Trudeau ignites storm

More Trudeau-ian shenanigans from the Star:

Trudeau ignites storm after ‘barbaric’ comments of honour killings

But Trudeau, the Liberal immigration critic, is drawing controversy for his response to another element of the guide: its description of honour killings as a “barbaric” cultural practice.

Trudeau argued that the government should have qualified violence against women as “absolutely unacceptable” instead of belittling other cultures with the word “barbaric.”

His argument immediately set off howls of protest from Conservative bloggers, the Prime Minister's Office and the immigration minister.

Their condemnations and the subsequent fallout online brought about an apology from Trudeau, who called all violence against women barbaric.

Feast away. :lol:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phhhbtt... big deal. I do believe we have much larger fish to fry than worrying about semantics. Whateve, 30 second distraction from all of the CPC boondoggles and schemes.

So right shakey, alot more larger fish to fry then bev oda , the in and out, so much more. Speaking of fish..........

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=18296

Good for Trudeau, he's 100% right in his comments...

So what's the problem again?

The problem is , we canadians are sick and tired of the political correctness that has overtaken canada's left.

So right shakey, alot more larger fish to fry then bev oda , the in and out, so much more. Speaking of fish..........

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums//index.php?showtopic=18296

Puhlease... Not even remotely comparable.

Saw your fish thread, could make fish heads or tails out of it :P

The last paragraph of the article was interesting and a bit telling though.

Good for Trudeau, he's 100% right in his comments...

So what's the problem again?

Trudeau has had time to reflect and The Star has had time to soften up the story. In the original interview on Newstalk 1010, Trudeau had originally said:

During an interview with radio station Newstalk 1010, Trudeau said he was "uncomfortable" with the government labelling honour killings as "barbaric," a remark that sparked a series of attacks from Conservative MPs.

Link: http://www.canada.com/news/Trudeau+apologizes+comments+barbaric+honour+killings/4442464/story.html?asid=d585aee4

Edited by Keepitsimple

The problem is , we canadians are sick and tired of the political correctness that has overtaken canada's left.

Well, the Canadian Left has long been beset by some foolish pc-speak, of course.

But, first of all, it's an extremely trivial matter.

And second of all, political correctness is by no means confined to to the Left.

Think Israel. And don't forget to Support the Troops while you're at it.

Edited by bloodyminded

Phhhbtt... big deal. I do believe we have much larger fish to fry than worrying about semantics. Whateve, 30 second distraction from all of the CPC boondoggles and schemes.

Shakey, for some people, it is a big deal. Trudeau is the immigration critic and if the Liberals win the next election no doubt he would be appointed Immigration Minister. Trudeau's comments offer insight into how he would portray/describe gender based violence to new and potential immigrants. If we are serious about these matters Canada must put its cards on the table in the strongest terms possible how we view these violations and that we will not tolerable them. Sorry, there's no room here for political correctness or softening the blow.

Another thing, why hasn't Trudeau spoken up before? The use of the term "barbaric" has apparently been used in previous editions of the Citizenship Guide.

Well, the Canadian Left has long been beset by some foolish pc-speak, of course.

But, first of all, it's an extremely trivial matter.

And second of all, political correctness is by no means confined to to the Left.

Think Israel. And don't forget to Support the Troops while you're at it.

And, believe it or not, I don't think this was genuine political correctness at all. Justin could have come out and pushed on the issue, brushed aside the semantics of the word 'barbaric,' and talked about the branding of large swaths of people as 'barbaric' by way of association with certain subcultural practices. As If WE are beholden as barbaric because some male biker gangs are known to gang bang some of their women for the fun of it.

But he quickly withdrew what appears to be a foot-in-mouth comment for political exigencies. Not only did he blow an opportunity, his inexperience showed. No doubt he had a quick call from Ignatieff over it too, I can hear it now, "Just one cotton-pickin' minute there Jus...er I mean, just one minute there Justin...."

No doubt he had a quick call from Ignatieff over it too, I can hear it now, "Just one cotton-pickin' minute there Jus...er I mean, just one minute there Justin...."

