New NDP MPs

You will see what she does in her job soon.

If she shows up.

Brosseau, 27, a single mother and bartender, was a placeholder candidate for the New Democrats in the heavily francophone riding of Berthier-Maskinonge, northeast of Montreal.

It's more than 300 kilometres from her Ottawa home base and numerous accounts suggest she never stepped foot in the riding during the election race.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/04/ndps-vegas-under-fire

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will have to wait and see. The voters are the ones who put her their.

She's more to be pitied than laughed at. Another poor sap duped into runninng for the NDP. Let her sit in the House for a while. Under the circumstances she deserves the money.

But all taxpayers will be paying her salary.

That is true of all MPs. I wouldn't vote for Harper, I don't argue he doesn't have a right to be there. His voters thought him the best, thus he gets to go to work. The voters aren't wrong. They knew who she was they sent her to Ottawa deal with it.

I wonder if every morning she wakes up, she is saying "please, tell me it's just a nightmare and I'm not elected... damn! I do not want to leave the bed!" B)

The people of Bethier voted for her, then too bad. She's there to stay. She didn't expect it to happen and she panicks? Too bad for you too lady. Do your job now.

Amazing...

wonder if every morning she wakes up, she is saying "please, tell me it's just a nightmare and I'm not elected... damn! I do not want to leave the bed!"

??? Are you nuts. She is going to make at least $157k per year, get absolutely amazing benefits and perks, and doesn't have to get out of bed ecept when she feels like it. Attendance is optional,and she doesn't have to do a thing when she does drift in to 'work'. Plus she'll make at least four times what she did slinging beer to pimply teens.

She cannot get fired, Jacques Layton can't afford the press.

Dream job indeed, no nightmare here.

If you can read French, this article is damning.

Two of the new NDP MPs in Quebec were finally questioned by local press about local issues. In fact, they were trick questions in that neither issues were real. In one case, it was about a highway under construction south of Montreal when the riding is north of Montreal. The other question conscerned the return of scheduled flights to Mirabel. In both cases, the NDP MPs showed their ignorance and tried to answer the questions.

Les deux nouvelles députées néo-démocrates de Rivière-des-Mille-îles et d’Argenteuil-Papineau-Mirabel ne connaissent apparemment pas les enjeux locaux. Lors d’une entrevue avec l’Écho de Saint-Eustache, elles sont tombées dans le piège de questions portant sur des dossiers inexistants.

La nouvelle députée néo-démocrate de 20 ans, Laurin Liu, n’est venue qu’une seule fois dans sa circonscription et c’était pour remettre son bulletin de mise en candidature. Elle confirme ne pas connaître les enjeux locaux.

Canoe

This has gone beyond surprise. The Quebec press is now laughing at these kids.

Two of the new NDP MPs in Quebec were finally questioned by local press about local issues. In fact, they were trick questions in that neither issues were real. In one case, it was about a highway under construction south of Montreal when the riding is north of Montreal. The other question conscerned the return of scheduled flights to Mirabel. In both cases, the NDP MPs showed their ignorance and tried to answer the questions.

Canoe

Gotcha questions are the best aren't they?

The NDP apparently has another Quebec MP. A recount shows that the Riviere du Loup riding went NDP by 5 votes. The Conservatives are now down to 5 in Quebec.

Edited by Smallc

Gotcha questions are the best aren't they?
These are not "gotcha" questions. Do you remember when everyone in Ontario laughed at Stockwell Day because he thought Lake Erie flowed south into Lake Ontario?

Now, imagine if Day had been a candidate for mayor of Niagara Falls at the time.

----

Punked, I understand that you are a partisan NDP person who will defend the NDP come hell or high water. But in this case, the NDP must choose another tactic.

Edited by August1991

Canoe

Wow they answered questions!

How many conservative MP's does harper allow to answer questions?

WWWTT

These are not "gotcha" questions. Do you remember when everyone in Ontario laughed at Stockwell Day because he thought Lake Erie flowed south into Lake Ontario?

Now, imagine if Day had been a candidate for mayor of Niagara Falls at the time.

----

Punked, I understand that you are a partisan NDP person who will defend the NDP come hell or high water. But in this case, the NDP must choose another tactic.

Yep these guys are just like the Leader of a Federal party.

Wow they answered questions!

How many conservative MP's does harper allow to answer questions?

WWWTT

They were all on holiday or whaterver and haven't had a chance to meet Layton or get their official orders yet.

They were all on holiday or whaterver and haven't had a chance to meet Layton or get their official orders yet.

I nominate "Vegas" Brosseau to the shadow cabinet position for tourism.

I also nominate Alexandre Boulerice to the shadow cabinet position for interprovincial affairs.

One promising rookie MP sent an email during the campaign explaining that he was still a Quebec sovereigntist and still supported the sovereigntist left-wing provincial party Quebec solidaire.

"Anyone can be in the NDP as long as they defend the program," wrote Alexandre Boulerice, who is likely to play a prominent role, in the late-March email to Montreal's Le Devoir.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jXFWuh6F73BBQpE32PLCR2ZdrUAA?docId=6769331

:)

None of these quotes indicates someone who is interested in actively promoting Quebec separatism at the moment:

"I supported the Bloc for a long time," said Morin, whose riding is northwest of Montreal.

"I saw that in a certain context it could have been justified," he added. "But I think that things have changed in Canada and Quebec, and it is perhaps not as pertinent now as it was in the past."

"We can also prioritize social and environmental questions before the national question."

"Sovereignty will be done in Quebec. And Quebecers will decide if they want to be a country," ...

... "Yeah, I'm a federalist. But I respect sovereignty."

If anything, they seem like relatively 'centrist' positions by Quebec standards.

Edited by Evening Star

I have read a bunch of the comments on this thread.

And it sounds to me like many anti-NDP commentators here are jelous of the NDP's success in Quebec.

All the classic signs of sour grapes are there.

Would you guys like some wine and cheese with your grapes?

WWWTT

Newfoundland MP Criticized by National Magazine

Maclean's magazine hammered the newly elected St. John's South Mount Pearl MP in a recent article. The article looks at some questionable comments made by Ryan Cleary when he was involved in journalism. It points out that Cleary stated the NDP were a bunch of "losers," and "a small pocket of aging granolas and artsy-fartsies" that "wouldn't win an election if they were given a 100-seat head start." The Maclean's article also attacks the separatist comments made by Cleary in the past, but Cleary says that he no longer feels that way. Cleary maintains that his personal mission in Ottawa is to seek a national energy policy that would liberalize electricity transmissio, and to demand a judicial inquiry into the cod fishery. The Maclean's article cites a St. John's blogger who says Cleary may be an accident waiting to happen.

Cleary's response to the magazine was simply: "I don't think I have a big mouth. I just have something to say and I'm going to say it."

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=14370&latest=1

The Maclean's article is worth the read too.