Conservative Majority?

wulf42

I think you're wrong... Which provinces? Could you run through them please...

West to east preferably... Or post the link...

Manitoba yes (NDP on the way out - MB Hydro Lines issue, fed. Cons could lose 2-3 in Wpg. if NDP don't kill Libs off in close races south and west like before), but I'm not sure that applies to Saskatchewan (probably but fed. potash issue may hurt them federally), BC (HST issue Harper forced open races), Ontario (HST issue Harper forced open races), certainly not Quebec, Maritimes (spotty at best)...

just sayin'

Instead of going East to West I will go most popular to least because it shows the point I was making Better.

Ordered by Approval Rating highest to lowest:

Sask Leader Brad Wall Approval 64% CONSERVATIVE

NFLD Leader Kathy Dunderdale Approval 55% CONSERVATIVE

NB Leader David Alward Approval 44% CONSERVATIVE

MN Leader Greg Selinger Approval 34% NDP

NS Leader Darrel Dexter Approval 26% NDP

AB Leader Ed Stelmach Approval 21% CONSERVATIVE

ON Leader Dalton McGuinty Approval 16% LIBERAL

BC Leader Gordon Cambell Approval 16% LIBERAL

QU Leader Jean Charest Approval 13% LIBERAL

Happy? Now you can see the Liberals all on the bottom. No one likes them. BTW it is a AR poll from yesterday.

Edited by punked

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak on the other provinces, but I can tell you unequivocally that David Alward has such a high approval because Shawn Graham messed up so badly on the NB Power deal with Quebec that he had to step down after being stomped in the polls. The NB Liberals are currently between leaders. In other words, although I'm not saying Alward doesn't deserve such a high approval rating, it is mostly a function of the province's current disapproval of the Liberals.

Edited by cybercoma

I can't speak on the other provinces, but I can tell you unequivocally that David Alward has such a high approval because Shawn Graham messed up so badly on the NB Power deal with Quebec that he had to step down after being stomped in the polls. The NB Liberals are currently between leaders. In other words, although I'm not saying Alward doesn't deserve such a high approval rating, it is mostly a function of the province's current disapproval of the Liberals.

I am just pointing out that the Liberal leaders right now are a huge drag on their Federal cousins who seem to be gunning for their worst result ever, partially because they are in charge of the big provinces in Canada and people don't like them there right now.

I am just pointing out that the Liberal leaders right now are a huge drag on their Federal cousins who seem to be gunning for their worst result ever, partially because they are in charge of the big provinces in Canada and people don't like them there right now.

This is all creating this perfect storm for a Tory Federal majority. It's certainly paving the way at the very least. Things don't look good for the Liberals be it Federal or Provincial.

In Ontario, I don't understand how Premier Dalton can possibly think he can win and election with a 16% approval rating. Ontario PC's should win easily. but they should've won easily last time but Tory screwed it all up so who knows in politics.

Edited by Mr.Canada

MN = Minnesota. Last I checked the NDP has never elected a Minnesota governor. Maybe you mean "MB"?

Isn't the BC Liberal Party actually an analog to the Federal CPC?

I'm not sure why people keep thinking British Columbians are so stupid that they think the BC Liberals and the Federal Liberals are affiliated. For the record, pretty much everyone in BC knows that the bulk of BC Liberals are very much on the Tory side of the equation. So Gordon Campbell's unpopularity (which is meaningless, because he won't even be Premier in a few days) has nothing to do with the popularity or unpopularity of any Federal Liberals in BC.

I'm not sure why people keep thinking British Columbians are so stupid that they think the BC Liberals and the Federal Liberals are affiliated. For the record, pretty much everyone in BC knows that the bulk of BC Liberals are very much on the Tory side of the equation. So Gordon Campbell's unpopularity (which is meaningless, because he won't even be Premier in a few days) has nothing to do with the popularity or unpopularity of any Federal Liberals in BC.

The popularity or unpopularity (:huh:) of any provincial party should have no bearing on federal politics. Everyone knows the provinces like to think and act as though they are sovereign. Well, everyone that has any knowledge of Canadian history. But that's the catch. People are largely ignorant of Canadian history and federal politics. Most Canadians don't even know what form of government we have.

Instead of going East to West I will go most popular to least because it shows the point I was making Better.

