OCCUPY

WWWTT

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part of students are not part of the labour force is too hard for you to understand?

Quit while you are behind....anybody 16 years or older can be part of the "labour force" with just one hour's paid work or uncompensated family business employment. Stop embarrassing yourself as another wannabee on US labor stats. Sheesh....

Quit while you are behind....anybody 16 years or older can be part of the "labour force" with just one hour's paid work or uncompensated family business employment. Stop embarrassing yourself as another wannabee on US labor stats. Sheesh....

Why do you always derail things like this? Quit arguing ridiculous minutiae. If we rewind before you got off track about this nonsense, the point had been about students focusing on their studies instead of hunting for jobs. In this way, they're expected to be outside the workforce. This is basic stuff. The BLS even lists them specifically as not part of the labour force.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/lfcharacteristics.htm

Persons who are neither employed nor unemployed are not in the labor force. This category includes retired persons, students, those taking care of children or other family members, and others who are neither working nor seeking work.

Why do you always derail things like this?

Because I love rubbing wannabee noses in their presumptuous mistakes about what happens across the border.

Quit arguing ridiculous minutiae. If we rewind before you got off track about this nonsense, the point had been about students focusing on their studies instead of hunting for jobs.

Nonsense...some of the best students are focused and motivated enough to do both...well. What a bunch of candy asses.

In this way, they're expected to be outside the workforce. This is basic stuff. The BLS even lists them specifically as not part of the labour force.

But they don't have to be....at least your getting smart and reading Yankee web sites instead of making things up.

What are you even arguing? It has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion here. Stop clutting up the forum with your ridiculous trolling.

I'm just playing the game....some rube here invoked US unemployment figures (as usual) and the party was on. You don't like being called out on it.

Yes. Everyone knows that people should work hard. But our economy runs inside a framework that has a given set of rules, and it rewards certain activity. And the rules and the activity it rewards have changed and people dont like it. This economy treats labor with contempt and rewards investment more than ever before, and it taxes labor more than investment as well.

You can make your little speech when unemployment is at 4% or unemployment is at 8% or unemployment is at 15%. "Just go get jobs!!! Work harder!!!". But the difference between an economy where people have jobs, and one where people dont have jobs is not that suddenly everyone got lazy. Its usually that the macro economic conditions changed.

Canada's unemployment rate was at a low of around 6% in 2007. Now it is around 7.3% (which is much lower than it has traditionally been anyways).

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/canada/unemployment-rate

"Just go get jobs!!!" is a valid response to the occupiers in Canada... not so much in the USA.

In the USA, a valid response would be "just go look for jobs or make your own!!"

These protesters would be much better off sending out resumes, interviewing, cold-calling or walking in on employers, or spending their time starting an online business than trying to change an economic system that isn't broken and that won't be changed due to some camping, slogan chanting, and light drug use.

Edited by CPCFTW

...In the USA, a valid response would be "just go look for jobs or make your own!!"

Depends on where one lives in the USA...lots of jobs for qualified candidates, not losers:

Unemployment Rates for States
Monthly Rankings
Seasonally Adjusted

Sept. 2011

Rank	State	        Rate
1 	NORTH DAKOTA 	3.5
2 	NEBRASKA 	4.2
3 	SOUTH DAKOTA 	4.6
4 	NEW HAMPSHIRE 	5.4
5 	VERMONT 	5.8

These protesters would be much better off sending out resumes, interviewing, cold-calling or walking in on employers, or spending their time starting an online business than trying to change an economic system that isn't broken and that won't be changed due to some camping, slogan chanting, and light drug use.

Yep....they could also volunteer or get internships for little or no pay. But gee...that would be work!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

This is stupid. You guys do realize that most of the people protesting are either employed or not part of the labor force, right?

But not all of them....if not part of the labor force, then they haven't lost anything, right?! They can flunk their courses and still have to pay off the student loans. Not the brightest bunch....

So, BC, you're happy that your Congress is sold to the highest bidder? You're happy that the top 1% calls all the shots and continues stacking the deck in their favour? Not that I blame them for doing so. Why wouldn't they if they're able to? Yet, you condemn those for pointing out the injustice in this. You support this imbalance of power? This tyranny of the financial elite?

This is stupid. You guys do realize that most of the people protesting are either employed or not part of the labor force, right?

