Klein

Like Klien or not. He did what he said he would do and that was to slay the deficit and then the debt. Not many politicians do what they say. And if you want to argue that he did it on the backs of the poor. BS. I "was" the poor. No longer. And I am a liberal born and raised in Alberta. You might not like him but, you should at least respect him. I do.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who hold the responsibility for paying the meatpackers with taxpayers money over the BSE. They made huge profits buying cheap and selling high; they didn't require subsidizing by taxpayers. That money should have been given to the smaller family farmer.

Who made the decision; Harper or the federal government (Chretien or Martin?)

That money should have been given to the smaller family farmer.

Who made the decision; Harper or the federal government (Chretien or Martin?)

What a mess! Really, the taxpayer subsidized larger corporations and the little guy lost once again. Money meant for farmers (many Westerners) went to US corps. Once again, so much for the free market 'cause apparently nothing illegal took place. Wow...what a surprise.

Klein said yesterday that he is going to remove health care premiums for seniors. Too bad he could/would not have done so for everyone. An election is coming.

The drinking issue. Though I am not a Klein fan, at least he admitted to having a drinking problem and that he was going to work on it. To my knowledge, he never lied about it or made excuses for his poor behaviour. He looked sincere and rather rough. The result is that Albertans are willing to forgive him. This is more than I can say for that sack of @! Campbell who blatantly lied (made excuses) about how much he drank and instantly switched back and forth from uncontrolled crying to rigid and disciplined composure. :rolleyes:

This is more than I can say for that sack of @! Campbell who blatantly lied (made excuses) about how much he drank and instantly switched back and forth from uncontrolled crying to rigid and disciplined composure.

Mr. Campbell quit drinking after the DUI.

But the bottom line is, Klien did what he said he would do. Mike Harris followed in his footsteps

The real bottom line is that Klein was only able to do what he did (with respect to the debt) because high oil prices allowed him to funnel surplus money into debt-relief.

You'll notice that the Klein approach has been a failure in other provinces (BC, Ont.) becuase they don't have the revenue.

You'll notice that the Klein approach has been a failure in other provinces (BC, Ont.) becuase they don't have the revenue.

Were is your proof? This took Klien 10 years with oil revenues.

In BC we have a real balanced budget and the fastest growing economy in Canada. The BCLiberals have been in power for 3 years. In 4 more years we can see the real impacts.

In BC we have a real balanced budget and the fastest growing economy in Canada. The BCLiberals have been in power for 3 years. In 4 more years we can see the real impacts.

Alberta still has the fastest growing economy in terms of GDP growth.

Also, note that the Liberals probably won't be in power in four years. Gordo's gang is plummeting fast due to the unpopularity of service and tax cuts, which haven't delivered as promised.

Mr. Campbell quit drinking after the DUI.

The point is that he blatantly lied about his behaviour. Nobody has that level of alcohol in their system after supposedly drinking so little...c'mon. At least Klein was smart enough to come clean. One reporter asked Campbell (about the DUI incident) whether he had done this in the past. He said, to his knowledge, this has never happened before. Then, the reporter said, so the only time you have ever done this you just happened to get caught? Wow...what bad luck.

I can accept a person doing something improper. But I cannot handle a person trying to treat everyone like idiots by obviously lying about it. How can anyone have faith in this gov't? But I guess we are just talking about past tense here anyways 'cuz he is a goner and rightfully so.

The point is mute.

You don't like him and will find many things about him that bother you.

The election will tell if he gets 4 more years and not you.

I like this government because they are in fact doing what they said they would do.

I just wish they could do it faster.

The point is mute.

You don't like him and will find many things about him that bother you.

The election will tell if he gets 4 more years and not you.

I like this government because they are in fact doing what they said they would do.

I just wish they could do it faster.

Obviously, the Tories will take the next election. They've been in power for 35 years. Albertans aren't like BC, they seem to have a child-like faith that their government will do what's right.

It has nothing to do with policy.

Also, the simple economics of party politics means there's no viable opposition in Alberta.

And it's a moot point. Sorry, but that's a pet peeve. :D

When Klien was cutting into social servies, the deep he cut, the higher his popularity rose. 

