The crisis in Egypt

GostHacked

There are definitely legitimate criticisms to be made of the US, I'll be the first to admit that, but there are also legitimate criticisms to be made of other countries, holier-than-thou countries, along with the United States -- and that's my point.

Absolutely...the US has made many mistakes and will continue to do so. And it is all hanging out there for the world to see...good and bad. But oh how some of these blokes hate having their noses rubbed in their own Canuck poop.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for being ignored...again.

I don't have you on ignore; you're useful comic relief, like the "Pyramus and Thisby" break in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream.

How much would it go down? Well, apparently American foreign aid to Egypt has been averaging about two billion dollars since 1979, all we need to do now is determine Egypt's average GDP during that time...

About the equivalent of Muslim countries' GDP ex-oil money and ex-foreign aid.

No no... hes not a typical yank at all. Hes as much of a sideshow freak in America as he is here. I assure you that youre typical American doesnt have an obsession with Canada that causes them to spend thousands of hours at a time trolling Canadian discussion forums.

Americans find him every bit as strange as we do.

As far as BC 2004 I gree with you totally. But the comment concerning Americans who post on Canadian boards is totally inappropriate.

As far as BC 2004 I gree with you totally. But the comment concerning Americans who post on Canadian boards is totally inappropriate.

Frankly, I wish there were many more Americans and other nationals on this forum to get an even broader perspective. I suspect the crybabies would just take their ball and go home.

About the equivalent of Muslim countries' GDP ex-oil money and ex-foreign aid.

What I meant was, we should see what proportion of Egypt's GDP is composed of American foreign aid. Specifically, we need to average that out over some time frame, let's take 1979 (the year Sadat and Begin signed the peace deal) as the starting point. I'd do the math, it's easy, but I just don't feel like it, right now.

Although unrelated to this thread, it'd be interesting (and MUCH more difficult) to see what proportion of the Palestinian economy is composed of foreign aid, and how that proportion has changed over time. I think as of now, fifty cents out of every dollar in the Palestinian economy is coming from foreign aid. And this is after DECADES of receiving many billions of dollars from many places... but that's a subject for another thread...

Edited by Bob

Frankly, I wish there were many more Americans and other nationals on this forum to get an even broader perspective. I suspect the crybabies would just take their ball and go home.

I agree, this board would benefit greatly from a broader slice of people out there - assuming they're intelligent enough.

I agree, this board would benefit greatly from a broader slice of people out there - assuming they're intelligent enough.

I work with many different nationals in the IT space, and to the person they have shared the frank admiration and compelling support for America if only for their own economic interest. Yes they have misgivings about some foreign and domestic American policies, but are congruent in reconciling this with their own objectives and policy challenges back home.

In other words, they have voted with their feet.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

And the Americans most certainly did fight tyranny...in spades.

TSA body scanners, invasive pat downs, Local police department using UAVs to spy on people. Would you recognize tyranny if you were living in it? Wake up dude. Welcome to the police state. You've already lost the battle against tyranny.

Let me add, NSA with google and such, using facebook and such as information gathering sites to keep tabs on you, warantless phone taps, ATT and the NSA with the 'listening' station that monitors all internet traffic within the US.

Put it all together.

Edited by GostHacked

I wish more Canadians were more aware and level-headed about these issues and didn't join the pathetic and infantile knee-jerk animosity of America that's common in Europe. This is also connected to a warped affinity that many Canadians hold for Europe, which is entirely founded on false illusions of what Europe is all about.

This picture that trolls like you, BC, and AW try to paint of Canadians isnt even true. Its a complete fabrication. Either its dishonesty on your part, or your perception has been shaped by a small number of people on political forums.

The reality is that this has been studied and Canada is one of the most "pro american" countries in the world. Your comparison between Canada and Anti American nations in Europe is quite frankly just horse shit.

A study on how people around the world view Americans found that...

2 of 3 Canadian respondents agreed with the statement "America is a force for good in the world."

More Canadians agreed with that statement than citizens of any other western country besides the US.

And when asked the question...

Do you have a favorable opinion of America?

Australia: 64%.

