Layton/NDP open to reopening constitution with Quebec

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps that's the way some people feel, but it's certainly not what ToadBrother or I said.

[+]

All I've said is that I think big packages of constitutional changes will buy us nothing but trouble. I don't think we should repeat the Trudeau-era constitutional talks, nor should we follow the course of Meech Lake or Charlottetown. I think we should identify important changes through a thoughtful, respectful process, prioritize them and go after each one individually. That way no one's boat will sink if the changes get rejected.

All I've said is that I think big packages of constitutional changes will buy us nothing but trouble. I don't think we should repeat the Trudeau-era constitutional talks, nor should we follow the course of Meech Lake or Charlottetown. I think we should identify important changes through a thoughtful, respectful process, prioritize them and go after each one individually. That way no one's boat will sink if the changes get rejected.

Agree 100% Now is not the time for that, I'm not sure their will ever be a right time. I feel that Trudeau weakened Canada that fateful day. A sad day for Canada.

Agree 100% Now is not the time for that, I'm not sure their will ever be a right time. I feel that Trudeau weakened Canada that fateful day. A sad day for Canada.

I have a hard time with this "Trudeau wrecked it all." Patriating the constitution may have been one of his greatest achievements, and Levesque's exclusion was as much his fault as Trudeau's and the rest of the Gang of Eight.

Lots of negativitey on this thread about re-opening constitutional talks.

Heres the party track record:

Liberal-fail

Conservatives-fail

Now that Layton has made this topic during an election campaign a possibility it seems to be propelling the NDP to new heights

Is it possible that people in Quebec want The NDP to finaly bring Quebec into the fold?

Are the NDP the only party capable of uniting Canada?

From the poll numbers I say yes!

Ignatieff and Harper are both dead against this saying that this is no time for constitutional talks.

So far their comments are the closest to a Kim Cambell gaff that I have heard and I predict that after all the votes are counted these comments will be set apart and pointed at as dire mistakes or as a sign of desperation play onto fear.

WWWTT

Is it possible that people in Quebec want The NDP to finaly bring Quebec into the fold?

Is it possible that Quebec already is in the fold and has been for the last 144 years?

Are the NDP the only party capable of uniting Canada?

From the poll numbers I say yes!

Ignatieff and Harper are both dead against this saying that this is no time for constitutional talks.

So far their comments are the closest to a Kim Cambell gaff that I have heard and I predict that after all the votes are counted these comments will be set apart and pointed at as dire mistakes or as a sign of desperation play onto fear.

So, the NDP is going to win a majority and be called upon to form a government on the promise of "We'll amend the constitution!"* Are you serious?

* No fixed plan available. Promises of required agreement are for entertainment purposes only. The NDP is not responsible for lost or damaged provinces.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

No, you actually entertain and feed them. Because you vouch for the worst option. Don't stop, scream it out loud. Go go go!

Poor Gilles. He's only going to have 15 seats when this election is over... which may easily not be including his own.

Edited by nittanylionstorm07

A lot of people in Québec wish more canadians share the same opinion as your's. Unfortunatly, whether it is this forum or the real life, it's not quiet there yet.

NDP is not prepared to take government. They would screw up the country if they got it - Bob Rae's Ontario Government on steroids.

Oh my! Another oldie scare tactic. Guess what? Let's talk about bad provincial governments.

For one, Grant Devine's Conservative's Sask. govt. My goodness if the Conservatives were running federally wouldn't they be as bad as Devine's govt was?

Wait, how about Richard Hatfield's NB Conservative's govt. They were so bad that when they lost, they won 0!!!! seats. Just imagine, if the Conservatives won federally, they would screw up the country, Richard Hatfield's NB govt. on steroids.

How about the Liberals, they can't do no wrong..right? Well Smallwood's NL Liberal govt. was not one to remember; he made many a bad decision including giving away Churchill Falls.

There have been many bad provinical govts of all stripes in Canada's history. Yet the anti-NDPers selectively remember only Rae's govt and forget all the rest.

Edited by Rovik

Who are on the streets protesting over a silly G8 summit? The right?

Who are the ones afraid the sky is going to fall over carbon emissions? The right?

Who are the ones ordering you to wear a helmet so you don't hurt yourself? The right?

No no no. The LEFT are the ones getting pissed and emotional over everything. Conservatives just want LOW TAXES, NO NEW IDEAS, AND TO BE LEFT ALONE.

