Realistically, how big a majority could Layton get?

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever hear of the HST? Voters in BC and Ontario have.

The Federal portion of the HST on fuel in BC is rebated.

And we could have a two-tier price system for fuel. One for internal and one for export.

And why would anyone want to develop Canadian oil reserves if they're forced to charge less to some markets than others?

There are lots of alternatives to giving the oil companies carte blance to do whatever they want and not pay for environmental impact, etc. What about the heritage fund?

I never said we should just throw everything to the oil companies, what I'm saying is that just ripping down the supports for oil companies will not ultimately make fuel cheaper. It will make it more expensive. You're mixing a lot of issues together here, and some of those issues are, to be quite blunt, provincial in nature. Are you seriously advocating that the Federal government intrude on Alberta's oil industry?

Seriously is there anything Harper does not lie about?

Harper's gas-hike warning based on incorrect tweet

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is arguing that the NDP cap-and-trade plan to curb greenhouse-gas emissions will send pump prices soaring, citing a tweet from University of Calgary economist Jack Mintz.

But the Conservative critique of the NDP climate-change plan is evaporating.

“NDP cap-and-trade at $40 per carbon tonne will be a 10 cent hike in gas tax. See Olewiler-Mintz paper on Sustainable Prosperity website,” Mr. Mintz tweeted on Thursday, sparking the Tory attack on the surging New Democrats.

Mr. Mintz said his calculations show the NDP's proposal for a cap-and-trade system to restrict greenhouse-gas emissions would add 10 cents a litre to gas prices in the early days and 18 cents a litre by 2014.

There’s just one problem: The mini-missive assumed – wrongly – that the NDP would include the fossil fuels that consumers use.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tory-gas-hike-warning-based-on-incorrect-tweet/article2002492/

Edited by Harry

And why would anyone want to develop Canadian oil reserves if they're forced to charge less to some markets than others?

no it's not an easy problem to fix...the fuel needs to be taxed at the pumps that's unavoidable...but we shouldn't be paying world prices for our fuel, maybe a drop in royalties for domestically sold fuel...saudi arabia sells fuel at .16 per liter...find a way to look after ourselves first, the inflation that comes with fuel rises is an economy killer ...

no it's not an easy problem to fix...the fuel needs to be taxed at the pumps that's unavoidable...but we shouldn't be paying world prices for our fuel,

Why not? Lots of other commodities are priced based on global markets. Do you feel the same way about gold, silver and softwood lumber? How do you suppose BC, Quebec and New Brunswick lumber companies would feel if tomorrow the PM announced that Canadians pay too much for their 2x4s, so now spruce, pine and fir will have 25% of their wholesale shaved off the top.

maybe a drop in royalties for domestically sold fuel...saudi arabia sells fuel at .16 per liter...find a way to look after ourselves first, the inflation that comes with fuel rises is an economy killer ...

I'm not really sure I want to use Saudi Arabia as a good model of solid economic management. When Saudi Arabia runs out of oil, it will be a country that owns lots of sand.

Edited by ToadBrother

Why not? Lots of other commodities are priced based on global markets. Do you feel the same way about gold, silver and softwood lumber?

it's not like other commodities, the price of silver does not effect the cost of the food I eat our the cost to heat the heat my home in winter, it's become an essential commodity needed to live in canada...and will remain so until we swtich to green energy...
I'm not really sure I want to use Saudi Arabia as a good model of solid economic management. When Saudi Arabia runs out of oil, it will be a country that owns lots of sand.
very solid economic management...that oil money is reinvested in other ventures, it's a gigantic pension fund just as Norway is doing, they're planning for the day when it stops flowing...in alaberta we do bugger all with it...

it's not like other commodities, the price of silver does not effect the cost of the food I eat our the cost to heat the heat my home in winter, it's become an essential commodity needed to live in canada...and will remain so until we swtich to green energy...

Softwood lumber prices affect my province's wellbeing. Maybe we should create higher softwood lumber prices for Canadians to keep the forest industry afloat and keep food on British Columbians' plates.

very solid economic management...that oil money is reinvested in other ventures, it's a gigantic pension fund just as Norway is doing, they're planning for the day when it stops flowing...in alaberta we do bugger all with it...

I think you'll find Saudi Arabia within a half century of the end of the oil boom will be a pile of sand, the House of Saud having vacated for the French Riviera.

Why not? Lots of other commodities are priced based on global markets. Do you feel the same way about gold, silver and softwood lumber? How do you suppose BC, Quebec and New Brunswick lumber companies would feel if tomorrow the PM announced that Canadians pay too much for their 2x4s, so now spruce, pine and fir will have 25% of their wholesale shaved off the top.

Why not use Saudi Arabia... they hold us 'hostage' in a sense while raking in the profits and selling gas to their own citizens and a substantially cheaper rate.

They must be doing something right..

Why not use Saudi Arabia... they hold us 'hostage' in a sense while raking in the profits and selling gas to their own citizens and a substantially cheaper rate.

They must be doing something right..

They don't have to manage a complex multi-input economy. Before the oil boom they were a major exporter of figs and myrrh.

They don't have to manage a complex multi-input economy. Before the oil boom they were a major exporter of figs and myrrh.