You do realize that there are more productive things to do as a worker or student than blocking traffic and wasting taxpayer money on bureaucrats and courts deciding how to evict these communists/anarchists, right?

Edited by CPCFTW

So, BC, you're happy that your Congress is sold to the highest bidder?

Yes...money is the ultimate form of American style democracy. Money talks...bullshit walks.

You're happy that the top 1% calls all the shots and continues stacking the deck in their favour?

Yes...I never got a job from a poor man or welfare bum. I am delighted with my lowly 99% lifestyle and "wealth".

Not that I blame them for doing so. Why wouldn't they if they're able to? Yet, you condemn those for pointing out the injustice in this. You support this imbalance of power? This tyranny of the financial elite?

Yes...my country's constitution expressly prohibits tyranny by the majority / mob. I don't care what you do with yours.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

You do realize that there are more productive things to do as a worker or student than blocking traffic and wasting taxpayer money on bureaucrats and courts deciding how to evict these communists/anarchists, right?

That's why the campus cop pepper sprayed 'em at UC Davis. It was worth the suspension! ;)

So, BC, you're happy that your Congress is sold to the highest bidder? You're happy that the top 1% calls all the shots and continues stacking the deck in their favour? Not that I blame them for doing so. Why wouldn't they if they're able to? Yet, you condemn those for pointing out the injustice in this. You support this imbalance of power? This tyranny of the financial elite?

There's no tyranny of the financial elite, its a tyranny of a bloated govt. I'm 1% and i am certainly not calling any shots. What injustice is there, some people are more talented than others?

This might be a little simplistic, but what I think what it all boils down to is that people hate authority.

The left wing hates "pigs" policing them, and corporations/managers/CEOs "exploiting" their labour. That's essentially what these protests are about (inequality of wealth arising from that "exploitation").

The right wing hates governments taking their money and spending it on things they don't want or need.

But what the left wing doesn't realize is that the right wing also hates the authority the left hates. Do you think people on the right like their bosses or police telling them what to do? Hell no. Everyone wants to be the boss, or be their own boss. I work and save so that I can one day either be the boss of my company, or start my own company.

The solution for the left seems to be acceptance of government authority as long as the government's goal is fairness and equality for all. For the left, this at least eliminates the exploitation of labour authority.

The solution for the right is that money can buy freedom from authority.

You save money and you can buy a home (no landlord).

You save more money and you can start your own company (no boss).

You save more money and you can avoid taxes/laws by becoming an "international" resident and hiring the best lawyers/accountants.

Personally, I dislike the cops when they pull me over for a ticket, or tell me not to jaywalk. But I tolerate the cops because they protect my right to acquire that money to free myself from authority. I dislike my boss because he tells me what to do and I have to ask his permission to leave work for personal errands. But I tolerate him because he has the power to fire/promote me.

IMO the left takes a strange approach to this universal problem. I choose the freedom to escape authority than acceptance of a "fair" government authority.

Edited by CPCFTW

...But what the left wing doesn't realize is that the right wing also hates the authority the left hates. Do you think people on the right like their bosses or police telling them what to do? Hell no. Everyone wants to be the boss, or be their own boss. I work and save so that I can one day either be the boss of my company, or start my own company.

But this breaks down along generational lines...boomers are far more tolerant of authority and hierarchy. Gen X, Y and Millennials don't respect authority nearly as much, and have lived lives of relative plenty. They lack the coping skills for living with less. They don't know how to be poor.

But this breaks down along generational lines...boomers are far more tolerant of authority and hierarchy. Gen X, Y and Millennials don't respect authority nearly as much, and have lived lives of relative plenty. They lack the coping skills for living with less. They don't know how to be poor.

I'm gen x, and I live in an area with extreme wealth disparity. Nothing motivates someone like seeing the consequences of failure firsthand. I'd say it's city folk who lack the coping skills because they live more sheltered lives.

It's not just boomers, it's people who see the forest for the trees that are tolerant of hierarchy. Everyone answers to somebody...

Edited by blueblood

I'm gen x, and I live in an area with extreme wealth disparity. Nothing motivates someone like seeing the consequences of failure firsthand. I'd say it's city folk who lack the coping skills because they live more sheltered lives.

The ag sector has it's share of elites, survivors from the 80's who now run huge corporate farms. Small family operations like dairy are getting squeezed out. I watched a show the other night wherein farmers had even forgotten canning, but could learn on the internet! ;)