Happy Thanksgiving

jbg

LOL! If the "main supporters" could deliver on big fat television contracts, then the Americans would play on Thanksgiving too.

Show me the money!

Canadian teams get wayyyy wayyy wayy more coverage than the American teams

You can't compare it to nfl or mlb..hundred million people watch those sports

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, lack of fans, I'd say most nhl team fan bases aren't more than 20 000

Then you have NYR, Boston, Chicago, Detroit that are 1 million +

St. Louis, San Jose, Los Angeles, new jersey, Minnesota, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington,

Americans like a winner. If the teams do well, they pack the stands, do you watch the NBA or MLB and notice how empty their stadiums are?

In short, no Americans, no money and no growth.

St. Louis, San Jose, Los Angeles, new jersey, Minnesota, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington,

Americans like a winner. If the teams do well, they pack the stands, do you watch the NBA or MLB and notice how empty their stadiums are?

In short, no Americans, no money and no growth.

St Louis and NJ are doing terrible right now at filling the stands

if no americans went to the games there'd still be a market in canada

Edited by olp1fan

Gate sales are about 50 per cent of league revenue. And you can thank the Canadian teams for that.

Gate sales make up a healthy chunk of a team's revenue. In 2008, the Oilers, in one of the smallest and oldest buildings in the league, were pulling in about $50M a year in ticket revenue. Even if you assume zero growth in ticket revenue, that's still a huge chunk of change for a team with a payroll of $64M in 2011-12. And that's not even accounting for all the new Nugent-Hopkins jerseys...

They obviously don't know you can't sell something to people who have no interest in buying the product. Americans as a general rule don't care about hockey unless, like Canadians, they grew up with it. They just aren't buying.

My link

My link

My link

My link

My link

Seems like the Americans are slowly buying in.

I'll give you gate revenue makes up a chunk of total revenues, however there are only two teams in the nhl that can make payroll solely on gate revenues, that means other methods have to be used such as corporate sponsorship, merchandise, and our best friend television. One thing, if hockey is so popular in canada, why are the tv stations so chincy about paying the nhl for TV rights, could it be that there aren't enough canadians in canada to watch hockey and give it big dollars to secure tv contracts. That is why we head down south, because that's where the growth is.

St Louis and NJ are doing terrible right now at filling the stands

if no americans went to the games there'd still be a market in canada

My link

My link

St. Louis is doing good, but new jersey haf good attendance when they were a perennial contender. Americans like a winner, that's how they roll. If you compare the two, you will see that the NHL sizes up nicely to the NBA in markets where they compete.

If here was no USA in the NHL we'd have a joke sports league just like the cfl. What do you prefer a joke league or something more prestigious? I'll go with prestige.

it wouldnt be like the CFL, Canadians don't care for football like they care for hockey

Of course they care about football, a good portion of the posters here are big football fans. Have you ever been to Saskatchewan, judging by our Hamilton area posters, Hamilton?

Here another one, why does ctv show NFL games every week while the cfl has to be propped up by tsn? Seems enough Canadians care about football to have the flagship of the bell media empire cover every week of the NFL regular season.

Of course they care about football, a good portion of the posters here are big football fans. Have you ever been to Saskatchewan, judging by our Hamilton area posters, Hamilton?

Here another one, why does ctv show NFL games every week while the cfl has to be propped up by tsn? Seems enough Canadians care about football to have the flagship of the bell media empire cover every week of the NFL regular season.

they like real football, you know cfl is a bit different than the nhl

Seems like the Americans are slowly buying in.

Slowly is an understatement :lol: . Funny how that doesbn't really translate to good news for the sun belt team's attendance.

I'll give you gate revenue makes up a chunk of total revenues, however there are only two teams in the nhl that can make payroll solely on gate revenues, that means other methods have to be used such as corporate sponsorship, merchandise, and our best friend television.

Sorry, but that's a pretty meaningless metric. There's probably not many teams in any pro sport that can make payroll on gate alone.

One thing, if hockey is so popular in canada, why are the tv stations so chincy about paying the nhl for TV rights, could it be that there aren't enough canadians in canada to watch hockey and give it big dollars to secure tv contracts.

Define chincy?

St. Louis is doing good, but new jersey haf good attendance when they were a perennial contender. Americans like a winner, that's how they roll. If you compare the two, you will see that the NHL sizes up nicely to the NBA in markets where they compete.

So American don't like hockey; they just like sports where their team wins.

If here was no USA in the NHL we'd have a joke sports league just like the cfl. What do you prefer a joke league or something more prestigious? I'll go with prestige.

Yeah, having the league prop up franchises in Dallas and Phoenix, the thousands of empty seats in sun belt cities and Columbus all make the league look real prestigious.

