Should the Kurds get their own state?

Bonam

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont even know what youre talking about here. I never advocated interfering with ANYTHING. Just posted my opinion that further dividing people along cultural, religious, or ethnic lines will make things worse not better.

... Im posting on a political forum, and one of the things we do on political forums is express our opinion on the topics that are posted.

Well Yeah North America is different because instead of carving up the continent into 20 or 30 ethnic and religious states those different ethnic and religious groups have lived together in either the US or Canada. If we had bulkanized into 20 or 30 states there would have been a prolonged series of wars already.

I don't mean to imply you don't have a right to give your opinion that's what the forum is about, so a poor choice of words on my part, apologies :( ....what I meant was what concern is of anyone/country to approve or disapprove of another ethnic having autonomy..whether a state is viable or not is theirs alone and no dominate/conquering imperial power should in this modern day still hold imperialistic feelings toward a conquered people....

you can speculate on what might have been in N america but there is no reason to believe it would happen either...

Quite a few Americans have died defending the basic human rights of life, love, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that includes freedom and democracy. Or we could all be speaking German under a fascist regime.

Nope...you're just making it up as you go. Quite a few Americans also died to protect the institution of slavery. There is no basic human right to democracy...you have to earn it the hard way.

Yup. I wonder where Kurdish public opinion is on this. Certainly the PKK doesn't speak for all Kurds.

Well, Balkanization came about as the result of war. After Tito died, relations between the states within Yugoslavia soured to the point of civil war. Yugoslavia didn't cease to exist until 1999. Never-the-less, the arbitrary declaration of independence by the Kurds would certainly lead to a civil war of sorts. Certainly between Iraqi Kurds and Shia and Sunni Muslims, as well as with Turkey to the north.

Furthermore, to call them oppressed is kind of a stretch. In Iraq, everyone is opressed. In Turkey, a few are being hunted because a lot Kurds in Turkey are marxist seperatist guerillas. You can't really be "opressed" if your being hunted due to the breaking of laws.

True, but leaving Iraq aside, the Kurds certainly have been oppressed by Turkey, far out of proportion for any reason the Turks had. (And everyone has reasons for what they do, at any rate.) We're talking genuine mass slaughters, that kind of terrible stuff.

Nope...you're just making it up as you go. Quite a few Americans also died to protect the institution of slavery. There is no basic human right to democracy...you have to earn it the hard way.

So why was the US involved in WWII then? The shining beacon that is freedom and democracy, is a facade?

• 2 weeks later...

No. They shouldn't. Not only do the Kurds want their own state, they also want a share of Iraqi oil resources, which doesn't exist in the actual Kurdish regions of either Turkey, Armenia or Iraq. The partition of the Iraqi state would only lead to civil war (or greater civil war) over resources.

Incorrect. Kurdish Iraq has very large oil reserves.

The Iraqi federal government Tuesday approved a deal that would allow oil exports from oil fields in the semi-autonomous region of Kurdistan in northern Iraq, which have been on hold for the last seven months over a payment row with Baghdad, a cabinet spokesman said