New on the boards but the last line on the quote totally sums up and keeps really simply dumbed down how many feel. Cheers!

Laton says yes to everybody and promises everything. That's just what he does. He has so many promises I can't imagine him prioritizing everything.

And everyone has been part of the NDP knows that all policy in the NDP is from Jack himself. You have to tote the party line in the NDP or you're kicked out. The NDP is a marxist party with marxist roots.

The NDP are a social democratic party not a marxist party. If people try to mislabel the NDP like that, than I can't argue against people that say that the Conservatives are facist (I don't believe it myself but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.)

Hmmmm... and Harper doesn't have his people toe the party line? That's right, he lets his members vote and say what they believe and not what the party may believe. Wait a second, what am I saying...this is Steven Harper I'm talking about.

Edited by Rovik

Guest peterb

Coalition government is a "disoriented government"

Now that Duceppe has enlisted the help of Jacques Parizeau, former head of the PQ in Quebec, and has become involved in this election campaign, obviously he smells blood, Canadians must be reminded of his enlightening previous comments, in regards to a coalition in Ottawa.

“A weaker govt in Ottawa is eminently satisfying. The image must be one of a weak, disoriented govt which will become weaker and more disoriented in the future. This is perfect”

Let's get one thing straight here.

1) Jack is not going to even going to begin looking at getting Quebec into the Constitution until he addresses more pressing concerns first (doctors and GIS)

2) When the Constitution is opened, he already remarked that it would not be so until he's relatively certain that it will be successful in getting Quebec's signature

Yeah--- that'll happen.

First condition, All schools in Canada will teach only the French language.

Second-- Quebec has Veto power and only Quebec has it

Third--Triple the balance of payments because of all the times that Que has been insulted by the ROC.

Fourth Duceppe will have to be PM, guaranteed for 10 years.

The NDP are a social democratic party not a marxist party.
A social democratic party that has the former leader of the canadian communist party running as a candidate in quebec. It may not be marxist but it is filled with left wing nut jobs that will kill the economy.

The promise to cap cerdit card rates is a good example of the lunatic fringe policies that come out the NDP.

If you don't like the CPC then vote Liberal. We need a NDP government like we need a hole in the head.

Yeah--- that'll happen.

First condition, All schools in Canada will teach only the French language.

Second-- Quebec has Veto power and only Quebec has it

Third--Triple the balance of payments because of all the times that Que has been insulted by the ROC.

Fourth Duceppe will have to be PM, guaranteed for 10 years.

Fifth- every English Canadian gets sold as slaves to Americans.

Sixth- before they are sold, they must get whipped by alien pink unicorns.

A social democratic party that has the former leader of the canadian communist party running as a candidate in quebec. It may not be marxist but it is filled with left wing nut jobs that will kill the economy.

The promise to cap cerdit card rates is a good example of the lunatic fringe policies that come out the NDP.

If you don't like the CPC then vote Liberal. We need a NDP government like we need a hole in the head.

And the Conservatives don't have right wing nut jobs that would love to curtail freedoms and force their social views on the rest of us?

The cap for credit cards is good policy. The banks will still make profits off prime + 5, though it may cut into the billions in profit that they make. And heaven forbid, a CEO might only make $250000 in bonuses instead of several million (for example.) There are credit cards out there that charge up to 29% , yet when an individual puts money into a bank he/she only gets 1 or 2% interest... well the system is broken and the average joe is the one who suffers.

Edited by Rovik

And the Conservatives don't have right wing nut jobs that would love to curtail freedoms and force their social views on the rest of us?
Some. But the difference is abortion and gay marriage don't affect most people. The economy affects everyone and Jack has promised to actually implement many brain dead economic policies. That is why the NDP is so bloody dangerous.
The cap for credit cards is good policy.
It is a horrible policy. It will simply ensure that banks do not lend to people unless they have really good credit. The poor will be reduced to using loan sharks and services like Money Mart. I am sure the average joe will thank Jack when his knees get broken by a mob enforcer. Edited by TimG

The horrible policy. It will simply ensure that banks do not lend to people unless they have good credit. The poor will be reduced to using loan sharks and services like Money Mart. I am sure the average joe will thank Jack when knees het broken by a mob enforcer.

The "no loan more then 5%" over prime would apply to money mart, and banks will loan out until they reach the point where the loan no longer makes them money. You are being silly and show you don't understand our system if you think otherwise. I agree though banks wont make loans they can't make money on.