Asia... and America

About 20 years ago, everyone said the same of Japan that they now say of China.

Japan was buying America, and Japan would dominate the world.

In the 1980s, American management books were based on the "Japanese model". Or something.

The recent American state dinner for the President of China once again got me thinking about their unequal/unfair currency and trade practices.
If the Chinese want to sell us stuff below cost, then North Americans would be foolish to refuse it.

In other circumstances, this is considered slavery and when this happened, people said that the West was exploiting others. Now, the Chinese (Japanese before) are lowering prices, selling themselves cheap, and this supposedly harms America. WTF?

For some, it seems that whatever Americans do, Americans are wrong. And whatever Asians do, they win. Or something.

Edited by August1991

Hmmm...not sure why you are parsing this just for Asia. Canada and Mexico have played this same game with labor and/or resources. America is a dynamic marketplace, not a museum piece in need of protection. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I mean...you've said it yourself before...the Americans have no one else to go crying to for help.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

About 20 years ago, everyone said the same of Japan that they now say of China.

Japan was buying America, and Japan would dominate the world.

In the 1980s, American management books were based on the "Japanese model". Or something.

If the Chinese want to sell us stuff below cost, then North Americans would be foolish to refuse it.

In other circumstances, this is considered slavery and when this happened, people said that the West was exploiting others. Now, the Chinese (Japanese before) are lowering prices, selling themselves cheap, and this supposedly harms America. WTF?

For some, it seems that whatever Americans do, Americans are wrong. And whatever Asians do, they win. Or something.

The problem here is when you say the Chinese, Japanese or Americans exploit, or sell their country cheap etc, I think it needs to be made clear exactly which Chinese, Japanese or Americans. You make it sound like this is a collective decision all of them made when it's mostly just a few people in the top sliver of humanity that currently owns much of the world.

In the case of China and America it's probably just as accurate to say much of the current exploitation is due to Americans that sold out their own country and moved to China.

Hmmm...not sure why you are parsing this just for Asia. Canada and Mexico have played this same game with labor and/or resources. America is a dynamic marketplace, not a museum piece in need of protection. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I mean...you've said it yourself before...the Americans have no one else to go crying to for help.

Actually America has been getting all kinds of help. It is the biggest recipient of financial aid in the history of the human race, and those other countries youre talking about have been underwriting the American way of life for about 30 years. America has had more help from other nations than ANYBODY.

Actually America has been getting all kinds of help. It is the biggest recipient of financial aid in the history of the human race, and those other countries youre talking about have been underwriting the American way of life for about 30 years. America has had more help from other nations than ANYBODY.

Sure they have...more than ANYBODY ELSE. We'll just forget about the American side of the story for the HUMAN RACE. LOL!

Sure they have...more than ANYBODY ELSE. We'll just forget about the American side of the story for the HUMAN RACE. LOL!

What a dopey post. Youre building a strawman here, and answering my post as if Id claimed America never did anything good for the human race. Thats nothing short of intellectual dishonestly. YOU were the one that claimed it was a one-way street and that America couldnt get help from anybody. I just pointed out that your statement was objectively bogus and false.

7 trillion dollars in bailouts is an awful LOT of help... I dont remember any other country every getting this kind of assistance from the global community.

What a dopey post. Youre building a strawman here, and answering my post as if Id claimed America never did anything good for the human race. Thats nothing short of intellectual dishonestly. YOU were the one that claimed it was a one-way street and that America couldnt get help from anybody. I just pointed out that your statement was objectively bogus and false.

No...you jumped on your usual Nixon shock erection for America, devoid of the context that another member set many months ago. You entered on the ass end of this discussion continuum.

7 trillion dollars in bailouts is an awful LOT of help... I dont remember any other country every getting this kind of assistance from the global community.

You don't remember a lot of things.

Edited by bush_cheney2004