Gun Control

Winnipeg was not urban when I hitch hiked though it back in 1969 - It consisted of one grey wind blown street- Much like old Dodge city but without people - I could swear it was a ghost town...What was the name of that main drag? Oh yah - Portage La Prarie of something..that's about as urban as Yellowknife.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and that, despite all the ranting on both sides, people can't seem to understand that the single biggest opposition to the registry has basically nothing to do with guns.

"Search and seizure without warrant." The only reason I won't register any of mine. Right now, they need reasonable grounds to enter my premises. Not that I have anything to hide (except unregistered firearms), but I won't give them open access without permission.

Strikes me as hilarious that the people who scream about Harper and his boys and girls being jackboot freaks, are the same ones in support of the system that allows search and seizure without warrant.

More mythology

Winnipeg was not urban when I hitch hiked though it back in 1969 - It consisted of one grey wind blown street- Much like old Dodge city but without people - I could swear it was a ghost town...What was the name of that main drag? Oh yah - Portage La Prarie of something..that's about as urban as Yellowknife.

I have lived here all my life and will indicate you are dead wrong. At the time you say you passed through Winnipeg it was the fourth largest city in Canada. Nice try though.

I have lived here all my life and will indicate you are dead wrong. At the time you say you passed through Winnipeg it was the fourth largest city in Canada. Nice try though.

Toronto the good was in full swing at that time. You could take a nap on the corner and you would be safe. Winnipeg always struck me as a place full of blue collar third generation Ukrainians along with some wandering natives here and there...no insult but the place just felt like it was left behind or something.

Toronto the good was in full swing at that time. You could take a nap on the corner and you would be safe. Winnipeg always struck me as a place full of blue collar third generation Ukrainians along with some wandering natives here and there...no insult but the place just felt like it was left behind or something.

That is because Winnipeg has a large Ukranian as well as Polish population. Many of these people came from what was then known as Austria-Hungary and primarily from Galicia and Bukovina prior to the First World War. I am third a third generation Ukrainian. My dad was a businessman and my grandfather was a housebuilder here in Winnipeg.

Guest Derek L

and that, despite all the ranting on both sides, people can't seem to understand that the single biggest opposition to the registry has basically nothing to do with guns.

"Search and seizure without warrant." The only reason I won't register any of mine. Right now, they need reasonable grounds to enter my premises. Not that I have anything to hide (except unregistered firearms), but I won't give them open access without permission.

Strikes me as hilarious that the people who scream about Harper and his boys and girls being jackboot freaks, are the same ones in support of the system that allows search and seizure without warrant.

Good point, and to add to it, how many people registered all of their guns?

Guest Derek L

I appreciate the manner in which you have approached this issue and am prepared to admit that, the gun registry aside, hunting as a passtime and with the caveats you have described is fine with me. However I can't for the life of me understand why anyone with no criminal intent would object to registration and that includes long guns. Notwithstanding the startup cost of the registry the essential mechanism is in place and in my view it ought to remain so. Whether or not the registry has produced tangible results is a matter of opinion.

That’s a blanket statement, most long gun owners (Myself included) look at it as a major pain in the ass and a major expense with no return on investment………How many of those gang murders over in Winnipeg where committed with registered hunting rifles?

Guest Peeves

Well, for starters, it tells police when there is a buildup of weapons. Secondly, the registry helps to solve crime, as can be seen in the Mayerthorpe Incident.

It tells the police about 'registered' guns, not the illegal ones that a criminal will certainly not have registered. Therefore it serves very little purpose

That is because Winnipeg has a large Ukranian as well as Polish population. Many of these people came from what was then known as Austria-Hungary and primarily from Galicia and Bukovina prior to the First World War. I am third a third generation Ukrainian. My dad was a businessman and my grandfather was a housebuilder here in Winnipeg.

You were first wave Slavonic. My parents came out of Berlin and then into England . Dad was a Red Army Captain - Russian - Family had settled just north of the Mongolian boarder..My mother was from the Ukraine - I have been in Canada all my life. My dad was a builder also - as was my sister and one of my younger brothers. The oldest sibling went the formal route and became a chemist - who married a wealthy Ukrainian farmers daughter..I was the freak who entered the arts - I remember the old ones - the musice - the food ...now the culture is gone and my kids have little knowledge of it other than memories of BABA when they were kids.

