Greens Not Welcome At Televised Debate

I'm so happy that the Greens have been booted out to the sidelines where they belong. I do think it's high time the rules for inclusion in the debate are set out on paper so that we don't keep having this debate debate every election.

My personal recommendation is if the current incarnation of your party has ever gotten official party status in the commons you should be allowed in the debates as long as that party exists. Further if your party hasn't attained official party status in the past, but did elect at least 1 MP in the last election they should be allowed in for the next debate only. None of this Blair Wilson backdoor crap.

And as for people who say the Bloc shouldn't be in the English debates two things:

#1: you know not everyone in Quebec speaks French right?

#2: What basis are you arguing they should be excluded? Because you don't like what they stand for? I personally don't like what the Conservatives, NDP, or the Bloc stand for; but I don't think that means they shouldn't be allowed at the debate.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This issue is a perfect example of the advantages of our traditional "First Past the Post" system. It sets a bar to screen out the fringe parties!

If the networks are allowed to say no to May why don't they say no to Duceppe? He has no business being in the debate either, and just makes it more difficult to hear the people who English Canadians are interested in learning about.

If the networks are allowed to say no to May why don't they say no to Duceppe?
They adopted a fairly neutral criteria: parties with seats in the house. Duceppe has seats in the house so he gets a place in the debate. I don't see what the issue is. Edited by TimG

Theoretically, I could win the lottery tomorrow. Chances of that are a hell of a lot higher than the scenario you describe, too.

THere's nothing wrong with giving a theoretical extreme to illustrate the problem with the system. The number of seats won by a party does not indicate that party's support. At the extreme end a party could have 49% of public support and by your system not have a seat at the debate. Most people would agree that this is unacceptable. In reality the Green Party was supported by nearly 1,000,000. That's more people than the population of the entire province of New Brunswick. Yet she doesn't get a seat at the debate? Come on. I wouldn't vote for her and I didn't like the way she was trying to shout down Harper in the last debate; however, I still think her supporters deserve to see her at the debates. And for that matter, any party that has enough support to run candidates in almost every riding, should be represented at the debates, so voters know what they stand for--even if no one agrees with them.

They adopted a fairly neutral criteria: parties with seats in the house. Duceppe has seats in the house so he gets a place in the debate. I don't see what the issue is.

What about the independents? They have seats in the House. Why don't they get to enter the debates and represent themselves?

What about the independents? They have seats in the House. Why don't they get to enter the debates and represent themselves?

That's just another reason why the rules have to be tight.

Not just the debates, I'd seriously like to see the definition of official political party status tightened up to include a minimum number of elected officials and a minimum number of ridings represented in a minimum number of provinces. Then just make the criteria for participating directly in pretty much anything be "official party status".

The BQ is still a party that was and could become the official opposition. Independents are simply individuals.

I'm torn on Bloc participation. On the one hand people may want answers to how they'd handle being the Opposition. Onthe other they're dedicated to destroying Canada and have no chance of Cabinet participation other than in coalition.

So I'm not sure.

I'm torn on Bloc participation. On the one hand people may want answers to how they'd handle being the Opposition. Onthe other they're dedicated to destroying Canada and have no chance of Cabinet participation other than in coalition.

So I'm not sure.

If the entire state of New York no longer wanted to be a part of the United States, would you support their ability to elect to office members of a political party whose objectives were to see New York's independence? And if you support them being elected to office, would you not support their full participation in the democratic process?

Edited by cybercoma

Here is an article where the chairman of the broadcast consortium talks about the decision to exclude May.

He says they are sticking to their guns and will not reconsider allowing May to participate.

As somebody who'd like the debate to be meaningful, I'm extremely happy to hear it. The more people participating, the less likely that anything worthwhile happens at the debate.

Probably the ideal situation for the Conservatives would be if the Greens were included, as well as the Marxist-Lenonists, Christian Heritage, Marijuana Party, Rhinoceros Party, Waffle Party, and any other party. That would almost guarantee that nothing informative would happen during the debate. The more people involved, the less time is available for anybody to present an argument or make their case to the Canadian people. That would be great for the Conservatives, but a loss for the other parties and a loss for the voters as well.

-k

So I'm not sure.

Hmm well if we go by theoretical extremes as mentioned in the thread earlier... the Bloc could win up to 75 seats in Quebec and the remaining 4 parties could be equally split in the rest of Canada with 58-59 seats each, giving the Bloc the first chance at forming a government :lol:

Hmm well if we go by theoretical extremes as mentioned in the thread earlier... the Bloc could win up to 75 seats in Quebec and the remaining 4 parties could be equally split in the rest of Canada with 58-59 seats each, giving the Bloc the first chance at forming a government :lol:

Forming a minority government, yes. Do you think they would actually get support for their separatist agenda with a minority government?

It's official....No special treatment for fringe party

Green party Leader Elizabeth May has lost in her last-ditch effort to get in to the televised leaders' debates.

Federal Court judge Marc Nadon has decided not to expedite the case before the first debate on Tuesday.

The party says it will look at all options before deciding whether to pursue the case any further.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/judge-denies-elizabeth-mays-bid-to-join-leaders-debates/article1971474/

Maybe the Greens will grow up now, pick a proper and sensible leader and try to claw their way up. It's not impossible. The CCF did it, and it didn't get more grassroots than them.

Maybe the Greens will grow up now, pick a proper and sensible leader and try to claw their way up. It's not impossible. The CCF did it, and it didn't get more grassroots than them.

...maybe they can use their $2 per vote to actually communicate with the public rather than hope their video goes viral...

If the entire state of New York no longer wanted to be a part of the United States, would you support their ability to elect to office members of a political party whose objectives were to see New York's independence?

No. I'd support their trial for treason, and likely their execution as traitors.

And if you support them being elected to office, would you not support their full participation in the democratic process?

See above. There is nothing democratic about secession. Secession is a rejection of the democratic process whereby the loser lives by the result of the succession of elections.

I think this decision effectively ends Ms. May's leadership of that party...

Question...

Are there sensible Greens?