Ordered by Approval Rating highest to lowest:

Sask Leader Brad Wall Approval 64% CONSERVATIVE

NFLD Leader Kathy Dunderdale Approval 55% CONSERVATIVE

NB Leader David Alward Approval 44% CONSERVATIVE

NS Leader Darrel Dexter Approval 26% NDP

AB Leader Ed Stelmach Approval 21% CONSERVATIVE

ON Leader Dalton McGuinty Approval 16% LIBERAL

QU Leader Jean Charest Approval 13% LIBERAL

Happy? Now you can see the Liberals all on the bottom. No one likes them. BTW it is a AR poll from yesterday.

I think you need to show that poll to Layton, not me... :D If anyone will prevent an election this spring it will be him...

I personally would WELCOME an election this spring, preferrably during the coming flooding in Manitoba... I know Ignatieff wants it too... B)

How provincial dissatisfaction for a variety of reasons, but primarily the HST issue in Ontario and BC, which can be lain at the feet of Harper's CONS, will play out in a federal election remains to be seen...

It's the NDP that have the most to lose in the next election, NOT the Liberals as you seem to think... B)

Won't be long now until we see and all this round and round rhetoric will thankfully end...

"One reason people never attempt new things is their fear of failure."

By the time we get to an election Harper is going to have more problems. Foods prices are about to go up 5% to start and by the way it was told on TV, the prices are going to keep going up. People are just about had it with increase costs in hydro bills, taxes,GST,even to get your income tax done has gone up and now food. The Food Banks are screaming for donations now and what's going to happen when the people who were paying for their own food, have to turn to the food banks?

By the time we get to an election Harper is going to have more problems. Foods prices are about to go up 5% to start and by the way it was told on TV, the prices are going to keep going up. People are just about had it with increase costs in hydro bills, taxes,GST,even to get your income tax done has gone up and now food. The Food Banks are screaming for donations now and what's going to happen when the people who were paying for their own food, have to turn to the food banks?

Then there's the total disregard for the rules of parliament like TODAY when Kenney used his Government office letterheaded stationary for a party fundraising letter to ethnic voters in certain target ridings... A strict no no for any MP nevermind a Government Minister...

And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on, and on...

Edited by GWiz

I'm not sure why people keep thinking British Columbians are so stupid that they think the BC Liberals and the Federal Liberals are affiliated. For the record, pretty much everyone in BC knows that the bulk of BC Liberals are very much on the Tory side of the equation.

Even I know that and I don't live either in BC or anywhere in Canada.

Then there's the total disregard for the rules of parliament like TODAY when Kenney used his Government office letterheaded stationary for a party fundraising letter to ethnic voters in certain target ridings... A strict no no for any MP nevermind a Government Minister...

And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on, and on...

That might even be the fodder for a new thread (link).

I think you need to show that poll to Layton, not me... :D If anyone will prevent an election this spring it will be him...

I personally would WELCOME an election this spring, preferrably during the coming flooding in Manitoba... I know Ignatieff wants it too... B)

How provincial dissatisfaction for a variety of reasons, but primarily the HST issue in Ontario and BC, which can be lain at the feet of Harper's CONS, will play out in a federal election remains to be seen...

It's the NDP that have the most to lose in the next election, NOT the Liberals as you seem to think... B)

Won't be long now until we see and all this round and round rhetoric will thankfully end...

"One reason people never attempt new things is their fear of failure."

Ummmmm every Liberal in parliament voted for that HST increase so that traction aint going anywhere. The NDP really have 25 solid seats the Liberals right now only have 50 so it really is the Liberals with a Lot to lose.

Ummmmm every Liberal in parliament voted for that HST increase so that traction aint going anywhere. The NDP really have 25 solid seats the Liberals right now only have 50 so it really is the Liberals with a Lot to lose.

Its too bad for the liberals they don't have a layton type leader. I don't agree with him but I have to give props to his leadership capabilities. Had he been leading the liberals it would be a horse race.

Its too bad for the liberals they don't have a layton type leader. I don't agree with him but I have to give props to his leadership capabilities. Had he been leading the liberals it would be a horse race.

To each their own I guess, my wife dislikes Layton so much she switches channels if she sees his smug mug... Layton is an opportunistic creep that doesn't have an honest bone in his body... But that's just my opinion of the man... :P