Slowly is an understatement :lol: . Funny how that doesbn't really translate to good news for the sun belt team's attendance.

Sorry, but that's a pretty meaningless metric. There's probably not many teams in any pro sport that can make payroll on gate alone.

Define chincy?

So American don't like hockey; they just like sports where their team wins.

Yeah, having the league prop up franchises in Dallas and Phoenix, the thousands of empty seats in sun belt cities and Columbus all make the league look real prestigious.

When the sun belt teams win, people go watch, especially in the playoffs. The same thing happens with the NBA. The attendance is almost identical. It takes time to grow a market, and the market is growing. Remember the bog is made up of obscenely rich people, and they know how to make money even though it means slogging it through the beginning.

You guys like to use gate revenue as the be all and end all, it's important, but there's more to revenues than that.

My link

My link

NBC/versus is dropping approx 200 million per year while bell globe media is dropping 200 million over 6 years. Sounds chincy to me! And we will never know the CBC deal, but given that 200 million per year would be about 10 percent of their entire budget, I doubt it.

That would be correct. If the team doesn't win, the fans don't show.

More prestigious than being stuck in Canada with broadcasters not shelling out the cash and owners not being able to shell out the big

salaries/marketing. Do you want cfl part 2? The owners hired Bettman with the specific goal of expanding the USA market to make the sport better. And then there was the nineties when the economy in Canada was sour and half the teams were threatening to move, the Canadian teams didn't sell out all their games, could it be a bad economy hurts attendance? Oh and what about the NBA, how many teams are being propped up there with a lot of their venues with thousands of empty seats?

Edited by blueblood

When the sun belt teams win, people go watch, especially in the playoffs. The same thing happens with the NBA. The attendance is almost identical. It takes time to grow a market, and the market is growing. Remember the bog is made up of obscenely rich people, and they know how to make money even though it means slogging it through the beginning.

Every team that has ever gone bankrupt was at one point run by a successful businessman.

You guys like to use gate revenue as the be all and end all, it's important, but there's more to revenues than that.

It's not the be all and end all, but gate revenue is the single largest chunk of the NHL pie. It's why Phoenix is failing, why Atlanta failed and why the sunbelt teams are struggling financially.

My link

My link

NBC/versus is dropping approx 200 million per year while bell globe media is dropping 200 million over 6 years. Sounds chincy to me! And we will never know the CBC deal, but given that 200 million per year would be about 10 percent of their entire budget, I doubt it.

Of course, you omit the fact that all the Canadian teams have individual deals with local/regional broadcasters.

The key difference between Canada and U.S. markets is Canadians show up, win or lose.

More prestigious than being stuck in Canada with broadcasters not shelling out the cash and owners not being able to shell out the big salaries/marketing. Do you want cfl part 2?

That's a pretty bogus false choice.

The owners hired Bettman with the specific goal of expanding the USA market to make the sport better. And then there was the nineties when the economy in Canada was sour and half the teams were threatening to move, the Canadian teams didn't sell out all their games, could it be a bad economy hurts attendance? Oh and what about the NBA, how many teams are being propped up there with a lot of their venues with thousands of empty seats?

You tell me.

I've watched hockey on NBC and the coverage is crap compared to CBC, TSN...bit better than Sportsnet

NBC can dish out 200 million..its freaking NBC! Its the giant in the U.S!

I think we can all agree that in the NHL playoffs CBC gives the best coverage of any sport / channel

They make the best montages of any channel

Edited by olp1fan

I've watched hockey on NBC and the coverage is crap compared to CBC, TSN...bit better than Sportsnet

NBC can dish out 200 million..its freaking NBC! Its the giant in the U.S!

I think we can all agree that in the NHL playoffs CBC gives the best coverage of any sport / channel

They make the best montages of any channel

I doubt Versus or NBC would do this

Thread renamed to reflect reality.

what the fuck is up with that? It seems like the Americans who run the NHL don't respect their main supporters

it pisses me off

Actually its quite the opposite!

Their main supporters are main supporters of Football and the NFL . The exec at the NHL know the ratings would be down for the many T-giving games that air.

So, dont schedule against a ratings winner.

As someone opined in this thread, show me the money !

It may piss you off, but if you occupoed the NHL chair, you would make the same damn call next year.

Actually its quite the opposite!

Their main supporters are main supporters of Football and the NFL . The exec at the NHL know the ratings would be down for the many T-giving games that air.

So, dont schedule against a ratings winner.

As someone opined in this thread, show me the money !

It may piss you off, but if you occupoed the NHL chair, you would make the same damn call next year.

Can you prove that NHL fans are the same NFL fans?