Rick Sanchez Fired

Smallc

:)

About time. he had no business being on TV.

CNN was right though, I think:

"I'm telling you that everyone who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority?" Sanchez said, adding a sarcastic "Yeah."

"I can't see someone not getting a job these days because they're Jewish," he said.

CBC Story

Edited by Smallc

BM and SC...

Those would be ok reasons to fire him. I dont watch the guy... I dont even have cable TV (been clean for almost a year now!).

But firing him for daring to question a groups status as an oppressed minority is NOT a good reason.

No, I would agree.

I was thinking more of his frat-boy-trying-to-serious persona; or of his responding (without a hint of irony), to a guest who mentioned temperature in degrees Celsius: "In English, please?"

:)

• 1 month later...

It's borderline to make not-so-subtle generalizations about Jewish people in America being privileged. I've been attacked three time in Canada as a youth because I was Jewish, once having my nose broken and another time having my teeth broken. Anti-semitism is very real in many places in North America. Jewish success doesn't change this reality. Sanchez made some simplistic statements implying that somehow it's a grind to grow up as a Hispanic, and not as a Jew. As if ignorance of non-Hispanics towards Hispanics doesn't also come from non-Jews towards Jews (as Sanchez ironically illustrates).

The interview with Rick Sanchez, however, really displayed a lot of his insecurity. Why get all worked up over a moron like Jon Stewart harassing you on his show that targets teenagers?

Still, as an anchor, I found Sanchez to be alright. He may not be the brightest candle on the menorah, but he's just a television news anchor: what'd you expect?

I think Jon Stewart sucks.

Here's the full interview:

It's borderline to make not-so-subtle generalizations about Jewish people in America being privileged.

I'm inclined to agree. It's not that it's blatant anti-semitism, but it is often an aspect of some sort of strange resentment, ill-considered, related to the notion that "Jews are good with money," which sometimes (though not always) translates, or at least leads, into the "Jews are greedy" theme. It can also be sometimes related to the "all-powerful Jew" idea, or that "Jews rule the globe through finance," and so on.

I can see why a person might claim I'm making quite a leap here, but I'd counter this claim in two ways: first, anyone who is aware of the ravings of Jew-haters will instantly recognize what I've just posited; and second, I'm qualifying my statements: I'm not claiming that Sanchez is an anti-semite.

The interview with Rick Sanchez, however, really displayed a lot of his insecurity. Why get all worked up over a moron like Jon Stewart harassing you on his show that targets teenagers?

The show has a large demographic of young men and women; but it doesn't target teenagers.

I'm inclined to agree. It's not that it's blatant anti-semitism, but it is often an aspect of some sort of strange resentment, ill-considered, related to the notion that "Jews are good with money," which sometimes (though not always) translates, or at least leads, into the "Jews are greedy" theme. It can also be sometimes related to the "all-powerful Jew" idea, or that "Jews rule the globe through finance," and so on.

I can see why a person might claim I'm making quite a leap here, but I'd counter this claim in two ways: first, anyone who is aware of the ravings of Jew-haters will instantly recognize what I've just posited; and second, I'm qualifying my statements: I'm not claiming that Sanchez is an anti-semite.

The show has a large demographic of young men and women; but it doesn't target teenagers.

I agree, it's not inherently anti-Semitic, and in my heart of hearts I don't think Rick Sanchez is an anti-Semite. At the same time, it's no secret that the Jewish community is well-represented with respect to positive social barometers. Rick Sanchez more than likely is familiar with this, as after all, he works in media (where Jews make up a larger portion of the workforce than our total proportion of the population) and lived and worked in Miami (a major hub of Jewish life in America) for many years.

If we're being completely honest, Jews, when compared to broader population, tend to do well with respect to education and income. We also have lower rates of negative social measurements such as dropping out of high-school, drug abuse, and criminal behaviour. Sometimes I think we're too sensitive about recognizing and openly stating this, perhaps for fear of feeding some well-known anti-Semitic stereotypes which you mentioned above. I feel that if managed properly, though, these truths and statistics about us can be leveraged in a positive way and be something that we can be proud of outside of the dinner table, in order to build more bridges between us and everyone else. Shouldn't multicultural and diverse countries like the USA and Canada admire and appreciate Jewish integration? You'd think so...

With respect to The Daily Show, I find it intellectually and increasingly left-wing and preachy as time goes on. Although I was exaggerating by stating it caters to teenagers, I don't think The Daily Show is particularly appealing to those who are well-versed in politics. I'm really not a big fan of Jon Stewart or his opinions, either (isn't that obvious?). Or should I say Jonathan Leibowitz.

I agree, it's not inherently anti-Semitic, and in my heart of hearts I don't think Rick Sanchez is an anti-Semite.

I don't think so either; and I imagine the very idea was upsetting to him.

At the same time, it's no secret that the Jewish community is well-represented with respect to positive social barometers. Rick Sanchez more than likely is familiar with this, as after all, he works in media (where Jews make up a larger portion of the workforce than our total proportion of the population) and lived and worked in Miami (a major hub of Jewish life in America) for many years.

If we're being completely honest, Jews, when compared to broader population, tend to do well with respect to education and income. We also have lower rates of negative social measurements such as dropping out of high-school, drug abuse, and criminal behaviour.

This certainly appears to be the case.

Sometimes I think we're too sensitive about recognizing and openly stating this, perhaps for fear of feeding some well-known anti-Semitic stereotypes which you mentioned above.

No doubt, and I think non-Jews can sympathize. Years ago, a friend of mine (one of the least bigoted fellows one could hope to meet) remarked to me about the accomplishments of so many Jews, in the arts, in the sciences. He strated naming them. My knee-jerk reaction was unease, even though I knew he was right. I don't like the idea of being considered, or suspected, an anti-semite, and this sensitivity can reach almost humorous extremes.

On an episode of the much under-appreciated comedy, "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia," the gang is trying to decode when the word "Jew" is pejorative or not; they come to no satisfying conclusions. ("Whoa! You dropped a hard "J" there, brother!"....."No, no, I was thinking about the context earlier, and it's ok...." :) )

With respect to The Daily Show, I find it intellectually and increasingly left-wing and preachy as time goes on. Although I was exaggerating by stating it caters to teenagers, I don't think The Daily Show is particularly appealing to those who are well-versed in politics.

Well, I don't know. I agree it's far from sophisticated discourse, but it's at least as smart as literally anything you'll find on television. Perhaps that's a low standard...but how is "The Mclaughlin Group" or the FOX or MSNBC pundits smarter and more insightful? They're simply not.