Threats block anti-Iran movie screening

Shwa

From the Sun:

OTTAWA – A suspicious package and a rash of phone calls threatening protests shut down the planned screening of an anti-Iran documentary at Library and Archives Canada Tuesday night.

Iran’s embassy in Ottawa had tried to censor the film, Iranium, by complaining to the national library, which cancelled it until Canadian Heritage Minister James Moore stepped in.

But after library officials fielded calls they say threatened protests, they reversed course again and re-cancelled the event just hours before it was due to start...

So this is what? A quick call from the Iranian Embassy and all of a sudden free speech is disallowed in Ottawa? I am thankful we take our domestic policy clues from the Iranians, with their wonderful track record and all.

Now, if the film was a simple hate piece, I can see some merit to looking into it, but this is a stretch.

So this is what? A quick call from the Iranian Embassy and all of a sudden free speech is disallowed in Ottawa?

That's not what the article says. At least how i read it. Its says that "A suspicious package and a rash of phone calls threatening protests shut down the planned screening of an anti-Iran documentary at Library and Archives Canada Tuesday night."

The suspicious package was of letters that brought in the police/fire dept. The article did not say who the calls were from that threatened protests, but it seems like they were anonymous. It certainly doesn't say anywhere that the calls were from the Iranian Embassy, though Moore was implying that maybe the Embassy officials had something to do with all of this (aka a conspiracy).

I can see why the film was shut down. There was a credible threat to security with the suspicious package. However, it still isnt right that this was shut down and they should air the film again in a few days. Anyone who wants to protest peacefully is fine to do so, but these other belligerents can go to hell. The film should be aired.

That's not what the article says. At least how i read it. Its says that "A suspicious package and a rash of phone calls threatening protests shut down the planned screening of an anti-Iran documentary at Library and Archives Canada Tuesday night."

The suspicious package was of letters that brought in the police/fire dept. The article did not say who the calls were from that threatened protests, but it seems like they were anonymous. It certainly doesn't say anywhere that the calls were from the Iranian Embassy, though Moore was implying that maybe the Embassy officials had something to do with all of this (aka a conspiracy).

Ah, but you see, I didn't specify who the quick call from the Iranian Embassy was to.

I can see why the film was shut down. There was a credible threat to security with the suspicious package. However, it still isnt right that this was shut down and they should air the film again in a few days. Anyone who wants to protest peacefully is fine to do so, but these other belligerents can go to hell. The film should be aired.

Agreed, but it is bothersome that the chose to shut the screening down in the face of threats.

From the Sun:

So this is what? A quick call from the Iranian Embassy and all of a sudden free speech is disallowed in Ottawa? I am thankful we take our domestic policy clues from the Iranians, with their wonderful track record and all.

Now, if the film was a simple hate piece, I can see some merit to looking into it, but this is a stretch.

You'll note the screening is back on because the Harper government ordered the Library to show the film.