Snow Day

They really do overhype these storms in terms of accumulations..However,I got up and watched the local news (CHCH) and decided after watching a few wipe outs on the Burlington Skyway,that it's best I don't make a go of it today...

I'll just work unpaid by shovelling snow later...

The media (as usual is making a big deal out it. Snow on the ground in southern Ontario...... is it really newsworthy or are the media simply using it to instill the kind of fear that keeps people glued to the TV and radio?

They have to come up with something to feed the 24hr news cycle....

Guest American Woman

The media (as usual is making a big deal out it. Snow on the ground in southern Ontario...... is it really newsworthy or are the media simply using it to instill the kind of fear that keeps people glued to the TV and radio?

You mean with alerts such as this?

WINTER STORMS CAN BE CONSIDERED DECEPTIVE KILLERS

NOW THAT THE MAIN AND LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS ARE BEGINNING TO TRANSITION EAST... IT CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH THAT A SILENT DANGER MAY LOOM.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR HOUSE TODAY, ASK YOURSELF---IS GETTING TO YOUR DESTINATION WORTH DYING FOR?

Sounds more like a bad creative writing assignment than a weather report.

I don't know if you can blame the media. Environment Canada predicted the same type of forecast. The media just relays the information. My guess is that they'd rather be wrong over-hyping something, than under-hyping and it being much worse than forecasted.

I don't know if you can blame the media. Environment Canada predicted the same type of forecast. The media just relays the information. My guess is that they'd rather be wrong over-hyping something, than under-hyping and it being much worse than forecasted.

I think over-hyping has the potential to be just as threatening to public safety as under-hyping if enough people get a sense Environment Canada is trying to be a little nannyish.

Weeks of gale warnings with mostly light winds can make anyone feel a little jaded, especially when they finally issue a storm warning and we finally get a gale. The sense that forecasters are nothing but 'weather liars' starts to grow slowly around the docks in a few minds, often amongst the tougher cockier ones that can handle themselves in a bit of weather, but then it grows and the more fair-weather minded become tempted to test their luck. Sure enough the fleet gets caught out in a real blow and the fair-weathered get a good reset and the hardier one's get a good laugh.

Sometimes though, I think people might also get hurt.