You were first wave Slavonic. My parents came out of Berlin and then into England . Dad was a Red Army Captain - Russian - Family had settled just north of the Mongolian boarder..My mother was from the Ukraine - I have been in Canada all my life. My dad was a builder also - as was my sister and one of my younger brothers. The oldest sibling went the formal route and became a chemist - who married a wealthy Ukrainian farmers daughter..I was the freak who entered the arts - I remember the old ones - the musice - the food ...now the culture is gone and my kids have little knowledge of it other than memories of BABA when they were kids.

Arrived in Quebec city by boat in 1950...I don't remember of course - our history is very sketchy - between the Soviets destroying my dads family and shooting some of them - and my mother suffering the tail end of the starvation in the Ukraine - along with mentions of "exiles of" No one is a hundred percent sure - you are lucky to be able to trace things down...so lets talk about the food smells and the plastic on the furniture when you went to vist some old aunt or uncle who were really not relatives.

I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact date my grandparents arrived here in Canada but it appears they arrived in Winnipeg, possibly via the USA, in 1912. As far as I can tell he came from Horodenka, Austria and was born in 1892. My grandmother came from Markova, Podhajce, Poland and based upon the information I have received to date worked in Detroit. I am currently at an impasse in tracing some ancestors beyond that of my grandfather and grandmother. I don't speak Ukranian and as such transliteration is an issue for me.

Well, for starters, it tells police when there is a buildup of weapons. Secondly, the registry helps to solve crime, as can be seen in the Mayerthorpe Incident.

No, it tells police that once there were guns at some address at some time. It does not tell them what is actually in the house now. It does not mean that there are no guns at places that do not report registered weapons.

There was a crime that needed solving in Mayerthorpe? Roszko did it, never in dispute. They did not need the gun info to convict Cheeseman and his buddy, they are both dumb as posts and were going down with or without the gun evidence.

The CIA could curtail small weapon importation into Canada - but they don't bother - a destablized nation through violence becomes less civil and is easier to control and influence...They do it to other nations - and don't think that they think that Canada is special and should be spared.

It tells the police about 'registered' guns, not the illegal ones that a criminal will certainly not have registered. Therefore it serves very little purpose

That's so last year, when I thought it had a purpose. That's abut the only purpose I could find.

Any Canadian that owns a pistol illegally - is not like their American counter part. They do not brag or gesture - or threaten - They are extremely secretive about weapons...I never display my lead weighted club...We call it the family stick and it is always out of sight - but there in an extreme emergency. The authorities will never be able to trace down illegal fire arms in Canada - not the ones owned by gang bangers or respectable citizens..as I said...our weapons lay hidden ....Personally my now dead father in law who was a cop - left a bunch of weapons behind - I called up the cops and had them taken away..because _ I don't need them around...but some do I suppose.

According to Census Canada, it is the 7th largest city (by populace) in the country.

It is urban by definition.

(Including by the dictionary definition of "urban.")

Pinko obviously comes from the center of the universe and can't be bothered by anything west of Barrie. He is widely traveled (on the TTC,) and knows all there is to know about Canada as he has seen it all (except for Mississauga as it would cost an extra ticket)

Edited by Tilter

Pinko obviously comes from the center of the universe and can't be bothered by anything west of Barrie. He is widely traveled (on the TTC,) and knows all there is to know about Canada as he has seen it all (except for Mississauga as it would cost an extra ticket)

Winnipeg is in close proximity to the centre of Canada. My travel experiences are more diverse than you describe. I should say my travel experiences shouldn't be of concern to you.

It would tell(if the other Million gun owners of legal hunting guns had bothered to register them) where about 1/2 of the legitimate guns are. It is completely ion ignorance about the other thousands of machine guns, automatic pistols, sawed off shotguns, homemade pistols & Saturday nite specials. The gun registry is useful as a harassment tool for the lazy cops spying on law abiding citizens looking for an excuse to arrest someone.