News section in the forum.

I think at the top of the forum, above the Canadian Politics section, there should be a News section. In this area we post political or economic news.

Look at my topic 'EU crisis deal' in the economics section, http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showforum=27

I think that should be the posting format in the news section. It lists the source of where the news came from in the thread title, it quotes only the important part of the article, and it has the source at the bottom for people to read on.

I go on other forums that have a similar news section, I often just go to those forums for the news section. I think adding that kind of section here would be a good way to attract more people to this forum. I also think adding a news section would bring better organization to the forum, right now news articles are scattered around the forum.

Thoughts anyone?

I do not like that idea. It creates too much clutter.

The news source is largely irrelevent in the title. There are probably many other sources announcing the same news.

I hate seeing discussion forums turn into a mad race just to re-post current events.

The news source is largely irrelevent in the title. There are probably many other sources announcing the same news.

I hate seeing discussion forums turn into a mad race just to re-post current events.

Look at this forum, www.overclock.net

This forum is the 100th largest forums in the world. You can't talk politics in it so I use this forum. Their news section works flawlessly, no clutter. As long as people follow the rules and there are good moderators, then it can be a very useful asset to this forum in attracting more people to this forum. Lots of people like a one stop shop to get their news.

I like having the source in the title, it let's me know what the source is before I click the link.

Edited by maple_leafs182

I tend to agree.

I took a quick glance at that overclock forum. It has over 2000 users online at any given moment. In its case, it makes sense to have a special "Latest News" category separate from categories for general discussions. Moreover, the "Latest News" seems to be largely about a new product available.

In our case, we typically have no more than about 10-20 active posters on at any time. I get my latest news from Google and several other news aggregators and bloggers.

If we were to have a "Latest News" category, it would quickly dominate all other categories and make it pointless to have them.

----

IMV, this forum has never aimed to become the biggest/most popular. Instead, it's primarily a place where people from the wide gamut of opinion in English Canada can discuss politics.

Just to be clear to all of the members here, I do not make the final decisions on such matters here in the forum. Greg does. I am just stating my opinion. I do not want my response here to shut down this proposal. Change here in the forum is certainly possible. Everybody should feel free to discuss the pros and cons.

In our case, we typically have no more than about 10-20 active posters on at any time. I get my latest news from Google and several other news aggregators and bloggers.

If we were to have a "Latest News" category, it would quickly dominate all other categories and make it pointless to have them.

----

IMV, this forum has never aimed to become the biggest/most popular. Instead, it's primarily a place where people from the wide gamut of opinion in English Canada can discuss politics.

It wouldn't make the other categories pointless, people don't only discuss news in them. I do think it would see the most traffic, I see that as a good thing. People should want to know and talk about the latest news.

A lot of us use different sites to get our news, I think if we collected all that news and built up a good, organized database of all of it, that would make it easier for us to better informed on what is going on around the world.

It's certainly would be a good idea if we didn't discuss current news in their respective forums. I mean, the entire board is based on current political news. If you want to post a news item, it's best just to post it in the right forum where people can discuss it. Otherwise, the news aggregate forum will just take over and everyone will just discuss the topics there.

It's certainly would be a good idea if we didn't discuss current news in their respective forums. I mean, the entire board is based on current political news. If you want to post a news item, it's best just to post it in the right forum where people can discuss it. Otherwise, the news aggregate forum will just take over and everyone will just discuss the topics there.

I don't see the problem there.

How about just testing it out for a week or two to see if we like it.

I mean, the entire board is based on current political news. If you want to post a news item, it's best just to post it in the right forum where people can discuss it. Otherwise, the news aggregate forum will just take over and everyone will just discuss the topics there.
Well said, and I agree.
Maple Leaf, this is not a forum to discuss technical stuff.

IMV, this is a bar/pub where English-Canadians drop in and talk politics.

Edited by August1991

I don't see the problem there.

I don't make the decisions around here, but consider that we already have something to this effect.

On the main forum page there's a ticker at the top that shows the most recently created topics. Given that this is a forum to discuss the latest political news, doesn't that already accomplish what you're suggesting?