Ottawa to Close 4 Embassies in Africa

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP title is misleading. The head line implies that ottawa will close the missions.

Actually as written in the story, Ottawa is considering, and that no decision has been announced.

no points for partisan hackery

its getting kind of typical isn't morris.

Whether I vote in companies or not, it doesn't change the fact that companies there make boatloads of money.

You said we, as if you have a personal stake or make business decisions about the topic. I don't think you do, i think you are being disingenuous. Considering you can't even acknowledge that companies base foreign investment decisions on their risk assessment of the region.

Don't act as if you knew it all along. These stories are leaked to the press by the government. Just like the government is only "considering" staying in Afghanistan militarily.

The Globe and Mail article title "Ottawa mulls closing some embassies in Africa" that you linked to.

Your thread title "Ottawa to Close 4 Embassies in Africa".

Do you see a difference? I'll bold it for you, since you don't seem to pick up on these things.

As morris said and what I was agreeing to in regard to you "no points for partisan hackery".

The Globe and Mail article title "Ottawa mulls closing some embassies in Africa" that you linked to.

Your thread title "Ottawa to Close 4 Embassies in Africa".

Do you see a difference? I'll bold it for you, since you don't seem to pick up on these things.

As morris said and what I was agreeing to in regard to you "no points for partisan hackery".

Considering the past history of the government, why wouldn't the government follow through?

Ottawa has already closed several embassies and consulates in Africa in recent years, including those in Malawi, Gabon, Guinea and Cape Town, South Africa. If the latest cuts are approved, it would leave Canada with embassies in less than one-third of Africa’s 53 countries. Brazil, by comparison, has embassies in about half of Africa’s countries.

“No doubt that we are witnessing an ‘out of Africa’ strategy,” he said. “We’d be cutting more and more of the bridges between Africa and ourselves. It would cause doubts about Canada’s declarations of friendship to Africa.”

For Punked.

Even without the cuts, Canada’s embassies in Africa have been hit with increased workloads because of the earlier embassy shutdowns. Investors have complained that Canada has no embassies or trade offices in fast-growing, resource-rich countries such as Angola.

Considering the past history of the government, why wouldn't the government follow through?

For Punked.

Yah that statement means nothing to me. Of course a shut down or a cut would mean more work for those who are there, never said it wouldn't but that is the reality of todays world. The employees of the Canadian government have to get better at what they do because their isn't more money.

Yah that statement means nothing to me. Of course a shut down or a cut would mean more work for those who are there, never said it wouldn't but that is the reality of todays world. The employees of the Canadian government have to get better at what they do because their isn't more money.

You ignored the second sentence

Investors have complained that Canada has no embassies or trade offices in fast-growing, resource-rich countries such as Angola.

You ignored the second sentence

Yep people who invest and do business in Africa are going to complain when you move resources out of Africa. Those who do business in Asia are going to be happy when you move resources into Asia the question really is where do we need the resources? Like I said we need them in Asia where they want our stuff not in Africa where they don't. Or find the money and keep them both. The important thing here though is Liberals find the money before they start talking about spending it otherwise it is just more on the debt.

Yep people who invest and do business in Africa are going to complain when you move resources out of Africa. Those who do business in Asia are going to be happy when you move resources into Asia the question really is where do we need the resources? Like I said we need them in Asia where they want our stuff not in Africa where they don't. Or find the money and keep them both. The important thing here though is Liberals find the money before they start talking about spending it otherwise it is just more on the debt.

Out of curiosity, why is it always the Liberals fault? It's the government that's making the decision. If you're really for keeping the embassies open, why not ask them to come up with the money? Do you hate the Liberals so bad that you'll cut off your nose to spite your face by jumping in bed with the CPC?

No, since the Canadian Government is thinking of doing something they've done before makes it that much more likely.

But you do not have the right to claim it has been done, since ottawa is still mulling it over. You seem to have a real problem distinguishing between speculation and fact. As you have proven in this thread (and others) you believe that nicky's speculation is fact.

Out of curiosity, why is it always the Liberals fault? It's the government that's making the decision. If you're really for keeping the embassies open, why not ask them to come up with the money? Do you hate the Liberals so bad that you'll cut off your nose to spite your face by jumping in bed with the CPC?

Unlike the liberal thinking (I suspect and you can correct me on this punked),that punked and others understand that you can't be all things to everyone.

Who or when have the Liberals trying to be all things to everyone?

Do you read the news?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-reading/brian-topp/contradictions-and-explanations/article1513178/

We are offered the "only progressive alternative to the Harper government" – that supports all of Mr. Harper's key policies.

We are offered the only environmental crusader – who supports unlimited development in the tar sands. The only crusader for peace – who supported the Iraq war. The only advocate for ordinary families–- who believes all of the federal government's net financial flexibility should be spent on tax cuts for wealthy individuals and profitable corporations, rendering all other commitments either impossible or fiscally reckless. The only crusader for human rights – who supported torture (making it awkward to assail the Harper government for conduct towards enemy combatants that you actively supported at the time). The only person who truly believes the Harper government is the worst thing to ever to happen to Canada – and whose single accomplishment in five years or so of public life was a fateful decision to maintain Stephen Harper in office.

There are explanations for all of these contradictions. But as every young Saskatchewan CCF-New Democrat is told in their first days in the marble palace (aka the Legislature in Regina): when you're explaining, you're losing.

This isn't news. It's an op-ed filled with an ad-hominem attack from a Dipper who has the luxury to be able to call out Ignatieff because they know they'll never have to back up what they say. Politics is politics.