International Pancake Day 2011

Today is Shrove Tuesday also known as Pancake Tuesday, Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras which marks the last day before the beginning of Lent. The object of the day was to rid the household of the items not used during the 40 days of fasting...milk, butter, suger, eggs... etc. It would have been normal 100 years ago for Catholics to give up meat (and often something else that would be missed) as an exercises in devotion. In England it was traditional to make shovecakes (pancakes). They would be eaten before going to mass to be shriven.

So tonight we have pancakes for dinner...and once again I will give up attending Women's Day activities....unless they are making pancakes.

Today is Shrove Tuesday also known as Pancake Tuesday, Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras which marks the last day before the beginning of Lent. The object of the day was to rid the household of the items not used during the 40 days of fasting...milk, butter, suger, eggs... etc. It would have been normal 100 years ago for Catholics to give up meat (and often something else that would be missed) as an exercises in devotion. In England it was traditional to make shovecakes (pancakes). They would be eaten before going to mass to be shriven.

So tonight we have pancakes for dinner...and once again I will give up attending Women's Day activities....unless they are making pancakes.

I dislike pancakes. Can I have waffles instead?

I love Shrove Tuesdays. On a seperate note though, what's with Women's Day? Don't they already have Mother's Day and Valentine's Day? How many more days to they need dedicated to them?

Mmmmmm...pancakes. Mmmmm...pancakes & chocolate chips w/ maple syrup. Mmmmm...pancakes & chocolate chips w/ maple syrup & bacon. Mmmmm...pancakes & chocolate chips w/ maple syrup & bacon & hash browns.

Oh, yeah...pass the ketchup.

:)

what's with Women's Day? Don't they already have Mother's Day and Valentine's Day? How many more days to they need dedicated to them?

In a way, it's a "litmus test" for the tolerance of womens rights. In some places in the middle east there are protests against it taking place today, as women struggle to get the same level of freedom, respect and dignity that's given to a man.

No doubt all those who find it irritating believe that women should stay home and do the cooking and cleaning. More pancakes for dancer and shady...

In a way, it's a "litmus test" for the tolerance of womens rights. In some places in the middle east there are protests against it taking place today, as women struggle to get the same level of freedom, respect and dignity that's given to a man.

Perhaps Shady should join the fundementalist protests in an attempt to put women back in their place....

I can understand the significance of it in other places around the world. But here, there's no need.

No doubt all those who find it irritating believe that women should stay home and do the cooking and cleaning. More pancakes for dancer and shady...

No, it's precisely because I view women as completely equal that I see this day as being ridiculous.

Come on, I know your wife said it was ok to miss, tell that truth.

I will pick up blueberries to go with the pancakes.Not one person should be using Aunt Jemima or Corn Syrup for their 'cakes either.

If out looking, grab Turkey Hill Maple Syrup #1 Llight, best in the world and consistent Gold Medal winner. My mother, all 83 yrs old will thank you. She spends 2 days a week on the road selling it amongst her other lines.

Available at Pusateri's and Mark McEwan's market.....bring you first born and leave it at the cashier.

This ends my blatant commercialization of this thread.