to 'balance' those with more ethical investments, since oil is very profitable.

Maybe we need to ask why oil is so much more profitable than other industries: Is it perhaps because ...

- public subsidies pad their profits,

- lack of environmental controls reduces their costs,

- insufficient taxation - paying back to the country,

- all of the above

Yup ... all of the above.

There is no good reason for extreme profitability of oil extraction except ripping off the taxpayers.

-