Corn Grown In Gormely Ontario imported back?

I grew up around the old now non-existant town of Gormely ..I know the farm land around the area well. Things grow well in that area - what is left of it and not subdivided. Twice now my wife has mentioned she bought corn...and on the label it clearly stated "Produce of America" - Yet when you take a close look at the fine print, it also states "Grown in Gormely Ontario"..

So what's going on here - DO the Americans consider the Province Of Ontario a new state of the union? Or - are we sending our corn to the states and they are selling it back to us. Oil companies have taken over our food supply? Do they truck the stuff down to the states - (fuel costs) - then truck the stuff back (more fuel costs) - Then have us pay for the transport? I would really like to know - if I am correct - who the hell came up with this - If Gormely is twenty minutes north of Toronto - would it not be sane - to simply ship it down the DVP and put it in the store? Weird!

Sounds like a great story for the Toronto Star Oleg - why not email them with it ?

Better yet, take it to a Tory MP, like Tony Clement. He and Harper's government have been strong on truth in product labeling and have been responsible for many new laws forcing what info appears on the side of your can of beans or package of corn. They think it's important to let people know where their food comes from, in order to make an informed choice.

Oleg, why not buy from your local market, where you know they are growing it beside all the other vegetables and fruits. Do you have one in your area. In the summer,I never buy vegetables and fruit from the grocery stories. Sweet corn starts to lose its sweetness 24 hours after its picked so the local markets are better choice, IF its grown in your area.

Oleg, why not buy from your local market, where you know they are growing it beside all the other vegetables and fruits.

Many of those places just set up a stand and import produce... My dad's friend used to do it and make good cash. People pay a premium at the farmers market and getting a cute teen girl to work the stand only costs minimum wage.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

This is still double hear say - so I am not one hundred percent sure - but I suspect the wife knows what she is talking about..If it is true - then as I mentioned - Oil companies who control fertilizer world wide have a greater hold on the control of our food supply than at first believed. If it is a fact that there is local food grown only 20 kilometers from me...I should be able to have that food without paying for the fuel to ship it out of the country and then back again...I will ask the wife to save the labels so I can have a look at them...The reason I am so passionate about this is because as a kid I could hope on my bike and go to that very field and grab a peice of corn...the only transport cost would be a bit of human energy spent on peddling the bike.