'Christmas is evil': Muslim group launches poster campaign aga

scribblet

I don't subscribe to it on a general historical basis, but rather I am convinced that so long as our civilization continues to exist, technological progress will continue (and will accelerate). And, my point of view is that the primary and overwhelming driver of societal change at this point in human history is technological progress, overshadowing all other factors. Many of my arguments are rooted in this point, which most people seem to ignore in their discussions of politics.

Barring some global catastrophe, every indication does seem to be towards exponential technological progress, I agree. Or even with a catastrophe it could occur, after an historically brief interregnum.

That is, even if we started from scratch, we already have a technological knowledge base that our ancestors didn't have.

I don't subscribe to it on a general historical basis, but rather I am convinced that so long as our civilization continues to exist, technological progress will continue (and will accelerate). And, my point of view is that the primary and overwhelming driver of societal change at this point in human history is technological progress, overshadowing all other factors. Many of my arguments are rooted in this point, which most people seem to ignore in their discussions of politics.

Perhaps "most people" aren't interested in a technocracy or the mad ramblings of the technocrat. As for technology being the overwhelming driver or societal change, perhaps a driver, but hasn't quite yet overshadowed moral thinking. Until science can prove morality and develop a high-functioning neural network, all the tools in the world are mere artefacts in a 100 years. Of those times, technology says nothing.

But I do hope they develop the technology to allow me to find out. :D

Funny, exactly the thing I would say to all those crack pots who believe there is "an attack on Christmas".

Sorry, but the ads calling Christmas a myth are very real. And so is the animosity behind them.

“If the religious right wants a war on Christmas, this is what they’re going to get,” he said. “If they want a war on Christmas, we’re going to make sure they know what one looks like.”

Link

Sounds like American Atheists President David Silverman definitely thinks it's a war on Christmas. :)

Sorry, but the ads calling Christmas a myth are very real. And so is the animosity behind them.

Many do believe it's a myth, what is wrong with that?

Sounds like American Atheists President David Silverman definitely thinks it's a war on Christmas. :)

Isn't he responding to the belief/statements from the religious right there is in fact a war on Christmas?

Many do believe it's a myth, what is wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with believing that.

Isn't he responding to the belief/statements from the religious right there is in fact a war on Christmas?

Yes, but he specifically states that those are his intentions. To foment a war on Christmas.

There's nothing wrong with believing that.

Yes, but he specifically states that those are his intentions. To foment a war on Christmas.

Funny how the statement previous to his quote puts it in context...

The $20,000 campaign, sponsored by a national organization called American Atheists, is timed to preempt annual accusations that liberal groups are waging war on Christmas by asking church adherents to question their holiday traditions, American Atheists President David Silverman said.