Women Now Support Conservatives

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am sceptical that women have switched to Harper because of Ignatieff. Ignatieff has been leader since 2009. The change however seems to date from the end of 2010.

By that argument, it makes even less sense that they would warm up to Stephen Harper suddenly after his 9 years as one of this country's most prominent political figures. Why'd things turn around after 9 years?

Team Liberal has been touting this election as the electorate's chance to really "Get to know" Michael Ignatieff... and "to know him" is not necessarily "to love him".

I know that I'm hijacking this thread but statistics show that median real income has risen in Alberta over the past 30 years. IOW, despite the increase in housing prices, incomes are still higher.

That doesn't prove the point you think it does, because real purchasing power is calculated on far more than just housing prices. It is undeniable that housing prices have grown at a rate far out of proportion to income.

Each individual case is different but in general, my point is that if you want the widescreen TV, the two cars, the vacation to Hawaii, the dishwasher, central vac and so on, you'll need two incomes. If you are willing to live as your father 30 years ago, you'll need only one.

The big TV, dishwasher, central vacuum, and vacation in Hawaii have all gotten far more affordable than they were back when dad was my age. House prices, on the other hand, have gone through the roof.

My 50" plasma was more affordable in 2009 than dad's crappy 19" CRT was for him 30 years ago, thanks to international trade and the global economy. The house on the other hand, is completely the opposite, and I can't buy a home in Malaysia.

-k

I haven't the slightest idea why any woman would vote for the Conservatives.

Well, most of the stuff they're complaining about in the video is the loss of funding for whiny groups that don't actually bear any relevance to most womens' lives.

-k

Mr. Toads, with all due respect, that's just anti-conservative, partisan, non-objective crap! :angry:

It reminds me of the old Reform days. The Liberals and the NDP would start making cracks about Reform being made up of old men. Reform would gently point out that they had more women MPs than either the Liberals or the "Dippers.

Then the line would be "They're made up of old WHITE men!" Again, Reform would respond with the obvious - there were more visible minority faces among the Reform caucus sitting in the House than there were on the other sides!

Some folks seem to run on caricatures, letting their dislike for a party or individual colour their impressions of them. So they make ad hominem attacks first, without really checking if they are true or not.

Ask Deb Gray if her party supported women! She was worth TEN Hedy Fry's or Carolyn Parrish's!

I could list the cuts the Cons have made to women's programs, but I won't bother as the conservative ilk will just gloss over it.

Which is just the sort of rhetoric that keeps women away from the Conservatives.

I don't personally know any women who care about funding cuts to "status of women" groups. They're just symbols.

Women want to be prosperous. Women want to be safe. Women want good healthcare. Women want to be able to obtain education. They want their kids to have good education. Do advocacy groups really provide any of this stuff? I don't think many women believe they do.

-k

Many women would be wrong. Advocacy groups are the ones taking the time to put in the research and lobby the government for action. Removing the advocacy groups is akin to shooting targets blindfolded. Sure you might hit the bullseye a few times, but number of times you do will drop significantly. It's far better to be able to see what you're aiming at.

Advocacy groups are the ones taking the time to put in the research and lobby the government for action.
No they don't. They simply mine data until they find the statistics that support their predetermined conclusions. They offer no new insights what is going on.

Many women would be wrong. Advocacy groups are the ones taking the time to put in the research and lobby the government for action. Removing the advocacy groups is akin to shooting targets blindfolded. Sure you might hit the bullseye a few times, but number of times you do will drop significantly. It's far better to be able to see what you're aiming at.

Exactly. Without them, the old boys clubs don't even bother to ask the questions, much less find answers.

I'm a married mother. I can't imagine why any woman would vote for the Conservatives either.

Income slitting

Child care allowance...

Child Sports tax credit

The Liberals have on numerous times pledge to fund daycare....and of course, on numerous times did nothing.

The Liberals I assume believe that women have very poor memories and are suckers for promises

Income slitting

Child care allowance...

Child Sports tax credit

The Liberals have on numerous times pledge to fund daycare....and of course, on numerous times did nothing.

The Liberals I assume believe that women have very poor memories and are suckers for promises

Again.... you seem to be assuming that men don't have children, and women don't have jobs.

Check out some of this: http://www.nawl.ca/en/issues

Team Liberal has been touting this election as the electorate's chance to really "Get to know" Michael Ignatieff... and "to know him" is not necessarily "to love him".
Maybe you're right. Women in Canada finally paid attention, saw Ignatieff and decided they didn't like him. Dunno.
That doesn't prove the point you think it does, because real purchasing power is calculated on far more than just housing prices. It is undeniable that housing prices have grown at a rate far out of proportion to income.
Your father's house in Edmonton in 1980 (or whenever) may be exactly the same house in 2011 but the city around it has changed, and hence the value of its location.

Another way to state this is to say that in 1980, your father was living in a location that today would be the equivalent of (randomly looks at Google map) Sherwood Park.

----

I'm a married mother. I can't imagine why any woman would vote for the Conservatives either.
I haven't the slightest idea why any woman would vote for the Conservatives.
Cybercoma & Molly, you probably don't have the slightest idea why any man would vote Conservative either. IOW, you don't understand about 40% of your fellow Canadians.