So we have an advantage on them already then.. explain again how that doesn't work in our favour?

You're trying to play both ends here to support your argument but it makes no sense...

So we have an advantage on them already then.. explain again how that doesn't work in our favour?

You're trying to play both ends here to support your argument but it makes no sense...

My point is that their economy has far few inputs and thus is ultimately much less complex so much easier to do two-tiered pricing on. Such tinkering in a complex industrialized economy would be much more difficult, and I question whether it would ultimately have the end result. Surely security of supply is much more important than pump price.

Who else is sick of the lies coming out of Harper's mouth? It is because of Harper that gas prices are higher than they should be.

You are aware that fuel prices have been rising everywhere, right? And do you think killing energy subsidies and thus undermining Canada's energy independence and exports would somehow bring prices down?

Relax.

Harper caused my stomach ache on Monday, and today's drenching rains.

How's this for a seat projection?

NDP - 115 seats

Cons - 110 seats

Libs - 65 seats

Bloc - 18 seats

The At Issue panel treated the surge as a fait accompli; we are, in other words, no longer at the point of shooting milk through our nose. Remember that thing I said about non-belief turning into belief, Jack is not Ed, the word on the street living in 1988, all that we need to know is that we don't actually believe what we think we believe? We're way past that point. The surge is real, people realize it's real, the other parties realize its real, the press treats it as real, and it was already real on the weekend, when people came out in disproportionate numbers to vote in the advance poll, 33-per-cent more than in 2008. If that translated on election day, we're talking 75 per cent of the population voting rather than 58 per cent. So we're talking new voters, no doubt. Ignatieff's message today is that the Liberal voters who didn't come out in 2008 are back, and he's right – they are back with a vengeance, and they're voting NDP.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-reading/douglas-bell/another-word-from-our-ndp-conscience/article2001276/?from=sec368

Scary, eh! :rolleyes:

Life under a Jack Layton government

What to expect

From a Layton government, Canadians can expect an ambitious but pragmatic governing agenda that is directed at demonstrating that the NDP can exercise power responsibly and effectively.

Expect Layton to adhere to his commitment to balance the federal budget within the next four years, by returning the corporate tax rate to the 2008 level and eliminating the roughly $2 billion in subsidies to the oil sands — though this might depend what his minority partners, the Liberals, have to say.

Expect investments in employment insurance, affordable housing and health care that reflect an understanding that helping people when they're down is the best way to get them back on their feet and contributing again.

When it comes to climate change, Layton understands the scale and immediacy of the crisis, and also the opportunities.

Expect a new emphasis on green jobs, with significant investments in environmental retrofits and public transportation, in the latter, by redirecting some of the existing federal gas tax.

Expect a cap-and-trade system that will use market forces to push businesses towards significant emission reductions and reward those who are the best at this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/04/27/cv-election-vp-byers.html#

Edited by Harry

Harper's tone has certainly changed since the beginning of this election. After the fire and brimstone that he has been spouting, this just sounds like begging:

“What we’ve learned in past five years – if we didn’t know it before – what everybody has certainly learned in minority is you have to listen. You have to listen to the opposition, but not just because they’re the opposition, but ultimately you have to listen to Canadians and the opposition may be saying some things Canadians care about.”

source: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/04/28/john-ivison-harper-on-the-edge-but-of-what/

Harper's tone has certainly changed since the beginning of this election. After the fire and brimstone that he has been spouting, this just sounds like begging:

“What we’ve learned in past five years – if we didn’t know it before – what everybody has certainly learned in minority is you have to listen. You have to listen to the opposition, but not just because they’re the opposition, but ultimately you have to listen to Canadians and the opposition may be saying some things Canadians care about.”

source: http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/04/28/john-ivison-harper-on-the-edge-but-of-what/

So just how big did Harper's nose grow when he was saying that?

The next time Harper listens to what everyone's saying will be the first time.

But you're right, he's begging now that his pompous ass is about to be kicked to the curb by Canadians who have had enough of his act.

Good riddens to trash...

This is the kind of prime minister I'm looking for.

Layton vows to hit the ground running

But Layton was confident he would come through on many of them when asked what he realistically could expect to accomplish in that short time frame, given that Harper has given himself 100 days to pass a slew of crime bills.

Layton said he could move quickly on hiring doctors and nurses — especially with the help of a Canadian Medical Association plan to repatriate Canadian doctors working overseas — although he did not provide a figure for how many he would hire right away.

Layton also said an NDP budget would include the small business tax cut, the $4,500 job-creation tax credit and an additional $400 million to increase the Guaranteed Income Supplement for seniors.

“These are exactly the things that I have committed to do in the first 100 days and all of them are doable and affordable,” Layton said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/982408--layton-vows-to-hit-the-ground-running?bn=1

That job-creation tax credit is such a good idea that the tories stole it, but reduced it to $1200.

Tax credits don't create jobs. Businesses having work that needs to be done does. The NDP plan of raising taxes overall, and slowing the economy down makes any so-called tax credit for hiring completely moot. Once again, Jack Layton proves he's as economically illiterate as Barack Obama. Layton's a nice guy, but dumb as bricks.