Environment Minister can't answer what Ozone is

olp1fan

Ultimately it really doesn't matter what you and I think.

You will continue on the right and I the left.

However,there is always a large percentage of the population always bouncing between,how will this affect their vote?

You don't sincerely believe you are going to convince me otherwise are you?

WWWTT

I think it will affect the public's vote the same way the contempt of parliament charge did.

The public will once again see one party trying to get things done and the other parties playing politics.

Edited by CPCFTW

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will affect the public's vote the same way the contempt of parliament charge did.

The public will once again see one party trying to get things done and the other parties playing politics.

You could be right,but I believe the opposition is looking for weakness,if not here then somewhere else.

WWWTT

I don't think it is reasonable to expect a minister to know the molecular composition of every substance that effects the environment unless you make it mandatory that a minister have some sort of degree in chemistry. It is reasonable to expect them have a rudimentary knowledge in what way the more important ones have an effect on it.

The thing is, he wouldn't have even needed to say that it's O[3], nor am I sure that was anyone's expectation, necessarily. He could have just said that ozone is a gas that forms a layer in the Earth's atmosphere that protects us from harmful UV rays (which would demonstrate "a rudimentary knowledge in what way the more important [substances] have an effect on [the environment]"). He could have added that it can be a pollutant at low altitudes.

Having said that, I'll freely admit that if someone asks me a question out of left field, I don't always answer, if only out of surprise, especially if I don't trust their motivations for asking, and especially if I think they're being condescending. So I can't blame Kent too much.

Edited by Evening Star

Michael, I think you've jumped in without reading the posts from the start. I think I have been more than obvious that Kent is NOT my hero! I have agreed that he is an idiot, more than once. What more do you want?

My issue with Olp1fan, as I clearly stated in an earlier post, is that he ONLY targets Tories! Even if he has to stretch a trivial issue, which is virtually all the time. I maintain that politicians of ALL parties tend to lack even a basic scientific education! However, since they are expected to be managers and not actual technicians it doesn't really matter.

I also take exception to Olp1fan slagging a politician for his poor knowledge of basic science when he himself has never shown any such knowledge! He seems to expect it only of Tories, not members of any Opposition party or even himself.

I suggest you read the whole thread Michael and then decide if your admonishment is appropriate.

you think im stretching this? this story doesnt need to be stretched its already bad enough

and big deal if i post a lot of negative con stories.. I hate what they've done to Canada

they are the government right now so they get the attention

and why should I post in the science section? I'm not the one getting paid 6 digits for having to know

simple things about the environment

you think im stretching this? this story doesnt need to be stretched its already bad enough

and big deal if i post a lot of negative con stories.. I hate what they've done to Canada

they are the government right now so they get the attention

and why should I post in the science section? I'm not the one getting paid 6 digits for having to know

simple things about the environment

Raise your hand if you aren't insane and the cons have negatively affected your personal life...

Let's go back in time, when O'Connor was the minister of defense and when asked about the torturing of Afghans and everyday when asked he stand up deny it was happening or happened and said the Red Cross was checking on the prisoners. Turned out the Red Cross said he's wrong they have been checking and than they said well since then we've had to make some changes, without really coming and admit they were wrong. Then Harper tossed him out and replaced him with McKay. SO here's another guy, who was in the military, but it seemed he just said what the PMO wanted him to say or he really didn't know what was happening and not really caring.

What a fool.

Read a frickin book on shit you are supposed to know as Environment Minister Mr. Kent.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding Canadian politics.

In the U.S. Cabinet ministers are expected to be experts on their portfolio subjects. In Canada Cabinet ministers are senior members of Parliament who are selected for Cabinet as much based upon regionality and seniority as expertise. They are expected to learn their area, but not know it on taking office.

Am I right?

Well, yes and no. Cabinet ministers, in general, are department managers. Managing a department isn't really about the specifics of the said department (unless you're someone like the MND or in Foreign Affairs, you become a public face). Managing one department is very much like managing another department...you just switch the words out.

Well, yes and no. Cabinet ministers, in general, are department managers. Managing a department isn't really about the specifics of the said department (unless you're someone like the MND or in Foreign Affairs, you become a public face). Managing one department is very much like managing another department...you just switch the words out.

Thanks.

I'm not Canadian and know little about Canada so that helps.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding Canadian politics.

In the U.S. Cabinet ministers are expected to be experts on their portfolio subjects. In Canada Cabinet ministers are senior members of Parliament who are selected for Cabinet as much based upon regionality and seniority as expertise. They are expected to learn their area, but not know it on taking office.

Am I right?

In the US. Cabinet ministers are not elected so they can be hired specifically because of their expertise. Not so in Canada. Although it is not mandatory and there have been some exceptions, realistically a Canadian PM only has their own party MP's to chose from. As smallc has said, theirs is a management role, not technical. "Learning their area" is a very relative term when it comes to a Canadian minister. Guess it depends on how much you expect from a layman.

That said, when we compare Canadian and US cabinet ministers, I don't think overall Canadians have done too badly.

I think its sad that you think that

way to set the bar low man

Let me explain. I admire Canada greatly. I did not say our system with regards to a Cabinet is better, only different. I have no view as to which is better. If pressed I'd probably say "it depends".

• 2 weeks later...

I love the people defending the Minister's stunning ignorance. We're talking 4th grade science here. This is Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader worthy. People that don't even follow environmental issues know that ozone is O3 and contributes to smog. This has been common environmental knowledge since at least the 70s.

• 2 weeks later...