I think this is what bothers me about the "tolerant Left". They are unwilling to accept that reasonable, intelligent people may disagree with them.

Edited by August1991

Maybe you're right. Women in Canada finally paid attention, saw Ignatieff and decided they didn't like him. Dunno.

Your father's house in Edmonton in 1980 (or whenever) may be exactly the same house in 2011 but the city around it has changed, and hence the value of its location.

Another way to state this is to say that in 1980, your father was living in a location that today would be the equivalent of (randomly looks at Google map) Sherwood Park.

----

Cybercoma & Molly, you probably don't have the slightest idea why any man would vote Conservative either. IOW, you don't understand about 40% of your fellow Canadians.

I think this is what bothers me about the "tolerant Left". They are unwilling to accept that reasonable, intelligent people may disagree with them.

Apparently August you don't understand about 60% of your fellow Canadians who represent a majority.

I guess that explains what is wrong with the 'intolerant Right'. They are unwilling to accept that a clear cut majority of intelligent people DO disagree with their outdated ideology.

Apparently August you don't understand about 60% of your fellow Canadians who represent a majority.

I guess that explains what is wrong with the 'intolerant Right'. They are unwilling to accept that a clear cut majority of intelligent people DO disagree with their outdated ideology.

But the fallicy of your argument is that the 60% you refer to is not a majority, they are split and actively bickering against each other. Right now, the biggest political fight in Canada is NDP vs. Libs.

But the fallicy of your argument is that the 60% you refer to is not a majority, they are split and actively bickering against each other. Right now, the biggest political fight in Canada is NDP vs. Libs.

|Ah yes the common twisting of facts which Conservatives are known for and love to use..

Ok, let me explain it in a way that even Conservatives cannot dispute it.

The majority of Canadians chose not to vote for Harper and what he stands for.

Edited by Rick

|Ah yes the common twisting of facts which Conservatives are known for and love to use..

Ok, let me explain it in a way that even Conservatives cannot dispute it.

The majority of Canadians chose not to vote for Harper and what he stands for.

And a larger number of Canadians chose not to vote for Layton as well as Iggy. You don't do statistics or logic very well.

The problem seems to be that none of the ideologies out there are exactly catching on either. Maybe the reason that we've been having minority governments, and seem doomed to continue having them, is that the electorate is basically saying "A pox on all your houses."

And a larger number of Canadians chose not to vote for Layton as well as Iggy. You don't do statistics or logic very well.

Something about pot/kettle here...

So by your Conservative math/logic... Harper must have had a majority then lol.

Perhaps that explains the sheer arrogance/ignorance they had towards such things like democracy, the way parliament works and our constitution.

The problem seems to be that none of the ideologies out there are exactly catching on either. Maybe the reason that we've been having minority governments, and seem doomed to continue having them, is that the electorate is basically saying "A pox on all your houses."

No arguements here Toad. Time to bring in a fresh face and not the same worn out 1950's Leave it to Beaver, mommy stays home pregnant and cooking dinner for family crowd.

We need a progressive approach, not more regression back to an outdated failed conservative ideology.

Here's a list of women's groups that have had their funding cut by the Conservatives:

1. Aboriginal Healing Foundation

(cuts affected several healing centres that focused on providing support to abused women, such as the Native Women’s Shelter of Montreal)

2. Action travail des femmes

3. Alberta Network of Immigrant Women

4. Association féminine d’éducation et d’action sociale (AFEAS)

5. Canadian Child Care Federation

6. Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women (CRIAW)

7. Centre de documentation sur l’éducation des adultes et la condition féminine

8. Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada

9. Child Care Resource and Research Unit, SpeciaLink

10. Conseil d’intervention pour l’accès des femmes au travail (CIAFT)

11. Elspeth Heyworth Centre for Women Toronto

(funding cut by CIC in December 2010)

12. Feminists for Just and Equitable Public Policy (FemJEPP) in Nova Scotia

13. First Nations Child and Family Caring Society

14. International Planned Parenthood Federation

15. Marie Stopes International,

a maternal health agency, has received only a promise of "conditional” funding IF it avoids any & all connection with abortion

16. MATCH International

17. National Association of Women and the Law (NAWL)

18. Native Women’s Association of Canada

19. New Brunswick Coalition for Pay Equity

20. Ontario Association of Interval and Transition Houses (OAITH)

21. Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care

22. Réseau des Tables régionales de groupes de femmes du Québec

23. Riverdale Immigrant Women’s Centre, Toronto

24. Sisters in Spirit

25. South Asian Women’s Centre

26. Status of Women Canada

(mandate also changed to exclude "gender equality and political justice" and to ban all advocacy, policy research and lobbying)

27. Tri-Country Women’s Centre Society

28. Womanspace Resource Centre (Lethbridge, Alberta)

29. Women for Community Economic Development in Southwest Nova Scotia (WCEDSN)

30. Women’s Innovative Justice Initiative – Nova Scotia

31. Workplace Equity/Employment Equity Program

32. Older Women's Network

33. Kelowna Women's Resource Centre (KWRC)

34. Réseau action femmes

source: http://www.womensequality.ca/#fundingcuts

Cutting funding to domestic violence support, child welfare, gender equality rights, and pay/work equity groups.

Again, I can't understand why any woman or, August's right, man would support the Conservatives.