Brasil: 24% (So much for A-dubs fictious south america claims)

Canada: 81%.

France: 41%.

Israel: 72%.

Jordan: 19%.

Korea: 50%.

Russia: 48%.

UK: 75%.

USA: 93%.

More Canadians have a favorable opinion of America than any other country included in the poll INCLUDING Israel, and the UK.

In fact even citizens of the US only answered this question in the affirmative 12% more of the time than Canadians. Think about that for a second.

And when asked about unfavourable opinions?

Australia: 29%.

Brasil: 66% (Again... so much for A-dubs fictious south america claims)

Canada: 16%.

France: 51%.

Israel: 25%.

Jordan: 79%.

Korea: 22%.

Russia: 28%.

UK: 19%.

USA: 5%.

Less Canadians have an unfavorable view of the US than in any other country in the survey.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/america/finaldata.pdf

Your entire meme is nothing but a bogus sham.

Im hoping, now that we have established that this entire line of conversation is predicated apon a bogus pretense that you guys fabricated because you have some wierd and morbid fascination with Canada, that we can actually talk about the fuckin subject at hand here...

The Crisis in Egypt

Edited by dre

TSA body scanners, invasive pat downs, Local police department using UAVs to spy on people. Would you recognize tyranny if you were living in it? Wake up dude. Welcome to the police state. You've already lost the battle against tyranny.

Any or all of that does not change the history of the American republic and battles long over against tyranny. There are more dead Americans in Europe than dead Canadians.

You think a poll will make me rethink the experiences I've have on the matter throughout my whole life in Canada? I'm a political person, I have been having these sorts of conversations my whole life. I've consumed so much media (newspapers, "academic" articles, lectures, television, etc) over the course of my life, that I'm almost embarrassed to admit it.

A poll you post in here doesn't override what I've learned, which is that anti-American sentiment is very common in Canada at all levels. I didn't say Canada is like Europe with respect to its anti-American sentiment, but I've had plenty of experiences where I saw the same type of simplistic and stupid rhetoric coming from Canadian sources. What I was getting at is that there are commonalities.

It's hilarious how you think you can link us to a poll and claim, "Haha! I win!". Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

...A poll you post in here doesn't override what I've learned, which is that anti-American sentiment is very common in Canada at all levels. I didn't say Canada is like Europe with respect to its anti-American sentiment, but I've had plenty of experiences where I saw the same type of simplistic and stupid rhetoric coming from Canadian sources. What I was getting at is that there are commonalities.

You are on solid ground....my adventures have revealed the same. Anti-American sentiment waxes and wanes with predictable regularity. I see it in my business, and it has levels of severity based on the region in Canada. I for one think it is healthy just for the sake of developing a real Canadian identity instead of !=American.

The poll actually confirms some of my intuition. A large number of Canadians actually say, "America scares me" (35%) and “America now feels it is the only superpower in the world and they can do what they like” (64%).

32% of Canadians disagree with the statement that "America is a force for good in the world".

Anyways, who really gives a damn about this poll, anyways? I've given it more time than it deserves. The poll just reinforces what a lot of us already know - that a significant portion of Canadians have ignorant misconceptions about and animosity towards America.

Well the stuff in Lebanon is also important as well. People are getting sick of dictators and tyranny. When you lose everything, you lose it. But it is correct, the other stuff is more important because of this occurrence.

Lebanon has been unstable for a decade, though. This popping up during what's happening in Egypt is a coincidence.

All excellent points...I guess it is OK for America to forge such economic and military relationships with Canada, but not Arab states?

Not when doing so makes our governments start to behave like theirs.

Judging by the company they like to keep, our countries governments and corporations have been racing to the bottom a lot longer than our people have.

Edited by eyeball

You are on solid ground....my adventures have revealed the same. Anti-American sentiment waxes and wanes with predictable regularity. I see it in my business, and it has levels of severity based on the region in Canada. I for one think it is healthy just for the sake of developing a real Canadian identity instead of !=American.

