Why Does Sensationalism Improve Ratings ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does sensationalism improve ratings ?

Does it still ? Or are the demographics so narrow now that adding 'fluff' news will lose you another segment of your audience ?

Sensationalism works because the mundane does not move the meter...not for ratings....not for viewers...and most importantly, not for advertisers. We have devices now that can edit and compress away all the unwanted, boring media...better make it count or we'll change the channel.

I'll take OJ in a white Bronco any day over a fierce debate in Congress or Parliament.

Sensationalism works because the mundane does not move the meter...not for ratings....not for viewers...and most importantly, not for advertisers. We have devices now that can edit and compress away all the unwanted, boring media...better make it count or we'll change the channel.

I'll take OJ in a white Bronco any day over a fierce debate in Congress or Parliament.

Then you truly are a fool, a willing fool.

Then you truly are a fool, a willing fool.

Please explain...

I mean, do you think people wanting gossip is a phenomenon engineered by a sensationalistic news force or do you think it existed prior to sensational news which, by the way, has been around for a very long time?

You either think the people are getting what they want or you think there is this big conspiracy to get them to think what the corporations want.

Or is there some middle ground you are referring to?

OJ was on every channel though. The daily news is something else entirely.

That's my point...the very concept of "daily news" is an oxymoron. The format and content are obsolete. At least Fox and the Weather Channel hire attractive on-air talent to make it bearable! ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I believe people have been conditioned to give a certain response. Do this experiment yourself. Talk to some people, ask them two questions. Did you hear the latest about 'insert celebrity here'. And then ask, 'So what do you think of the Florida governor nulling Obama's health care bill? Note the responses.

Now ask if conditioning is not happening.

The circle of people I know care more about politics and than celebrities. If I asked them about the latest about some celebrity I'd receive a blank stare, whereas we had a lively debate about the Florida judge's ruling regarding health care yesterday.

That's my point...the very concept of "daily news" is an oxymoron. The format and content are obsolete. At least Fox and the Weather Channel hire attractive on-air talent to make it bearable! ;)

People and Bonham and myself want something else, clearly.

Not just a raging bonfire that shows us what is HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. But something to help us think about issues more.

I'm wondering if sensationalism will stop improving ratings at a certain point, and maybe if something for the Bonhams and Hardners would make money.

Not just a raging bonfire that shows us what is HAPPENING RIGHT NOW. But something to help us think about issues more.

I'm wondering if sensationalism will stop improving ratings at a certain point, and maybe if something for the Bonhams and Hardners would make money.

It's Bonam, not Bonham :) And I don't think a news source aimed at me would make much money, or at least very little, seeing as I am not willing to pay anything for it. I access almost exclusively free, online, sources of information (I do not have any TV subscriptions). Any revenue they could make from me would be based on google ads type systems.

It's Bonam, not Bonham :) And I don't think a news source aimed at me would make much money, or at least very little, seeing as I am not willing to pay anything for it. I access almost exclusively free, online, sources of information (I do not have any TV subscriptions). Any revenue they could make from me would be based on google ads type systems.

Do you have cable ? The cost of that is bundled into your monthly subscription rate for the most part.

The circle of people I know care more about politics and than celebrities. If I asked them about the latest about some celebrity I'd receive a blank stare, whereas we had a lively debate about the Florida judge's ruling regarding health care yesterday.

That is encouraging Bonam. I have a circle of friends that we talk about a lot of those things as well. The one thing I noticed is that more and more now are talking about important things. I hope that trend continues.

That's great....but not enough people will pay for that. "Firing Line" is long gone.

Not unless you can do it naked.

That's great....but not enough people will pay for that. "Firing Line" is long gone.

How many people pay for news today ? Aside from Naked News.

That isn't a model that anybody is considering, so...

Not unless you can do it naked.

I have a friend who used to read the news on Naked News. I never saw the news, but she was indeed lovely enough to have that job.

The trick is to build a whole new interactive news format based on web2.0 that gives people a lot of new capabilities, provides you tools for fact checking, and tools to easily pull down articles from a broad array of sources, and tools to rank sources based on how politicized they are, how many misstatements are attributed to them etc.

Its true that sensationalistic infotainment for retards like CNN and FOX has appeal, but interactive applications that give you a solid command of data are also popular (google, facebook, etc).

The trick is to build a whole new interactive news format based on web2.0 that gives people a lot of new capabilities, provides you tools for fact checking, and tools to easily pull down articles from a broad array of sources, and tools to rank sources based on how politicized they are, how many misstatements are attributed to them etc.

Its true that sensationalistic infotainment for retards like CNN and FOX has appeal, but interactive applications that give you a solid command of data are also popular (google, facebook, etc).

Hmmmm...

How about an interactive 'news session' with a live host that allows you to discuss issues one on one ?

Sounds like an interesting format.

OK...but that's just another medium. What you are proposing has been done for at least 35 years on AM radio. Guess which political demographic has been able to exploit it the most...and the least?

Wow my friend, amazing, that's absolutely SENSIBLE...

Here, allow me to answer...

Politically the RIGHT wins this one hands down

Radio - about 10 to 1 ratio of (mostly extreme to get the ratings) RIGHT WING rhetoric

TV - obvious, FOXNEWS aka faux news is the ratings and viewing winner

CNN #2 = Conservative News Network, although they try to hide it

Online - drudge report, as ONE example of hundreds of RIGHT WING sites is a shill for RIGHT WING

extreme view propaganda

In this race the left's horse has pulled up lame

....In this race the left's horse has pulled up lame

Agreed....Rush Limbaugh's show is the highest rated radio program in the USA....he also pulls ratings share in Canada.

Here's an example why:

http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_html/frugal-blog/frugal-cafe-blogzone/2010/08/20/masterful-rush-limbaugh-and-union-caller-from-canada-discuss-walmart-labor-unions-free-market-success/