Liberals already giving up in Alberta

They pretend they are a national party but how they run says differently.

For the Liberals, only MacDonald is setting up a physical campaign office this time, said Carlson. The rest will run virtual offices and rely heavily on social media and Skype.

The Liberals and the Green party are the only major parties still finalizing their list of candidates in Alberta. Six out of 20 Liberals in Alberta will need to be appointed.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Layton+will+kick+campaign+Edmonton/4505080/story.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than a little NDP outpost,the province is a Tory wasteland...

The money to spend on offices that will produce nothing in the next election is better spent in places where the Liberals are competative...

How will they ever be competitive there if they never put any money or effort? Seems like a self fulfilling prophecy. Although I agree that their resources aren't what they used to be. Their hemorrhaging of support over the last several years has greatly impacted their fundraising abilities.

How will they ever be competitive there if they never put any money or effort? Seems like a self fulfilling prophecy. Although I agree that their resources aren't what they used to be. Their hemorrhaging of support over the last several years has greatly impacted their fundraising abilities.

Do you really think a Liberal has a snowball's chance in Hell of winning a seat in Alberta??

I'm surprised Layton is trying so hard there,although,the NDP actually has a seat in Edmonton...

Hate to agree but the NDP are raising more and more, putting more and more money into ridings while the Liberals are giving up on whole provinces. It seems crazy but it get a whole lot worse for the Liberals.

The Liberals could throw a billion dollars into Alberta campaigns and be no further ahead.

That is the point.

Yes, the point is that the Albertans are so ideologically bound to the conservative right that, other than a few ridings, they wouldn't even consider voting for any other party, unless that party were even more to the right (like Wild Rose).

I don't see how this reflects badly on the Liberals. It more reflects badly on Albertans.

Yes, the point is that the Albertans are so ideologically bound to the conservative right that, other than a few ridings, they wouldn't even consider voting for any other party, unless that party were even more to the right (like Wild Rose).

I don't see how this reflects badly on the Liberals. It more reflects badly on Albertans.

I'm wondering when these Albertans will wake up and relaize that Harper is no longer running the party form a Reform prospective buy and Ontario "Mike Harris PC" prospective???

Perhaps the Harrisite method is OK with them?

Why does it reflect *badly* on Albertans that they choose right wing politicians. Does it reflect *badly* on inner city Toronto that they would never elect a conservative?

With an attitude like that, is it any wonder that the Liberals are in opposition.

If I take a long term view, the Liberals should lose this election soundly and make a fundamental overhaul of their party. There are many Canadians (English and French) who want a political party that bridges the various regional divides in Canada without ideology other than a bland fiscally conservative, socially liberal base policy.

At the moment, the Liberal party is largely a collection of immigration consultants who use the MP moniker to drum up business. They are vassals in their local riding and the Liberal Party doesn't exist elsewhere or even in any real sense.

With an attitude like that, is it any wonder that the Liberals are in opposition.

If I take a long term view, the Liberals should lose this election soundly and make a fundamental overhaul of their party. There are many Canadians (English and French) who want a political party that bridges the various regional divides in Canada without ideology other than a bland fiscally conservative, socially liberal base policy.

At the moment, the Liberal party is largely a collection of immigration consultants who use the MP moniker to drum up business. They are vassals in their local riding and the Liberal Party doesn't exist elsewhere or even in any real sense.

Sadly,for the health of democracy in this country,the current version the the Liberal party needs to be decimated so that it can rebuild itself...

That's not to say I want to see a Tory majority because I think that almost 10 years of them being in power would do irrepairable (sp) harm to this country,and turn it in the wrong direction...

I think the fact that we have not really had effective opposition to the Tories,even in a minority,speaks to a break down in our democracy that seems to be worsening.The Liberal party stands for nothing other than to have power.It has'nt stood for anything since the Trudeau era...

Edited by Jack Weber

Yep, you could run a drunken high school drop-out as a Tory and he'd win in Alberta. Oh, wait, we already did. Ralph Klein.

It reflects badly on the Liberals that they aren't at least trying in those few ridings.

If Alberta will elect an NDPer it will elect a Liberal.

I said there was the odd riding, but if we can speak of Alberta as a whole, it wouldn't vote Liberal of Jesus Christ came down and told them to.

So what? If they have any chance in A riding why don't they at least open a riding office? Do you think the Liberals have riding offices in every Quebec riding, even the ones where they don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected?

Edited by Scotty

So what? If they have any chance in A riding why don't they at least open a riding office? Do you think the Liberals have riding offices in every Quebec riding, even the ones where they don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected?

Oh come on. I doubt the Tories put huge efforts into ridings they know they can't touch. That's pretty standard fare. You put the most resources where you think you can get the biggest pay off, you put the next largest amount of resources in the secure ridings just in case, and last in line are those that you know you couldn't win. I can't even figure out why this is an issue, this is the way politics has worked in most democracies for a couple of hundred years.

Edited by ToadBrother

Scotty,when you go to the track (if you've ver been to the track)...

Do you put the money of the 150:1 shot or the 3:1 or 4:1 shot?

Do I want to be a national party or regional one?

It's a national party that's not putting equal resources in every riding. I'll wager my pretty much guaranteed-Tory riding isn't going to be getting nearly as much riding as some of the potential swing ridings in Greater Vancouver.

As far as issues go, this is just about the most moronic non-issue I've seen yet.