The worst anti-American sentiments comes from Quebec, partly because they are the most ignorant about American politics (lack of interest and/or language barrier and/or prejudice towards English). I actually should give dre some credit, because some of the questions in the poll are interesting. Although the answers, almost always, are unsurprising. Consider this - 37% of Canadians consider America to be the greatest threat to world security. How about these ones - 48% of Canadians don't think that others countries should aspire to the economic opportunities America affords its population, and 59% of Canadians don't think other countries should aspire to American standards of freedom of expression? It's pathetic... but unsurprising.

You think a poll will make me rethink the experiences I've have on the matter throughout my whole life in Canada? I'm a political person, I have been having these sorts of conversations my whole life. I've consumed so much media (newspapers, "academic" articles, lectures, television, etc) over the course of my life, that I'm almost embarrassed to admit it.

A poll you post in here doesn't override what I've learned, which is that anti-American sentiment is very common in Canada at all levels. I didn't say Canada is like Europe with respect to its anti-American sentiment, but I've had plenty of experiences where I saw the same type of simplistic and stupid rhetoric coming from Canadian sources. What I was getting at is that there are commonalities.

It's hilarious how you think you can link us to a poll and claim, "Haha! I win!". Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is?

Whats hilarious is that you try to project your personal and anecdotal experiences on 30 million people when you probably havent even met 100 of them. A child in elementary school understands by grade 3 that such a projection is unscientific, fallacious, and completely undependable and without meaning.

The rest of your post is just more Argument Ad Verecundium. Its nothing but logical fallacy, and you trying to win an argument by trumpeting yourself as authority based on "having some conversations" :lol:

I've had plenty of experiences where I saw the same type of simplistic and stupid rhetoric coming from Canadian sources.

OF COURSE!!! 5% of Canadians have a "very unfavorable" opinion of America! Thats hundreds of thousands of people. Some of them are probably here right now! But this has nothing to do with the fact they are Canadian. Youll find those same people in Australia, Brazil, France, Indonesia, Israel, Jordan, Korea, Russia, and the UK, and youll find them there in HIGHER NUMBERS on a per capita basis.

It's as if dre think that somehow this poll will make me reconsider the thousands of hours of experience I've had that have shaped my understanding of Canadian political culture. What does he think, that I've read the same author in the same newspaper my whole life, and only spoken to my father about politics? Too funny.

Even funnier is that the poll reaffirms, in several ways, what many of us have known to be true for many years.

Whats hilarious is that you try to project your personal and anecdotal experiences on 30 million people when you probably havent even met 100 of them. A child in elementary school understands by grade 3 that such a projection is unscientific, fallacious, and completely undependable and without meaning.

The rest of your post is just more Argument Ad Verecundium. Its nothing but logical fallacy, and you trying to win an argument by trumpeting yourself as authority based on "having some conversations" :lol:

It's not just the endless conversations. It's the books, the newspapers, the TV shows, the academic articles, the movies, the radio shows, the political cartoons, the university lectures, the statements from our politicians... It's called life experience. Moreover, the poll you link doesn't contradict positions I've held regarding anti-American sentiment that isn't uncommon among Canadians.

Edited by Bob

:lol::lol::lol:

Guest American Woman

It's as if dre think that somehow this poll will make me reconsider the thousands of hours of experience I've had that have shaped my understanding of Canadian political culture.

What else can you expect from someone who uses poll results from Brazil to counter claims I have no idea that I've made about South America? I have to wonder if he truly believes Brazil speaks for all of South America; I can't imagine why he would otherwise be projecting results from Brazil on all of South America. A child in elementary school understands by grade 3 that such a projection is unscientific, fallacious, and completely undependable and without meaning.

It's as if dre think that somehow this poll will make me reconsider the thousands of hours of experience I've had that have shaped my understanding of Canadian political culture. What does he think, that I've read the same author in the same newspaper my whole life, and only spoken to my father about politics? Too funny.

I don't know why he tries so hard to hide the obvious...it is what it is. And it predates Bush Derangement Syndrome by many years. Usually I get the "We don't hate Americans, just their government" routine, which is just foreplay for a lot of things they "hate" about Americans too. This is often followed by erroneous Mapleleaf flag and backpack stories.