Silver at $40 an ounce.

ZenOps

Almost right....some Americans don't even bother to vote, same as some Canadians. But most Americans really don't care who Canadians vote for, and certainly don't track the nuts and bolts of Canadian politics unless having a personal interest. Americans do not stay up on Canadian election night to see which party has prevailed in Parliament, who will be the opposition, or if the Bloc is making a comeback. It may as well be an election in Belarus for all they care.

Furthermore, if Americans did express more outright interest and influence than they already do/don't, I suspect that Canadians would be hopping mad. But they think nothing of forming action groups to influence American elections and support preferred candidates (e.g. Kerry, Obama).

Once I asked my sister who was living in Latin America for a number of years and then prior to that in Los Angeles...about politics - American in particular...she said "I am a guest in this nation and it is none of my buisness to interfere" _ that is a respectful attitude...as for central America - forget it - there politics consist of hard cold cash - and they are nicely honest about their dishonesty. So - do you really think that Canadians interfere in American matters a bit to much? Seems that way - BUT like a car crash - we all rubber neck...Canada slows right down to a crawl while they are watching the train wreck...so much so they never get to their own designation or destination.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... So - do you really think that Canadians interfere in American matters a bit to much? Seems that way - BUT like a car crash - we all rubber neck...Canada slows right down to a crawl while they are watching the train wreck...so much so they never get to their own designation or destination.

I don't know if it's too much....just know that I can't relate to the experience because I don't live next to a superpower and its colossal media engine. I suppose if I was bombarded with Canadian news media day/night it might suck me in, but not to the point of wanting to influence the outcome. It's an American choice, no matter how stupid Canadians may think that choice may be.

I don't know if it's too much....just know that I can't relate to the experience because I don't live next to a superpower and its colossal media engine. I suppose if I was bombarded with Canadian news media day/night it might suck me in, but not to the point of wanting to influence the outcome. It's an American choice, no matter how stupid Canadians may think that choice may be.

:lol:

Could it be that we are both super powers? The Americans at least know that - Canadians might be dumber in those regards than we think - I posted the idea on another thread regarding the British Commonwealth - that as you know we are part of - and you were also at one time...well the wealth was not common back in 1776 it was horded by a few across the pond.

Canada does not realize that they are part of a huge empire. The idea of putting the Royal back on the title is an indication that some in Ottawa are begining to figure that out. The British are still in the game...and they are starting to realize that our dear Queen might be very useful - besides - I totally adore that hot new wife the prince has....she has the face that could launch a thousand ships - or aircraft carriers - BC - my friend - That merger that I mentioned might not be a bad idea.

Could it be that we are both super powers? The Americans at least know that - Canadians might be dumber in those regards than we think - I posted the idea on another thread regarding the British Commonwealth - that as you know we are part of - and you were also at one time...well the wealth was not common back in 1776 it was horded by a few across the pond.

No...the US was never part of the British Commonwealth by definition.

I'm not assuming, I am basing it off of monetary policy, silver and gold will go up.

So why didn't it go up today, with the QE3 announcement expected in just 2 days? You are looking at one factor that affects gold and silver prices. In reality, there are many interplaying factors, most of which you fail to take into account. In fact, no one can fully understand and quantify the effects of all these factors. If they could, they could make hundreds of billions of dollars very quickly.

Personally, my view is that recent price fluctuations in gold and silver are primarily a result of fear and emotion, not of "monetary policy".

Edited by Bonam

So why didn't it go up today, with the QE3 announcement expected in just 2 days? You are looking at one factor that affects gold and silver prices. In reality, there are many interplaying factors, most of which you fail to take into account. In fact, no one can fully understand and quantify the effects of all these factors. If they could, they could make hundreds of billions of dollars very quickly.

Personally, my view is that recent price fluctuations in gold and silver are primarily a result of fear and emotion, not of "monetary policy".

What will a QE3 do? It will create more inflation. Part of the reason gold and silver are going up is due to inflation. If there is a QE3 then gold will rise further. Some of that rise will be due to speculation and some will be fear and emotion. The speculative percentage will take their profits now and then and a downward price correction will occur. As long as the uncertainty of not only monetary policy but regulatory policy prevails fear and emotion will be the biggest contributors to the rise.

However, permanent damage is being done to the purchasing power of the dollar. It won't get strong again until real production increases. It won't increase under BO - he may think digging and filling holes is production but it isn't. For crying out loud he has his fellow democrats saying that food stamps are an economic stimulus. Do they really think that?

• 4 weeks later...
A cupronickel alloy monetary standard is more likely than a gold monetary standard at this point in time. If the intrinsic metal value, of 1946-2011 U.S. Mint cupronickel nickels, remain close enough to face value, a cupronickel alloy monetary standard is possible. ...

... The June 3rd metal value of these nickels is “$0.0626101” or 125.22% of face value, according to the “United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table” at Coinflation.com.

But, rather than a nickel monetary standard, a cupronickel alloy monetary standard is more likely at this point in time. A one-dollar “Federal” Reserve note is directly convertible to a fixed mass of cupronickel alloy, namely, the amount of cupronickel found in twenty 1946-2011 U.S. Mint nickels.

If the long-term equilibrium market value, for the intrinsic metal content of 1946-2011 U.S. Mint nickels, is the same as face value, then the price of copper and nickel would have to decline by about 4.35% from right now, relative to the stated value of “Federal” Reserve notes.

The closing September 22nd intrinsic metal value of these nickels is “$0.0521772” or 104.35% of face value, according to the “United States Circulating Coinage Intrinsic Value Table” at Coinflation.com.

The long-term equilibrium market value would be the same as face value if people, on average, choose to no longer save nickels, but rather spend nickels, when the market value, for the intrinsic metal content of 1946-2011 U.S. Mint nickels, falls below face value.

Expressed another way, the long-term equilibrium market value would be the same as face value if people, on average, choose to no longer spend nickels, but rather save nickels, when the market value, for the intrinsic metal content of 1946-2011 U.S. Mint nickels, rises above face value.

Famous last words, huh?

I don't think so. I am not saying silver can't fall any more or it wont fall anymore. However I still strongly believe that in the long term it will be up. Right now the USD is where people are fleeing to for safety, there will be a point where people will be fleeing from the dollar, that is when things like gold and silver will shine. The US economy is in terrible shape but it seems like Europe may implode first which is good for the USD.

... The US economy is in terrible shape but it seems like Europe may implode first which is good for the USD.

Terrible shape compared to what? The US economy is in a post recession period like many that have come before. It remains the largest economy in the world, has positive growth (unlike Canada last quarter), and may have to help bail Europe out (IMF).