:lol:

---

Warren Kinsella, a self described buddy of his, was quick on the mark to criticize Trudeau over this.

And, believe it or not, I don't think this was genuine political correctness at all. Justin could have come out and pushed on the issue, brushed aside the semantics of the word 'barbaric,' and talked about the branding of large swaths of people as 'barbaric' by way of association with certain subcultural practices. As If WE are beholden as barbaric because some male biker gangs are known to gang bang some of their women for the fun of it.

But he quickly withdrew what appears to be a foot-in-mouth comment for political exigencies. Not only did he blow an opportunity, his inexperience showed. No doubt he had a quick call from Ignatieff over it too, I can hear it now, "Just one cotton-pickin' minute there Jus...er I mean, just one minute there Justin...."

Excellent points, as usual.

He apologized. The old man would have told the PMO to go fuddle off. :lol:

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!

(pssst, be politically correct, it's fuddleduddle off, you forgot the duddle ;) )

Trudeau as much as it's disturbs the unsophisticated masses was correct...we need to be culturally sensitive, we may not agree with another cultures practices but we still have to respect their beliefs regardless how abhorrent they are to us...as much as we all agree it's barbaric when you're trying to influence the practices of another culture calling them barbaric is counter productive...if you're negotiating a car purchase calling the salesman a thieving arsehole even if true is going to gain you what?...trudeau's error was saying something that most people will not comprehend...

Edited by wyly

“My problem with the use of the word barbaric is that it was chosen to reassure Canadians rather than actually change unacceptable behaviours,” he said.

“I suggested 'totally unacceptable' off the top of my head. Clear, strong, and objective, without being 'us civilized, you not.'

As I said before, I totally agree with Trudeau, and think that he's right on the mark, culture is culture, killing is killing, why mix up the two?

It is barbaric to kill anyone under any circumstance, that's what Trudeau said, don't define it to a culture lest something about YOUR culture, whatever it may be, becomes the subject of some form of discrimination...

we still have to respect their beliefs regardless how abhorrent they are to us...

WHY?

as much as we all agree it's barbaric when you're trying to influence the practices of another culture calling them barbaric is counter productive...

So they have easier time to blow us up?

Trudeau as much as it's disturbs the unsophisticated masses was correct...we need to be culturally sensitive, we may not agree with another cultures practices but we still have to respect their beliefs regardless how abhorrent they are to us...as much as we all agree it's barbaric when you're trying to influence the practices of another culture calling them barbaric is counter productive...if you're negotiating a car purchase calling the salesman a thieving arsehole even if true is going to gain you what?...trudeau's error was saying something that most people will not comprehend...

BS That is the perfect post on why this country is so fucked up.''we may not agree with another cultures practices but we still have to respect their beliefs regardless how abhorrent'' that line right there, just shows how fucked the so called sophisticated masse are. We don't need to do nothing but these people need to show us canadians respect when they enter our country, not the other way around. Just burns my butt when idiots in this country just bend over and take it and never say a word to the almighty immigrant., Come one come all and change this great country into a 3rd world country and us taxpayers will just put up with it and even pay for it. Lowell green's book mayday mayday should be read by every canadian ,if you are not afraid of the truth and see what is really going on in canada. So I take it you have no problem with honour killings, genital mutilation , forced marriages. Because it is going on big time in this country. Did you know that in BC chinese can not find out what their child is till after 21 weeks , so if it is a girl they can't abort it. How ugly is that ,that they had to make a law to protect them. God I wish people would take off the blinders and find out what uis really going on.

“My problem with the use of the word barbaric is that it was chosen to reassure Canadians rather than actually change unacceptable behaviours,” he said.

“I suggested 'totally unacceptable' off the top of my head. Clear, strong, and objective, without being 'us civilized, you not.'

As I said before, I totally agree with Trudeau, and think that he's right on the mark, culture is culture, killing is killing, why mix up the two?

It is barbaric to kill anyone under any circumstance, that's what Trudeau said, don't define it to a culture lest something about YOUR culture, whatever it may be, becomes the subject of some form of discrimination...

So eveybody can have a culture but english canadians?