Un-Canadian-ism

Is it Un-Canadian to work/live outside the country?

Are you a "non-citizen" or a "citizen-not-in-good-standing" when you return?

Yah - what`s that all about.........If Canada is an independent nation - you should be able to be gainfully employed and independent - with in it`s boarders. No one should be able to leave Canada....The Charter states that you have freedom of mobility - but only within the confines of the nation....Leave - and you don`t get back in.....got that Iggy.... :P

Our guys in Afghanistan are "working outside the country".

Edited by scouterjim

You mean they are paying them.............my question mark stopped working. Who started this UN-American UN - Canadian copy of an American thread...........why this is very un-Canadian - Putting UN - in front of American never help them much - and it will be worthless here also.

Some may say that they didn't have much choice....

What if one chooses to work outside Canada? Is that unCanadian?

Some may say that they didn't have much choice....

What if one chooses to work outside Canada? Is that unCanadian?

Saw a big black guy in uniform...he was very proud and mildly aggressive - he has no choice because he was stupid....so are all the white Christian boys from rural Canada - who volunteer and go there to die. These trusting souls that volunteer actually trust our system...they believe that those in power are all honest - or they would not be there..such a waste of young life...Then to parade the corpse down the High Way of Heros...to stir up the emotions of other dummies - they take the body to the coroners office for a private autopsy..which is bizarre...so some curious researchers can create a data bank on savage body trama caused by road side bombs...If this was WW2 - The dead would not get such royal treatment - You would need a refrigerated train to bring back the bodies - Afganistan is just Canada playing at war....it`s a game that fools partake in an rich bored jerks orchestrate.

Since the culture hinges on individualism and promotion of capitalism I don't see why a person should not go to where they can boldly plunged in an increase in wealth. How do you think the some folks got exploited, there exist opportunities and a mercenary.

For example, now that I am much older and wiser I have my eyes set in down under. Obviously, it is in my best interest to integrate and assimilate and become as Australian as I can and as soon as possible.

- when I am done with my feat, I would return with my good fortune

- at that time I would feign my dismay upon discovery I am not in good Canadian standing

Albeit in these times I ponder of Christopher Columbus, if I didn't know better I would have made reference to Isabella and call him Spanish.

so un-Canadian would allude to the normal reference of being American - nothing wrong with this, when things crumbles that's what happens. The conservatives have an ad that shows about crumbles. We return to America.

Notes so that I am coherent so some folks

- Columbus is Italian

- In my experience traveling we are identified as American until corrected

- The "I am Canadian" bit as in the commercial is loaded with non-Canadian sentiments or anti-Americanism

Negative Ad

• 2 weeks later...

Working outside Canada is one thing. Working outside Canada for 35 years is quite another. That person cannot possibly be in touch with everyday Canadians after a 35 year absence. Does someone who hasn't been in Canada since PET was in power really be in touch with everyday Canada today? I don't think so.

Working outside Canada is one thing. Working outside Canada for 35 years is quite another. That person cannot possibly be in touch with everyday Canadians after a 35 year absence. Does someone who hasn't been in Canada since PET was in power really be in touch with everyday Canada today? I don't think so.

Well... that's a point. There are, after all, people who have been here all the time since Trudeau and who are not in touch with today's canada

I worked in the oil industry most of my adult life. And several times my work has moved me off shore for short lengths of time. But many of my friends have been off shore for significant periods of time. But they were all Canadian in heart. But what really Pis*es me off is the dual citizen Lebanese, who come here, get citizenship, go home till they have a medical issue, or till another war breaks out and my tax dollars has to pay to bail them out of their chosen situation. What a travesty of common justice. (Not in the legal, but in the moral sense.)

Edited by RNG

But what really Pis*es me off is the dual citizen Lebanese, who come here, get citizenship, go home till they have a medical issue, or till another war breaks out and my tax dollars has to pay to bail them out of their chosen situation. What a travesty of common justice. (Not in the legal, but in the moral sense.)

I'll agree with that. This is one of the reasons i dont believe in dual citizenship. Pick your country and be done with it. If you choose to become a citizen of another country, then you must renounce your Canadian citizenship.