Proving, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Albertans are, by and large, morons.

How dare you call Albertans morons. How dare you call anyone morons. Klien did what needed to be done. There was a spending problem under the Getty government, and Klien helped Alberta into a new age of opporunity and adventure.

Proving, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Albertans are, by and large, morons.

OUCH. Never voted for him, but I would rather have Klein than Campbell. In fact, I would rather have Parizeau than Campbell.

There was a spending problem under the Getty government, and Klien helped Alberta into a new age of opporunity and adventure.

Remember when Getty said he was gonna pave every secondary road in the Province?!?!?! WTF?

i really don't know why the rest of Canada seems to complain about Klien. If you don't live here, what do you have to worry about, he is not runnin your province. It's jealousy and envy, Alberta starts to flex it's muscle and the rest of Canada has a fit.

Oh, yeah, and Black Dog ignorance will not get you very far. You can criticize Alberta and it's gov't all you want but when you start slingin mud at Albertans, who are fellow Canadians, that is just ignorant. How American of you. ;)

Quick story Caesar. A few years ago, Campbell sent out a really slick letter to our Mayor (I have since moved from this community). Basically, this personally signed letter stated that "it was really nice to see you at the economic conference" and "I was very impressed at the way you lobbied for your community" etc. etc. In fact, the town was so impressed by this letter, that it appeared in full in the local town newspaper.

One little glitch though. This mayor was not at the conference because HE WAS DEAD!!!!

BC Liberals should make their leaders pass an IQ test. The first question should be "spell potato".

How dare you call Albertans morons. How dare you call anyone morons. Klien did what needed to be done. There was a spending problem under the Getty government, and Klien helped Alberta into a new age of opporunity and adventure.

Public spending on social programs in Alberta had been declining for several years and was even below the Canadian average when the Klein government came to power in 1992. The idea that public spending was out of control during the Getty years is a perfect example of a lie repeated so much that it becomes the truth.

i really don't know why the rest of Canada seems to complain about Klien. If you don't live here, what do you have to worry about, he is not runnin your province. It's jealousy and envy, Alberta starts to flex it's muscle and the rest of Canada has a fit.

Klein's policies have been exported to Ontario and BC with, at best, limited success and caused a great deal of misery. So as much as you'd just like to think the rest of the country just hates you because you're beautiful, stop and think about wy people, having seen the failure of the common sense revolution, would be a trifle hestitant to lionize Mr. Klein.

Oh, yeah, and Black Dog ignorance will not get you very far. You can criticize Alberta and it's gov't all you want but when you start slingin mud at Albertans, who are fellow Canadians, that is just ignorant

As a born'n'bred Albertan, my opinion that Albertans are morons is actually quite well-informed, having been culled from a lifetime of experience among the citizens of this province. :P

Black Dog, you won't get any support from Albertans if you run for prime minister. ANd we will get those comments out to the public.

Yeah, but I'd sweep eastern Canada. :D

It worked for Trudeau :lol:

When my dad went to BC in 1998 to work on a short term contract, I went with him for a few weeks. While I was there, a lady from "Welcome Wagon!" came by to drop of a package. It was mostly junk mail, but one thing I remember (because dad got such a kick out of it) was a Message From The Premier. (I think this was Glen Clark.)

"Welcome to BC," he exclaimed, "the province that provides access to health care for all!" This was at a time when the news was full of stories of beds being closed and understaffing due to acute lack of money.

Maybe Klein went too far in one direction, but I think there has to be some kind of happy medium between providing spartan service vs promising the moon and failing to deliver because you can't afford it.

-kimmy

I think there has to be some kind of happy medium between providing spartan service vs promising the moon and failing to deliver because you can't afford it.

True enough. During the '90's all the provinces had to cut back services b/c of reduced federal contributions. In return, the provinces were allowed more discretion in how they spent these funds. I think that they are both to blame.

My concern is that BC is still cutting and closing beds while the economy is growing. Caesar's story and as I have posted earlier, the fact that my father has to leave home to go to a place where there actually exists a medical facility, is wrong. The area I am talking about contributes substantially in tax dollars (b/c of heavy industry) to the BC gov't.